What's the meaning of the suffix in rom names?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ismaelpsp

What's the meaning of the suffix in rom names?

Post by ismaelpsp »

Hi everyone

What's the meaning of the suffix in names?

I know (U) means USA, and (E) means Europe, but what does the other mean [!], [b1], [b2], etc.?

Here is an example:
7th Saga, The (U) [!].smc
7th Saga, The (U) [b1].smc
7th Saga, The (U) [f1].smc
7th Saga, The (U) [T+Fre.1_BessaB].smc
7th Saga, The (U) [T+Por].smc
7th Saga, The (U) [T+Spa020%].smc

There are others that come with [a1], [a2]..., [c1], [c2]...

I want to keep only one of each rom, so I need to know that to decide which ones delete.

cheers
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

um... seriously... google it.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
ismaelpsp

Post by ismaelpsp »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:um... seriously... google it.
Sorry for the stupid question, it seems that I didn't use the right keywords in my first search :oops:

What I just found doesn't say the meaning of [a#], so I suppose "#" is the number of times the rom was dumped.

It seems that the best options are [f], [a] and [!]. In that order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoodTools#Standard_Codes
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

ismaelpsp wrote:What I just found doesn't say the meaning of [a#], so I suppose "#" is the number of times the rom was dumped.
No. It's alternate 1, alternate 2... and so on. Garbage notation that means jack shit since there's no evidence that they're valid to begin with (the fixes could be fan-made, which is equivalent to a translation patch or a trainer hack in terms of not having a clean dump).

Curse you, goodcodes. Curse you.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Aren't the [f] ones fixes to make certain copiers or emulators play the game because of some kind of copy protection or bugs in said copiers or emulators?

I don't know what [a]lternate could possibly mean... if [!] is verified to be good, then wouldn't the [a] ones really be ad (Even if they work). This whole system is silly. ROMs and patches should be separate! The good sets should just contain the good (or closest to good) ROMs and then have a separate set of patches for USEFUL things like translations and ROM hacks and copier specific fixes and other things, rather than having all these nonsense ROMs floating around that a newcomer might not know what they mean. It's unintuitive and a complete waste of space (yeah yeah compression blah blah blah.).

What annoys me even more is people who don't care to clean up their goodsets just so they can say they have "every ROM", as if it's an accomplishment that they waited for a torrent to finish. It's really MORE of an accomplishment to properly sort and organize your ROMs so you can meaningfully browse them in an emulator.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote: The good sets should just contain the good (or closest to good) ROMs and then have a separate set of patches for USEFUL things like translations and ROM hacks and copier specific fixes and other things, rather than having all these nonsense ROMs floating around that a newcomer might not know what they mean. It's unintuitive and a complete waste of space (yeah yeah compression blah blah blah.).
Hell, look at the GoodNES set. Literally half the ROM images in it are known bad([o#] for overdump being the most common by far).

I'm reasonably certain it was originally so GoodNES could tell you your game was bad, as opposed to not in the set, but... in the modern PokeROM mindset it does nothing but propagate tons and tons of bad ROM images.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
paulguy wrote: The good sets should just contain the good (or closest to good) ROMs and then have a separate set of patches for USEFUL things like translations and ROM hacks and copier specific fixes and other things, rather than having all these nonsense ROMs floating around that a newcomer might not know what they mean. It's unintuitive and a complete waste of space (yeah yeah compression blah blah blah.).
Hell, look at the GoodNES set. Literally half the ROM images in it are known bad([o#] for overdump being the most common by far).

I'm reasonably certain it was originally so GoodNES could tell you your game was bad, as opposed to not in the set, but... in the modern PokeROM mindset it does nothing but propagate tons and tons of bad ROM images.
Oh, that is certainly true. I remember chatting with Cowering one time, and he was ranting to me about how people didn't know how to use the Goodtools properly and were spreading crap around.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The system is not idiotproof, thus we have the idiots.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...