Windows 7 college discount

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Windows 7 college discount

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Okay, so as you all know Windows 7 was released today, and well I was considering buying it with a college discount. If you have an email with .edu or .ac or .uk can get either Home Premium or Professional for $30 or £30. So the question I have is, is it truly worth purchasing. Sure, it's cheap, but there's a slight problem with Home Premium; it only supports 1 physical CPU, whereas Professional supports up to 2 physical CPUs. Now, normally I would think in this situation, "get the Professional Edition!" Well, the problem with that is I play many games on here, so, it all boils down to "would it still be worth it to get that version?" Sure, it does have more features and support up to 192GB of RAM, but I would like to hear feedback from you guys.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Windows 7 college discount

Post by odditude »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Okay, so as you all know Windows 7 was released today, and well I was considering buying it with a college discount. If you have an email with .edu or .ac or .uk can get either Home Premium or Professional for $30 or £30. So the question I have is, is it truly worth purchasing. Sure, it's cheap, but there's a slight problem with Home Premium; it only supports 1 physical CPU, whereas Professional supports up to 2 physical CPUs. Now, normally I would think in this situation, "get the Professional Edition!" Well, the problem with that is I play many games on here, so, it all boils down to "would it still be worth it to get that version?" Sure, it does have more features and support up to 192GB of RAM, but I would like to hear feedback from you guys.
are you planning on buying/building a multi-socket workstation?

didn't think so.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

the RC is good till march 2010ish.

Win7 is overpriced, however.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

nintendo_nerd wrote:the usual scaredy-cat i-wanna-use-bleeding-edge-but-i'm-too-wuss-to-try bullshit
¬_¬
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude

Post by odditude »

funkyass wrote:Win7 is overpriced, however.
true. at least the retail pricing is back in line with 98/me/2000/xp, as opposed to vista... baby steps, i guess.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

odditude wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:Okay, so as you all know Windows 7 was released today, and well I was considering buying it with a college discount. If you have an email with .edu or .ac or .uk can get either Home Premium or Professional for $30 or £30. So the question I have is, is it truly worth purchasing. Sure, it's cheap, but there's a slight problem with Home Premium; it only supports 1 physical CPU, whereas Professional supports up to 2 physical CPUs. Now, normally I would think in this situation, "get the Professional Edition!" Well, the problem with that is I play many games on here, so, it all boils down to "would it still be worth it to get that version?" Sure, it does have more features and support up to 192GB of RAM, but I would like to hear feedback from you guys.
are you planning on buying/building a multi-socket workstation?

didn't think so.

I know the RC is good until March 2010 and after that, it begins to shut down every two hours until I buy the full version. The problem is that the promotion for $30 only lasts so long (not sure how long), and then since I have the RC 7100, I honestly don't know whether or not I'll have to reformat my hard drives (something I do not like doing). Another problem is I'd be downgrading from Ultimate to Home Premium. Professional, however, isn't as big as a gap, feature-wise.

Oh, and grinvader, I couldn't agree more. Yes, I admit that there are countless times where I'm afraid to try, but you're right; I don't need to be. I'm just asking for feedback/opinions.
odditude

Post by odditude »

you'll need to perform a clean installation of windows, yes.

whether or not you actually format your system partition or not is up to you, but i would highly recommend it.

if wiping a drive gives you that much agita, then it's time to start separating your apps from your data - either via partitioning, multiple drives, or both.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

odditude wrote:you'll need to perform a clean installation of windows, yes.

whether or not you actually format your system partition or not is up to you, but i would highly recommend it.

if wiping a drive gives you that much agita, then it's time to start separating your apps from your data - either via partitioning, multiple drives, or both.
In that case, can you recommend some good partitioning programs I can use to do that ahead of time, or does Windows 7 RC have them built in? What I'm trying to figure out is a way I can transfer files, or at find a way so my files aren't affected. I'd rather not have one partition affect the other, especially if I decide to get Windows 7 retail.
odditude

Post by odditude »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
odditude wrote:you'll need to perform a clean installation of windows, yes.

In that case, can you recommend some good partitioning programs I can use to do that ahead of time, or does Windows 7 RC have them built in? What I'm trying to figure out is a way I can transfer files, or at find a way so my files aren't affected. I'd rather not have one partition affect the other, especially if I decide to get Windows 7 retail.
the disk management snap-in (diskmgmt.msc) is your friend. the 6.x version supports partition resizing, which is a dramatic improvment over the version in 2000/xp.

there's also a capable partitioning tool baked-in to the vista/7 installer.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

college discount?

i got mine for free, a few weeks ago, from my college.

been lovin' it.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Hmmm. Maybe I can do the same, since each college is different. If only they had Ultimate as a college discount....
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I'm sure you can just delete everything but C:\Users and just install to C:\. As long as you have the same username, it should pick up on it. I did this in XP. You'll probably still keep most of your personal preferences, too.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote: the disk management snap-in (diskmgmt.msc) is your friend. the 6.x version supports partition resizing, which is a dramatic improvment over the version in 2000/xp.
SEXY!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Okay, now the one thing I'm not 100% sure about now is the CPU support. When I compare the different editions (Home Premium and Professional) one says "one physical CPU" whereas Pro says "up to two physical CPUs"...would it be safe to assume the Core 2 Duo I have would be used to its full potential in Home Premium? I know dual cores are one chip, yes, but there are two cores inside that one chip, so, how will it be affected?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Yeah when it says physicl it means it. 2 cores on 1 chip = 1 CPU
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Good, now I don't have to worry. It still sucks that there won't be any Ultimate edition, but whatever.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Yeah I "think" Vista Ultimate, Windows 7 PRO and Ultimate are the first general consumer Windows O/S that allows for 2 physical CPU's.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
odditude

Post by odditude »

franpa wrote:Yeah I "think" Vista Ultimate, Windows 7 PRO and Ultimate are the first general consumer Windows O/S that allows for 2 physical CPU's.
no. neither vista business/ultimate nor 7 pro/ultimate are general consumer versions. they fall into the same category (both market-wise and in # of cpus supported) as xp pro, 2000 pro, nt 4.0 workstation, nt 3.51 workstation, nt 3.5 workstation, and nt 3.1.

more accurately, xp was the first version of nt that included a "general consumer" version.

the general consumer versions (supporting 1 physical CPU) are xp home/mce, vista home basic/home premium, and 7 basic/home premium.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Good, now I don't have to worry. It still sucks that there won't be any Ultimate edition, but whatever.
dude what are you talking about

there is SO an ultimate edition for 7 :?

and odditude, if that's true, how come I, as a consumer, can get ultimate and pro off newegg, or some other store :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:if that's true, how come I, as a consumer, can get ultimate and pro off newegg, or some other store :?
for the exact same reason you can get server 2008 off newegg. just because they're not aimed at general consumers doesn't mean they're not sold in stores.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

heh, my community college game me two liscences plus a lot of other microsoft software via MSDN Academic Advantage (or is it Alliance?)

looking at the retail values it is worth far more than my classes cost so it was a pretty sweet deal.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

adventure_of_link wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:Good, now I don't have to worry. It still sucks that there won't be any Ultimate edition, but whatever.
I was talking about there being no Ultimate Edition with college student discounts. There's no bloody way I'd ever want to cough up $300. Would you recommend getting it despite that fact that I'd be going down to a less-featured OS?
odditude

Post by odditude »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
I was talking about there being no Ultimate Edition with college student discounts. There's no bloody way I'd ever want to cough up $300. Would you recommend getting Home Premium despite that fact that I'd be going down to a less-featured OS?
depends what the cost differential is. if you didn't mistype above (and they're both $30), then pro is the way to go (7 home premium is a subset of 7 pro, with no extra features that pro doesn't have - unlike the differences between vista home premium and vista business).

you'll likely never use the extra functionality, but it can't hurt for it to be there.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
I was talking about there being no Ultimate Edition with college student discounts. There's no bloody way I'd ever want to cough up $300. Would you recommend getting it despite that fact that I'd be going down to a less-featured OS?
Oh. started to say, I thought you didn't know there was SO an ultimate version of 7. but hey.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Don't you need to be part of the MSDN Academic Alliance in order to get Pro? Or does that mean that my college is a part of it? I'm pretty sure I'd have to pay to join ($19), but if I can somehow get Pro without hassle, then, I'll most likely get Pro.