New PC for windows 7, but where can a Canuck get a deal?

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

New PC for windows 7, but where can a Canuck get a deal?

Post by darkbenny »

Now $1,3491

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)
Microsoft Works 9.0, English
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with In Home Service after Remote Diagnosis
No Monitor
9GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Essentials
Please contact me with more details
No Modem Option
Dell USB Keyboard
Dell Optical USB Mouse
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
No Installation
Accessories
Also Includes
nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1792MB
Studio XPS 9000
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language

Yay or nay on this (and why or why not)? Components are expensive in Canada but if anyone could suggest an alternative I'm all ears.

Has anyone here used newegg Canada?

CC'd @ the Boat
bringing Zsnes back
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Why Bloomfield and not Lynnfield?
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

That PC just look the same as what I want to build. The problem with Lynnfields in Newegg is that they are combed with 2 things. The LGA1366 also have a capacity on 24GB of Memory that I don't know if is possible to use unless Windows 7 uses more than 8GB of RAM. Man is too dam bad that the upcoming i9 comes in Extreme Edition only...
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Why would you waste money on a 1792MB GTX 260? You won't need that much video RAM, for the same price you could get something better. The GTX260 is ancient history now. Everything else is going to limit you far before the amount of video RAM does. Get an HD5850 or something or wait for the 300 series. Also why 9GB RAM? Fat chance you're going to need that much anytime in the near future. 6 DIMMs totaling 9GB? Wtf? 1.5GB DIMMs?

Most importantly, build it yourself, you may as well be a woman and buy a Mac if you're going to order from Dell. The only reason to ever buy a computer pre-built is if it's something like a laptop which they don't sell all the parts for to build yourself.

Use sites like shopbot to get an idea on on price: http://www.shopbot.ca/
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I did mention Lynnfield, but kind of forgot that LGA-1366 (currently Bloomfield) may have a 6 core upgrade path in the future.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Cyrus wrote:Also why 9GB RAM? Fat chance you're going to need that much anytime in the near future.
You never know what people want to do with their compies (tm)

6 DIMMs totaling 9GB? Wtf? 1.5GB DIMMs?
This I was also wondering about.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:
Cyrus wrote:Also why 9GB RAM? Fat chance you're going to need that much anytime in the near future.
You never know what people want to do with their compies (tm)

6 DIMMs totaling 9GB? Wtf? 1.5GB DIMMs?
This I was also wondering about.
3x2GB, 3x1GB.

it wasn't uncommon to see 3GB (2x1GB, 2x512MB) on dual-channel retail systems, either.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

odditude wrote:it wasn't uncommon to see 3GB (2x1GB, 2x512MB) on dual-channel retail systems, either.
i kinda skipped that step, fmd
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
franpa
Gecko snack

Re: New PC for windows 7, but where can a Canuck get a deal?

Post by franpa »

darkbenny wrote:Now $1,3491
If you have 13 grand to spend on a pc, go for it.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There is never enough stealing of teh Gigglebytes.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Re: New PC for windows 7, but where can a Canuck get a deal?

Post by darkbenny »

franpa wrote:
darkbenny wrote:Now $1,3491
If you have 13 grand to spend on a pc, go for it.
hah, if I had 13 grand I'd give it to you for making such a funny! :wink:
Actual price is $1349 :roll:

Thanks for the input thus far guys, I'm aware the video card is not really up to snuff, but I figure I'll swap it out within a year's time for something decent.

Going pre-build is less of a hassel for me, and seems to be much, much cheaper than building a system piece by piece. I'll be throwing down for this PC or another sometime this week. Until then, keep the suggestions coming.
bringing Zsnes back
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

The November combos in newegg are shit compared to the past combos of October... I'll have to wait until December or January. I must stay as close as $1200 USD and only for the tower and it's internals. That means a 600GB or less hard drive, a low standard DDR3 memory and a average video card until I can upgrade. I'm still undecided about the DVD Multi recorder because many say that Plextor are the best but their price...
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Sign up for the newegg news letter. It has a lot of specials, and e-mails you like a few times a week.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

grinvader wrote: You never know what people want to do with their compies (tm)
Even if he's trying to win an e-penis contest 9GB is too much. DDR3-1066 would be 133MHz anyway, standard has always been 200MHz and it hasn't changed for DDR3. The average DDR3 RAM these days would be DDR3-1600.
odditude wrote: 3x2GB, 3x1GB.
I've never used uneven amounts of RAM, so it doesn't interrupt triple channel then?
I.S.T. wrote:Sign up for the newegg news letter. It has a lot of specials, and e-mails you like a few times a week.
I'm signed up for Newegg's news letters and they're generally not that good. NCIX's tend to be better and give you reward points for each one. I usually end up ordering from NCIX because they charge 5% tax instead of 13% that Newegg does so even if Newegg's items are a bit cheaper ordering from NCIX ends up cheaper anyway.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

how would it interrupt triple channel?

there are three of each DIMM.

as in, two sets. triple channel doesn't run on 6 sticks.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

sweener2001 wrote:how would it interrupt triple channel?

there are three of each DIMM.

as in, two sets. triple channel doesn't run on 6 sticks.
Who knows, some motherboards are made like shit and if all DIMMs aren't exactly the same the mobo shits itself and dies. That wouldn't be the first time I've ran across that scenario. And don't forget this is Dell we're talking about so you'll have to excuse me for questioning them. Before you buy a motherboard from companies like, oh say, Asus, look up what RAM it supports on their official website and prepare to be unpleasantly surprised. That's how it used to be anyway.

You worded that very awkwardly, 3 of each DIMM totaling 2 sets, what are you trying to say? And yes it can run on 6 sticks.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Cyrus wrote:Who knows, some motherboards are made like shit and if all DIMMs aren't exactly the same the mobo shits itself and dies.
:lol:

When dual-channel was available for RDRAM (lol RAMBUS) or even DDR, you must buy in pairs only if you wish to take advantage of the benefits.

In the same way with tri-channel, you obviously need 3.

These advantages truly exist, although I'm totally not sure why it was required with older RAM back in the old 486 lol days.

In any case, it's nicer that RAM is sold in sets these days.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Cyrus wrote:Who knows, some motherboards are made like shit and if all DIMMs aren't exactly the same the mobo shits itself and dies.
:lol:
I'm talking about motherboards which were so shitty that they had problems running and would sometimes crash if the RAM used weren't all exactly the same. As in a 1GB Corsair stick used with a 2GB Corsair stick with the same specs would cause it to crash. I'm not talking about RAMBUS RAM. RAMBUS wouldn't even work unless all the RIMM slots were filled.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

For the longest time I can remember, a motherboard supporting Dual Channel meant it had 2 sets of 2 DIMMs. the first pair was considered Channel A and the second pair Channel B. You need a matching pair of memory sticks but each channel can have a different pair.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

*sigh*

Dual channel means the memory controller sorta spools accesses to both ram slots connected, essentially doubling the speed when stuff was laid out properly.
A single set of 2 dimms can make use of it. 2 sets of two as well. Other amounts didn't work out nicely.

For triple channel, it's the same thing but a pseudo-spool over 3 connectors. You need at least 3 dimms to use it.

@Deathlike: they're sold by set because they're tested by set. A memory kit these days is produced to meet the base reqs, then the [2|3] dimms are tested together at higher clocks (with higher voltages for some) to see if they can pull it off - if they do, they label the set with the tested clockage (and sell it with an adjusted price tag, of course); if they don't, they just package/sell them vanilla.
At least that's how I understood the stuff on corsair's homepage.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:@Deathlike: they're sold by set because they're tested by set. A memory kit these days is produced to meet the base reqs, then the [2|3] dimms are tested together at higher clocks (with higher voltages for some) to see if they can pull it off - if they do, they label the set with the tested clockage (and sell it with an adjusted price tag, of course); if they don't, they just package/sell them vanilla.
At least that's how I understood the stuff on corsair's homepage.
Yes, they always do this in batches anyways. The RAM's SPDs have some info on it (it's like a separate component or something) when they were made (or produced or whatever the term is, it's only the week # and year). It's probably a given that those should match up when you look at the SPD.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote: These advantages truly exist, although I'm totally not sure why it was required with older RAM back in the old 486 lol days.
Because the 30-pin SIMMs were only 8-bit devices and the 486 had a 32-bit bus.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote: These advantages truly exist, although I'm totally not sure why it was required with older RAM back in the old 486 lol days.
Because the 30-pin SIMMs were only 8-bit devices and the 486 had a 32-bit bus.
Ah, those were the days.

What about EDO/FPage? They were 16-bit?
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

the 30 pin simms where 16 bit, as gill said you need pairs for the 32 bit memory bus for the 386/486's. according to wikipedia, they provided 9bits of data, or 8 later in the article.

the 72 pin SIMMs(EDO/FPM) were 32-bit: but they needed to be paired for the 64-bit memory bus of the pentiums.

RDRAM also needed to be paired as well.

and all the above were fucking PICKY about who they paired up with.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.