newbie problems with configuring usb gamepad

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

markan666

newbie problems with configuring usb gamepad

Post by markan666 »

hey there, so i've got this Image gamepad, worked fine on resident evil pc version a few weeks ago (i don't have it installed anymore)

now i tried to configure it to play super mario :D (game works fine on keyboard) but nothing happens?!

problem is that i am not really that much in computer games so i don't know much about emulators and stuff...

the gamepad is recognized when i go to control panel/game controllers (when plugging in out it appears/disappears) aldough when i go to properties i cant do anything there (should i even be able to??)

if someone knows the answers for my problems feel free to post :)

and last, sorry for spelling and grammatic, english ain't my language :D
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Click Config --> Input #1. Make sure Keyboard/Gamepad is selected, click Set. Follow the prompts.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
markan666

Post by markan666 »

tried,

config/input1/selecting keyped/joystick/clicking set keys/ - he asks me to press buttons for up, down, left, right... but no mather what i press on tha gamepad nothing happens. with keyboard it's still no problem
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

do you have the controller connected before you launch zsnes?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
markan666

Post by markan666 »

of course,

question by the way: should i be able to do anything here?

like i said the controller is being recognized when plugging in and out but on this menu i cant do nothing on any of the 3 tabs, is that supposed to be so?

and do i maybe need some addionional plug-ins add-on's for zsnes or something? like i said, i'm not really that much in the gaming scene just want to play super mario with a gamepad :D[/img]
odditude

Post by odditude »

yes, it should be working there. if it doesn't work there, it won't work anywhere else (including zsnes).
markan666

Post by markan666 »

and is there any way to make it work? like i said i used it a few weeks ago for a pc game and it worked, since than it was unused till i tried to get it work for super mario. It is recognized when plugged in and i can switch the red light via the mode button (the one that on a ps gamepad the analog button is)

also tried the troubleshoot function but that was useless...
odditude

Post by odditude »

try reinstalling the drivers
markan666

Post by markan666 »

drivers reinstalled, still nothing, it appears on control panel/game controllers but tat's about it, cant adjust anything adn TILL CANT PLAY SUPER MARIO!!!!!!!!! :cry:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Sounds broken to me.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

If I remember right some of those PS to PC adapters are slightly funky and cause issue.

Also, I just have to ask. You are using ZSNES for Windows and not the DOS version right? DOS will not recognize USB devices.
markan666

Post by markan666 »

zsns v1.42 jan 19 2005
win32 version

i assume that's what you were talking about?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

You could try using the latest ZSNES version. The one you have is very outdated.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

If the Windows control panel isn't responding to input, the problem is DEFINITELY not in ZSNES.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Paleogirl2003

Post by Paleogirl2003 »

odditude wrote:do you have the controller connected before you launch zsnes?
Haha, wow, thanks, that helped
emmabe90

Re: newbie problems with configuring usb gamepad

Post by emmabe90 »

i know this is old but i'm now having this same problem, my Snes game pad is plugged in, i have one of those where it's a classic controller and you plug it into the USB adapter with 2 game pad slots, i've tried everything... all zsnes wants to recognize is my keyboard, now my PC and laptop both pick up on my controller just fine, i'm using it through a usb hub and running zsnes off my external drive, this isn't causing the issues because i cut and pasted the files onto my laptops deskptop, took out the USB hub with the external drive in it, plugged my game controller directly into the USB port of my laptop, i followed the troubleshooting and it says to plug out any devices that may be using up too much power because some may need more power bla.. bla... usual standard stuff... i rebooted too.

Still i cannot configure the keys... i do the right things and go into Input and Set Keys, nothing happens when i press my controllers buttons, but yet it keeps wanting to pick up on my keyboard, pressing the keyboard keys works fine... i don't know what else to do, but it worked the last time i used it, my system says my controller and the adapter are working properly so it's not that... it doesn't need drivers ether, i've never needed them.