I'm paranoid about LGA 1366

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:So... for you?
Attempt and humour failed.

which is nothing new for you considering your long history of stupids and fails.
Surely you mean attempt AT humor, you asstard.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:Arctic silver stuff clearly recommends not doing this, though.

Manuals, read them.
as much as i hate to say it, the as5 manual does indeed recommend that, when using with a chip with an IHS.

the procedure is to put a miniscule drop on the heatsink at point of contact, rub it into a haze, and wipe off any excess. (this step is to help fill-in the surface of poorly-machined heatsink bases). then, place an amount the size of an uncooked grain of rice in the center of the IHS of the chip, install the heatsink, and allow the installation pressure do the rest of the work.

that being said, i can't speak for the application instructions for mx-3 or any of their other compounds.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Yes, truly, getting banned is a sign that you are way too awesome for most Internet forums to handle. They're just too mundane to understand someone of your caliber.

But how should I know, anyway, never having been banned from any Internet message boards? I've even trolled a few before, but never to the point of getting banned. I must not be doing it right.
odditude

Post by odditude »

/methinks if the thread devolves to a discussion of squall's asshattery, the zboard might implode from all the concentrated stoopid.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Agreed! Please don't contaminate my thread any further! Anyway I decided to wait 3 more days and if the MX-3 don't arrive, I'll build the machine. In the mean time I fill the rebates if I can find them.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
odditude

Post by odditude »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Agreed! Please don't contaminate my thread any further! Anyway I decided to wait 3 more days and if the MX-3 don't arrive, I'll build the machine. In the mean time I fill the rebates if I can find them.
you need to test the machine ASAP. you generally can't return defective products if you've already submitted a rebate form.

do an out-of-case build just to make sure it posts, get the latest BIOS in, and do a few memtest cycles. a non-conductive-type static bag laid on top of the mobo box makes for a great quickie testbed.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

odditude wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:Agreed! Please don't contaminate my thread any further! Anyway I decided to wait 3 more days and if the MX-3 don't arrive, I'll build the machine. In the mean time I fill the rebates if I can find them.
you need to test the machine ASAP. you generally can't return defective products if you've already submitted a rebate form.

do an out-of-case build just to make sure it posts, get the latest BIOS in, and do a few memtest cycles. a non-conductive-type static bag laid on top of the mobo box makes for a great quickie testbed.
I'll try to do that.

*Update*

How stupid I was! The case comes with a hole on the back on the motherboard so you can install the humongous V8 fan on the motherboard. Anyway the MX-3 arrived today and I'm beginning installing stuff.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

odditude wrote:
grinvader wrote:Arctic silver stuff clearly recommends not doing this, though.

Manuals, read them.
as much as i hate to say it, the as5 manual does indeed recommend that, when using with a chip with an IHS.

the procedure is to put a miniscule drop on the heatsink at point of contact, rub it into a haze, and wipe off any excess. (this step is to help fill-in the surface of poorly-machined heatsink bases). then, place an amount the size of an uncooked grain of rice in the center of the IHS of the chip, install the heatsink, and allow the installation pressure do the rest of the work.

that being said, i can't speak for the application instructions for mx-3 or any of their other compounds.
i remember the K7 application guide also used to say to apply it to the base like that, so if its not now, then the guide has been revised.

regardless, i still do that with my Volcano11 on my 3000+
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

LOL Thermaltake!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

The newegg combo came with 2 Sapphire Radeon HD 4860 but it also came with just a 600W Power Supply. I don't think it should be wise to Crossfire both cards for some reason.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Gil_Hamilton wrote:LOL Thermaltake!
I wouldn't use anything BUT a volcano on a K7 to keep its temps down.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Yes, but you're an idiot.

Thermaltake's R&D department consists of a small budget to buy everyone else's shit and a large budget to advertise their fucked-up reimplementatoin of everyone else's shit.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

what i've found interesting is that the most efficient heatsink i've seen was an intel prototype that had the fins so close together that air couldn't even passively pass between them throughout the length or width.

the surface area on it was ridiculous, and it more than made up for the lack of airflow.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Squall_Leonhart wrote:

Thermaltake's R&D department consists of a small budget to buy everyone else's shit and a large budget to advertise their fucked-up reimplementatoin of everyone else's shit.
And you constantly choke on cock, but who's complaining.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Squall_Leonhart wrote:

And you constantly choke on cock, but who's complaining.
Wow. That's so witty I don't even know how to reply to it.

I bow before the master of debate.

That was sarcasm, if you can't tell.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I mounted the PC and at first it didn't boot and made a beep followed by a long pause and then a beep. I connected a missing molex of the rear fan and readjusted the graphic card and the 3 memory dims. Now everything works fine. I installed Windows 7 64 bits to see how it runs and it works so far except that the updates take very long compared to XP. I couldn't Crossfire the cards because the crossfire bridge won't fit on the card. Oh and I'm not used to a 23" wide screen monitor... I should bought a smaller one.
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

how can the crossfire bridge that comes with the card not fit on it?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Oh and I'm not used to a 23" wide screen monitor... I should bought a smaller one.
Sit farther back or move the screen farther back.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

beef?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

paulguy wrote:beef?
likely beep.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

funkyass wrote:how can the crossfire bridge that comes with the card not fit on it?
Neither card came with a bridge. I tried to use the one that came with the motherboard.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

you probably did it rong then

the spacing between pcie slots is standardized just for that feature accross mobo, and the tabs are all the same (given you have the same gfx card x2/3)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

grinvader wrote:you probably did it rong then

the spacing between pcie slots is standardized just for that feature accross mobo, and the tabs are all the same (given you have the same gfx card x2/3)
Yes but when I tried to insert one of the bridge connectors it won't fit on the card's connector because it is too small. Each card have 2... Maybe I need to buy a bridge.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

wait... does crossfire work on i7 chipsets?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.