Looking for a NES Castlevania japanese lookalike

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

sykopat

Looking for a NES Castlevania japanese lookalike

Post by sykopat »

Hello everyone,

About +20 years ago, I rented a video game at a local video store. The game was of foreign origin. Japanese, chinese, I really do not recall as I was about 8 years old. The game was labeled as being Castlevania III (which obviously was not).

I do not remember a lot, but I do remember these details;
-The cartridge was a little smaller than a NES cartridge. It possibly came in 2 pieces attached together. (A Famicom game?)
-It did look a lot like a Castlevania title, but there was no whip, only fireballs.
-I remember a lot of outside stages, maybe cemeteries, tombs, I'm not sure.

Today, I stumbled on a game called Holy Diver. At first, I thought that I had finally found it, but after looking at a couple of YouTube videos of the game, I don't believe that's the one anymore. The game must be very similar, though. Maybe bigger fireballs, maybe more of a night / outdoor ambiance, a cape, a definite simon belmont lookalike.

I know most of you must think that it's impossible to find the game title, I know I'm not giving a lot of info, but remember, this must be like nearly 25 years ago hahaha. I'm really trying to dig into my memory right now as I've been looking for this game for years, now. I've looked at Castlevania Wikis (since I thought it could have been a japanese Castlevania).

If anyone has ANY idea, please feel free to suggest. I'd be a happier person to finally be able to put this behind me and find the frinkin title! hahaha.

Thanks, people.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I would suggest asking at a more NES focused site, like Nintendo Age or Nesworld. My knowledge of NES is pretty low, while Famicom is non-existent.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Looking for a NES Castlevania japanese lookalike

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sykopat wrote: I do not remember a lot, but I do remember these details;
-The cartridge was a little smaller than a NES cartridge. It possibly came in 2 pieces attached together. (A Famicom game?)
Sounds right. The second "part" would be the FC->NES adapter.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads