16:10 fullscreen

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

trallala
Rookie

16:10 fullscreen

Post by trallala »

maybe you're already aware of this, but whenever i go fullscreen on my 16:10 monitor, zsnes acts like its 16:9, resulting in black bars all around the screen. i'd really appreciate if you'd add support for 16:10 monitors. also i'd like to say thank you for putting your time and energy in this kick ass emulator. it's very much appreciated :) (by me anyway)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You're supposed to disable "Use/Keep 4:3 Ratio".

On the other hand, you do know that these games were designed for a 4:3 ratio? It's worth pointing out unless you want the stretching regardless.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

you misunderstand me, i do not wish to have the picture strechted to 16:10. i meant that zsnes generates the black bares above and beneath the picture as if i were using a 16:9 monitor, so its basically creating a 4:3 picture within a 16:9 which is annoying. without those bars, the picture would be bigger

on a different note: it already happened a couple of times, that the screen went black for a couple of seconds, while i was playing terranigma. what could be responsible for this?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Some games have black bars put into them intentionally by the game developer.

IIRC, Terranigma is definitely one of them.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

If it happens on other games that don't have bars, you could try setting a custom resolution to the native resolution of your monitor. That should remove any driver/monitor funkiness with non-native resolutions.
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

the custom resolution would have to be 1066x800 or 1067x800*, but neither one works (apparently my gfx card is THAT bad). and the black bar problem has nothing to do with the game; the zsnes menu has those bars too and they are in size identical to the ones when im watching a 16:9 video.

*my monitors native resolution is 1280x800
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Hold on, what's your video card and OS?
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

windows vista & intel gma x3100
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

now what?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I don't have any suggestions for Intel cards, other than avoiding them like the plague.
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

yeah well i cant really do jack shit about it since im using a laptop.
if its any help, this is pretty much what it looks like although thats not my monitor (i took the picture frome here).

do you at least know what could be causing my screen to go black for a few seconds every now and then? also zsnes freezes a lot for a few split seconds when i play terranigma (about once or twice a minute). is this due to my hardware or would that happen anyway even if wouldnt be using the worst laptop ever? (intel celeron 530; 1gb ddr2-533)
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

My netbook with Intel GMA 950 (i.e. worse than yours) can run ZSNES fine, fully stretched to 1024x600 with no borders.

You might have accidentally forced 16:9 in the Intel drivers. Open the Intel graphics control panel from the system tray or whatever, go to Display Settings and click the Aspect Ratio options. Click the Full Screen (No border) option.

Also make sure you are actually using your native resolution with ZSNES by inputing a Custom DS Full resolution (1280x800) into the box or via the zsnesw.cfg file.

Code: Select all

; ZSNES will hang if an invalid fullscreen resolution is used.
cvidmode=39
; Last windowed & fullscreen modes (used when alt-tabbing)
PrevWinMode=2
PrevFSMode=39

; Custom Resolution X and Y for Custom Video Modes [256x224..2048x1536]
CustomResX=1280
CustomResY=800
Then you can force 4:3 through ZSNES if you wish.
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

great, now i have a different problem

i set the native resolution to 1280x800 but now it wont freakin change it to it. i can pick one from the list but if i click the "set" button above the fields for the custom resolution, it isnt doing anything anymore, regardless what resolution i enter.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

that "set" button only defines the custom resolution. to actually use it, you have to choose custom win/full from the upper box and hit the upper set button.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

ok apparently im retarded
for whatever reason i didnt scroll down entirely to where it said "custom"

but when i choose custom dr f the picture is just as stretched as when i choose custom s f/ds f (bars are gone though). why is that?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Do you have any filters enabled?
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

i played around with the filters but it didnt do anything. what filters do you suggest would change anything?

btw i was wrong when i said "bars are gone". they're only gone on custom s f and custom ds f. on custom dr f the picture is stretched horizontally and i got the bars.

why is this happening?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

R modes use use the internal rendering RATIO size of the SNES (8:7). S always implies STRETCHING.
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

yes i get that
what i dont get is why zsnes still stretches the screen when i set it to custom dr f. it shouldnt since it itsnt told to stretch

and also, even then i still have black bars
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

So with an R mode, it is stretched with the edges cut off? or what? lol your monitor or your drivers likely have an option to retain aspect ratio instead of forcing 16x9/10 for everything
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I blame lame Intel drivers for this.
trallala
Rookie

Post by trallala »

ok
then i request a feature
the feature being support for 16:10 mode on fullscreen w/o stretched picture with "lame intel drivers"

any chance you'll consider it?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

No, not really.

1) The image is intended to be stretched for a 4:3 screen. You already have the ability to stretch to non-standard ratios if you wish.

2) If your video card is not producing a proper image from the R modes (in other words, no stretching), it's a broken behavior with your video card, not ZSNES.
DiePlageX2

Fullscreen (vertical) impossible at 1920x1080

Post by DiePlageX2 »

Hello everyone,

I can confirm that I have not been able to configure ZSNES to use 100% of the vertical resolution on two systems.
Both systems use ATI IGPs (HD3200, HD3470) running at 1920x1080 and 1440x900.

My settings are:
Custom resolution (equals physical resolution of panel), stretching disabled, filters enabled (super eagle).

As stretching is disabled, there are of course big black bars on the left and right but there are as well ~50px high bars on top and at the bottom.
These bars exist in all games as well as the menu.
I have had this problem for years know and I have tried at least a dozen catalyst versions.
However, while I really would like to know a fix for this I can very well live with the black bars :-)

HOWEVER I have another system connected to a 1920x1080 HDTV which used to have this symptoms but they are suddenly gone. I will try to nail this down and let you know.
I *THINK* that I changed a setting in the depth of the catalyst drivers that was something about "compensating for different pixel formats".

Cheers

DiePlage
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

you actually want to use a DS F resolution with the keep 4:3 checked.

that's what a snes does. it stretches the picture.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]