Windows 7 retail runs beautifully, but...

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Windows 7 retail runs beautifully, but...

Post by nintendo_nerd »

I know I've had this problem in the past (with all OSes I've had), you know, Windows XP, Windows 7 RC1 and now Windows 7 Home Premium. So, Windows 7 comes with a plethora of drivers for pretty much every kind of device out there including printers, biometric devices and even USB toasters. I currently have an Epson Stylus C120 printer than worked perfectly fine on RC1 which was set up to be shared with another computer. One PC has Windows 7 Retail (which has the printer connected) whereas other PC has Windows XP (with shared printing). So. my brother, who's infinitely more computer savvy than me, was at first boggled at the printer's lack or cooperation, but after a few minutes, he managed to get the shared printing working fine. Here's the problem, both PCs list the printer as "Epson C5/generic printer" or something to that effect (can't remember off the top of my head). So, I proceed to print out a schedule for my next term in school. While printing, Windows recommended that I "update the printer with an official driver from epson.com", which I did right away. Well, the driver was "properly" installed and finally recognized it with the correct name. The problem now is that the printer is completely unusable, esp. since it's now called "printer name (copy 1)". How a printer works better in the RC1 versus retail is beyond me. The troubleshooting FAQ on their site is a bunch of BS, so, if uninstalling the device, rebooting and even updating the drivers to the very latest doesn't make the printer work at all, what else is there to do?
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

This is why you do a clean install of Windows instead of an upgrade...
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

it's why you download drivers from the manufacturer whenever possible.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

you can choose the printer you print to.

or you can delete the printer and re-add it.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Have you tried finding the printer in the device manager, and clicking update driver. IIRC there was an option after that to go online and use windows update to find the latest driver.

It could be worse. My network printer (using a trendnet printserver) was obsoleted by the move from Vista to 7. When I went online to look for drivers all I got was a page telling me to take it in using their trade-in program.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

franpa wrote:This is why you do a clean install of Windows instead of an upgrade...
But I already did a clean installation for Windows, that's the thing. I go to "devices and printers", remove the device, add a printer, and when I choose "windows update" to find the drivers, I go to Epson only to find that the specific driver model doesn't exist. In fact, everything but "Epson Stylus C120" seems to exist on the list. I downloaded the official manufacturer's drivers and that didn't do anything, either. The device manager lists two devices as "unknown devices", which can't be updated via "Update Driver Software" (it tells me it "can't find drivers") , but I can uninstall them. Why there are two unknown devices listed is beyond me. I've half a mind to delete them and reboot.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

d00d, srsly.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... e=Overview

took all of two seconds by going to their main site, picking north america, picking drivers & support, picking printers->view all, and then "epson stylus c120."

also,
nintendo_nerd wrote:esp. since it's now called "printer name (copy 1)"
uhm, no. the name windows gives the device has absolutely nothing to do with why you can't use it. did you try opening up that printer's property sheet, printing a test page, and then renaming it to something more to your liking?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Here's a good hint: Windows Update is the LAST place where you WANT to update your drivers from.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

nintendo_nerd wrote:GREAT WALL OF SHAMEFUL SUCK
tl;dr

as in thread locked - double ridiculous
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54