Comcast is full of BS

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Comcast is full of BS

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yeah, I know, before you flame me or severely reprimand me, I know that there are way too many threads from me, but don't worry, I've actually done research this time around! Yay for me being smart (sort of)! Now, I've had Comcast as an ISP since 2004, and for the most part, they've been pretty reliable. Over the years, their connection speed has become significantly faster (I sometimes get 2.5MB per second instead of 350KB on most files). In fact, websites like youtube load beautifully for the most part. I would say "all the time" but I can't. I've uploaded videos on there all the time, with no problems aside from the usual "upload failure" errors. I've found out most of those issues are caused by incorrect formats, since youtube recommends .AVI or .MP4 with MP3 encoded stereo sound, and so on, as long as they don't exceed 2GB. That's why I use Camstudio, VirtualDub and a generic AVI to MP4 converter. Since yesterday, any upload attempt on youtube causes all of the computers (which are networked) to suddenly lose their internet connection, causing the modem to reset on its own and a yellow "!" triangle to appear on the bottom right corner. This happened five to six times yesterday, so I called Comcast. To make a long story short, they told me to but a new modem and that there were no area outages. The bandwidth limit is 250GB, which I know for a fact I did not exceed, as I can surf and download anything I want to without disconnection. It only happens while uploading on youtube. All unnecessary resource-hogging processes have been disabled. What in the name of holy crap is causing this? I'm almost convinced Comcast is either throttling the bandwidth, or youtube is somehow preventing me, despite the fact I haven't violated the terms and conditions/copyrights. I can't switch ISPs since the other ones suck (Digis, AT&T, Qwest) and the only fiber optic ISP doesn't cover this part of the city. The Comcast tech rep. found it "weird that youtube is causing that issue", which makes me pretty suspicious. Are they screwing me over, or what?
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Comcast is full of BS

Post by odditude »

nintendo_nerd wrote:I'm almost convinced Comcast is either throttling the bandwidth
that would slow down transfers, not crash your cable modem.
nintendo_nerd wrote:or youtube is somehow preventing me
why yes, youtube is maliciously crashing your cable modem to keep you from uploading shitty videos.[/sarcasm]

...so what makes you think that your cable modem isn't borked?

anyway, duplicate it without the router present to make sure it's not your router making the modem freak out, then buy a new modem (or pursue warranty replacement of your current one if applicable).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

I can get a new modem for free, as it's still covered under warranty. Heck, maybe two years is too long to have a modem...? I've even gone as far as using proxies, but most don't support javascript. It's frustrating to say the least, so frustrating in fact, I want call corporate offices and tell them a thing or two, but I'm not; doing so would be very immature. I'll call them tomorrow and see what the crap is going on.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

two years and no firmware update? same question with the router

also, paragraphs.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

nintendo_nerd wrote:I can get a new modem for free, as it's still covered under warranty. Heck, maybe two years is too long to have a modem...? I've even gone as far as using proxies, but most don't support javascript. It's frustrating to say the least, so frustrating in fact, I want call corporate offices and tell them a thing or two, but I'm not; doing so would be very immature. I'll call them tomorrow and see what the crap is going on.
did you even try odditude's advice?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

I've seen issues where everything works fine except uploading with a bad router, it's most likely your router. still I'd get a free router and see if that's it first.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:I'd get a free brain and see if that's it first.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:
PHoNyMiKe wrote:I'd get a free brain and see if that's it first.
Demand for a refund and if they ask why, just say "duh".
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

funkyass wrote: did you even try odditude's advice?
No, since one, I barely woke up and two, the Comcast office isn't even open until 9AM where I live.
mytmyke
Rookie

Post by mytmyke »

I've had a modem go bad. Since it is covered by the warranty, go get it and try it out.
odditude

Post by odditude »

odditude wrote:duplicate it without the router present to make sure it's not your router making the modem freak out
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

odditude wrote:
odditude wrote:duplicate it without the router present to make sure it's not your router making the modem freak out
You mean to temporarily unplug the router and then see if I can upload. Okay, perhaps it would be courteous to let the people who share our router know, since we rent out an apartment. At least this way, I can know for sure.

Edit 11:28AM: Well, that was a strange turn of events....So, I tried bypassing the router and reset the modem, at first it didn't work, then I tried the latest beta of Firefox 3.6, and there it almost got all the way through (about 85%). However, after completely resetting the computer and loading the latest official version of Firefox (3.5.6) I managed to upload a file all the way. Why it's suddenly working now is beyond me. Perhaps this is a fluke, but as I test more videos, it'll be easier to pinpoint.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Wait wait wait... you were using some beta software? You need to get a freaking clue when you trace problems with a connection.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

for one:
funkyass wrote:basically this error can't be corrected without replacing the user.
for two: now you tell us other people besides your family are using the same connection?

insert facepalm.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

funkyass wrote:for one:
funkyass wrote:basically this error can't be corrected without replacing the user.
for two: now you tell us other people besides your family are using the same connection?

insert facepalm.
Yes, that's right, albeit wirelessly. But as I said earlier, it seems to be working ATM. What caused it earlier was likely to be a PEBKAC error (and I admit it if was indeed something I screwed up on). Replacing the user, on the other hand, is something that's impossible for me to do, so deal with it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You know why it's called a beta? Because it's not ready for public consumption, and is likely still riddled with bugs.
This goes double for Firefox betas.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Or your ISP was just doing some maintenance work and finally finished it.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

franpa wrote:Or your ISP was just doing some maintenance work and finally finished it.
I'm thinking that was the case as I can upload with no problems....for now.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

YOU ALWAYS FREAK OUT WAY TOO FAST

DO DRUGS
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54