Windows 7 college discount

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Got my pre-order of it today for $50. Confirmed that the Vitsa upgrade trick still works... Had to do it that way because My Vista was 32 bit, and I wanted 64 bit for 7.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

so you can do a clean install with the upgrade version of win7? ie start with a clean HD and go from there?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

funkyass wrote:so you can do a clean install with the upgrade version of win7? ie start with a clean HD and go from there?
I wouldn't have called it clean. What happened with me is I formatted my drive and started from there. Had Vista 32 on there, and it would not let me upgrade to anything but 32 bit. . The first time when the install was finished and it asked me for my key, it told me it was invalid. (I am guessing because I did a clean install.) So I didn't enter a key and clicked continue, it let me in and gave me 3 days to activate. Then I popped the DVD back in and ran an upgrade over top of that which gave me a fully working x64 Windows 7 on a clean install.

I have been reading that people have been hit or miss on the install-upgrade option, and I guess it depends completely on what version you bought / downloaded. Mine was the pre-order upgrade version, which says directly on the box for an upgrade of XP, one needs to do a clean install.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i should note that if i so desired, i could get 7 ultimate for ~50 bucks from my college through the e-academy

but i don't, since pro was free, and i'm loving it just fine.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Okay, uh, apparently my University gets Windows 7 Pro for free...Okay, that was completely unexpected. Now I'm really tempted to download it.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

*headbutts desk repeatedly*

so that your brain might be mended
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Done and done.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Slight bump, so, I downloaded/paid for Home Premium from MS's website and now I'm in figuring out how to use a non-ISO file. The problem is after unpacking the file, a folder called "expandedSetup" shows up on the destkop. Okay, then what? There is no ISO image to burn to a DVD that I can see. I know that if people have trouble they can download the ISO from Microsoft (assuming one paid the $30) and do it that way. The dilemma is I will need to do a clean installation, so, how would one go about getting these unpacked Windows 7 files to start the installation process? Does that make sense? Should I try the ISO instead? None of the web browsers I get it from make it past 80MB.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There's a good chance there's a readme that tells you what to burn.

For huge downloads, get a download manager.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Seems that the link for the ISO I originally tried downloading was the 64-bit version, which is something the website admins did NOT inform those who visit it. One way or an other, I'll figure it out.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I have no idea how you made the mistake. There was a drop down that was like "Download .exe", "Download .exe 64bit", "Download .iso" and "Download .iso 64bit". I don't know how you could have fucked that up.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

paulguy wrote:I have no idea how you made the mistake. There was a drop down that was like "Download .exe", "Download .exe 64bit", "Download .iso" and "Download .iso 64bit". I don't know how you could have fucked that up.
he's aka that neo_bahamut guy, so what more did you expect?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

he also paid for it, after stating that he could get it for free from in university

FULL WIN7

couldn't resist
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

bahumat?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

@nintendo_nerd: There's a setup.exe in the folder. You need to use that to do a clean install of Windows 7. That confused me when I got it on launch day.

@paulguy: He bought it at a third party site of Microsoft, not from Microsoft's official store. Digital River handles the $30 student offer and they didn't provide an ISO file, which is really stupid. Read more problems about Digital River here.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yes, their (Digital River) not releasing an ISO image in the first place is asinine, but instead those stupid .box files, so, I downloaded the corresponding ISO instead and burned that to a DVD and, it load the setup just fine. Why they never released an ISO in the first place is beyond me.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

snkcube wrote:@nintendo_nerd: There's a setup.exe in the folder. You need to use that to do a clean install of Windows 7. That confused me when I got it on launch day.
HOW? It makes a folder called "ExpandedSetup" and you guys aren't smart enough to go there and take a look at what the first exe did?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
odditude

Post by odditude »

even franpa wrote:bahumat?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

odditude wrote:
even franpa wrote:bahumat?
:D

Sometimes, the automated obvious-that-anyone-cannot-screwup approach is the right one.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

odditude wrote:bahumat?
What if I am?
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Re: Windows 7 college discount

Post by darkbenny »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Okay, so as you all know Windows 7 was released today, and well I was considering buying it with a college discount. If you have an email with .edu or .ac or .uk can get either Home Premium or Professional for $30 or £30. So the question I have is, is it truly worth purchasing. Sure, it's cheap, but there's a slight problem with Home Premium; it only supports 1 physical CPU, whereas Professional supports up to 2 physical CPUs. Now, normally I would think in this situation, "get the Professional Edition!" Well, the problem with that is I play many games on here, so, it all boils down to "would it still be worth it to get that version?" Sure, it does have more features and support up to 192GB of RAM, but I would like to hear feedback from you guys.
Link to offer details>?

Also, is it available in Canada?
bringing Zsnes back
odditude

Post by odditude »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
What if I am?
*shrug* it just explains a great many things.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

odditude wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:
What if I am?
*shrug* it just explains a great many things.
Can I get a lol with that?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
WAT UP WIHT ME?
@odditude: why the hell do you think i raeg at him since he joined under that name

seriously, a franpa bitchslap is a nice hint you're doing stuff rong.

and i don't mean the engrish'ed long kind of rong
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Deathlike2 wrote: Can I get a lol with that?
Sure thing.