Well, this is kick in the crotch

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Well, this is kick in the crotch

Post by nintendo_nerd »

So, I was reading on the Virtual Console website, and saw this article. I know it mentions the UK/EU region, but I'm 100% sure it's applicable in the US, too. http://vc.nintendolife.com/news/2009/11 ... al_console If this is really what's happening, it would certainly explain a lot, like their denial for letting Square Enix release more Final Fantasy games. It might also explain why Bionic Commando wasn't released, either.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

As far as Nintendo not re-releasing final fantasy games and such, it's all due to licensing agreements. they don't have an OK amongst all developers, then it's a no-go.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

I don't know, but either way, the info in that article can't be good. Why would there be licensing agreement issues? Can't Square Enix and Nintendo work it out? As far as Earthbound is concerned, it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

nintendo_nerd wrote:I don't know, but either way, the info in that article can't be good. Why would there be licensing agreement issues? Can't Square Enix and Nintendo work it out? As far as Earthbound is concerned, it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
Uh... remember, the 3rd party made the game, so they also own the copyrights on it. Yes, it's possible Nintendo and Squeenix can work things out, but would it be worth the time? Probably not.

and yes I agree games like earthbound sadly don't have any chance to get ported over. :( still, leaves me to one thing... IIRC one problem with putting earthbound in the states was all the refrences, right? then by that logic Family Guy should've stayed shut down and never brought back, since it contains refrences to lots of things (mostly star wars though)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

You're probably right, it wouldn't be worth waiting for Nintendo->Square Enix
to work things out. Earthbound did have a butt load of references which may cause it to never see the light of day. Thank goodness we can use emulators in order to spite the asininity of certain companies.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

nintendo_nerd wrote:Earthbound did have a butt load of references which may cause it to never see the light of day. Thank goodness we can use emulators in order to spite the asininity of certain companies.
which still leaves the question: how is family guy allowed to refer to things all the damn time and still be allowed on the air yet earthbound had to jump through a billion and one hoops to be brought over :?
NSRT here.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

adventure_of_link wrote: which still leaves the question: how is family guy allowed to refer to things all the damn time and still be allowed on the air yet earthbound had to jump through a billion and one hoops to be brought over :?
That is one thing we'll never be able to figure out.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Frankly if I was Nintendo, I too would tell Capcom to fuck off after they neither make the Bionic Commando remake nor the new game for the Wii, but then do want to offload the old NES game on my console just to make some sales on the side.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

adventure_of_link wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:Earthbound did have a butt load of references which may cause it to never see the light of day. Thank goodness we can use emulators in order to spite the asininity of certain companies.
which still leaves the question: how is family guy allowed to refer to things all the damn time and still be allowed on the air yet earthbound had to jump through a billion and one hoops to be brought over :?
They are not one and the same you moron.

You can make references to anything, but it's not being sold for profit (not that the companies themselves aren't profiting, but not in the same way).

Frankly, just making that comparison is Oskar-class of stupid. Stop immediately before we dub thee.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Well, this is kick in the crotch

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:So, I was reading on the Virtual Console website, and saw this article. I know it mentions the UK/EU region, but I'm 100% sure it's applicable in the US, too. http://vc.nintendolife.com/news/2009/11 ... al_console If this is really what's happening, it would certainly explain a lot, like their denial for letting Square Enix release more Final Fantasy games. It might also explain why Bionic Commando wasn't released, either.
Errr.... what does that have to do with Final Fantasy OR Bionic Commando?
It says Nintendo MIGHT be blocking release that DIRECTLY COMPETE WITH Nintendo's releases.

If you consider FF a direct competitor to EarthBound and Bionic Commando is a direct competitor to Super Mario World... well, you've been smoking a little too much of whatever EarthBound's writers were on.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
byuu

Post by byuu »

One of these days I hope to understand why anyone here gives a shit about VC releases.

"Oh man, if only I could pay way too much to get a DRM-locked file of a game I already paid for that only runs in perhaps the shittiest emulator ever made on my TV! The only thing better would be if I also got to pay another $30 for a controller that wasn't a PowerPoint presentation device!"
Nintendo has apparently struggled to emulate Super Mario Kart on the Virtual Console and if Street Racer had been released beforehand, it would make Nintendo look somewhat inept.
No kidding. A group of hobbyist teenagers and young adults got the DSP-1 bit-perfect, yet the people who designed the chip can't figure it out. Even with Andreas Naive's public domain complete implementation freely available. Not only are they inept, they're also insanely prideful to willfully ignore that research.
Last edited by byuu on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:As far as Nintendo not re-releasing final fantasy games and such, it's all due to licensing agreements. they don't have an OK amongst all developers, then it's a no-go.
WHAT other developers? The games are owned by SquareEnix.
Negotiating a deal with SquareEnix is no different than negotiating a deal with Capcom, Konami, Hudson, or anyone else.

There are no amazing confusing licensing issues here.
The most likely issue is anything Squeenix thinks will sell, they want to reissue for 40 bucks on a DS card instead of 5 bucks on a download. Combine that with Nintendo's limited release schedule, and hey, there's no point.

That's as inane and retarded as the old "Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy on PS1 is illegal because Nintendo owns them" argument was.

Unless by "licensing issues" you meant "SquareEnix doesn't want their games on the Virtual Console." In which case you're just being blindingly obvious.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i can play earthbound on wii

and any 8-bit or 16-bit FF. i could maybe do 32-bit, but i haven't tried bothering with that.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Homebrew ftw.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

snkcube wrote:Homebrew ftw.
Agreed. Homebrew is the only solution people have for playing the aforementioned games. Sure, some people may consider it "illegal" to use emulators, but I don't, provided you own the actual game in the first place. WAD files on the other hand, now that's just stupid (so many people abuse those for playing games they never paid for), not to mention you risk bricking your wii (if the WAD file has a corrupt banner). The Classic Controller also adds to the nostalgia. Too bad I don't have money for one of those SNES to GCN controllers.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I like how you decide what is or isn't illegal based off of how you feel.

Here's a hint: THE LAW IS THE LAW. Whether or not it should be the law is one thing. it's another to pretend it doesn't exist.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:As far as Nintendo not re-releasing final fantasy games and such, it's all due to licensing agreements. they don't have an OK amongst all developers, then it's a no-go.
WHAT other developers? The games are owned by SquareEnix.
Negotiating a deal with SquareEnix is no different than negotiating a deal with Capcom, Konami, Hudson, or anyone else.

There are no amazing confusing licensing issues here.
The most likely issue is anything Squeenix thinks will sell, they want to reissue for 40 bucks on a DS card instead of 5 bucks on a download. Combine that with Nintendo's limited release schedule, and hey, there's no point.

That's as inane and retarded as the old "Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy on PS1 is illegal because Nintendo owns them" argument was.

Unless by "licensing issues" you meant "SquareEnix doesn't want their games on the Virtual Console." In which case you're just being blindingly obvious.
I was also trying to say the same about other 3rd party games, not just FF.
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

snkcube wrote:Homebrew ftw.
indeed.

for emulators, i only have snes and gba ones.

most of the time, homebrew doesn't interest me that much, but the wii has some interesting programs and games.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I.S.T. wrote:I like how you decide what is or isn't illegal based off of how you feel.

Here's a hint: THE LAW IS THE LAW. Whether or not it should be the law is one thing. it's another to pretend it doesn't exist.
No reply to this, nintendo?
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

The Man™ can't keep him down!!
User Error: Please replace user
nintendo

Post by nintendo »

I.S.T. wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:I like how you decide what is or isn't illegal based off of how you feel.

I don't really care.
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

2/10
User Error: Please replace user
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Killa B wrote:2/10
I'd say more like 6/10.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

I really like Earthbound (10/10)
bringing Zsnes back
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

nintendo wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

I don't really care.
How clever Johan_H... :P
NSRT here.