want to spend $1200 on a computer

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

It can also leave bits of rubber in the connector.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I've only seen XP need to increase the page size once - back in late 2000 when a machine was rendering some autocad graphic.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

diminish wrote:- defragment
JkDefrag has a nice "pack everything together" function that is useful for that.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

diminish wrote:
grinvader wrote:Keep it automatic, and on systems where it's not automatic, you don't need more than 2GB.
Fixed-size pagefile is actually a better choice (at least on Windows). When the initial size won't be enough, additional space would need to be allocated on the HDD. Most likely it will result in a fragmented pagefile, not mentioning the performance loss coming from the disk writes itself.
dynamic != automatic. I meant the setting it defaults to, but you do cover it most excellently.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Because none of the memory worked with the mobo and no one I know have DDR3 to see if it is the Mother Board or simply the memory I removed the board from the case and I see a little scratch on it. No I can't return it... I must wait until someone's PC is ready...
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Or take both to a computer repair shop or a computer shop that also does repairs and get them to test them, for a fee.

(should take the whole computer and get them to test every part)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

franpa wrote:Or take both to a computer repair shop or a computer shop that also does repairs and get them to test them, for a fee.

(should take the whole computer and get them to test every part)
No thank you! I don't trust them. I think that my last resort is to buy more memory and test them. If the result is the same then it is the mobo. Either way I will end with 12 GB of DDR3 RAM..
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Neo Kaiser wrote:No thank you! I don't trust them.
i can't blame you for saying that, but there can be highly capable people at those shops. don't disparage them all.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Re: want to spend $1200 on a computer

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

Oh yeah, we built the pc and threw hackintosh on it, badass computer. i7-930 2.8ghz, 2TB, 12GB DDR3 1600, radeon 4870. he does HD video editing, I think this will do the trick. the case had a huge dent in the top and was a bit twisted, the video card was dead after two hours of use. he kept the case, sent the card back and got another.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=14247526
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

dood don't put HDD before RAM, it's just wrong ;p

also it confuzzles me
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

On a similar note, I think this cartoon is quite appropriate:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Web ... b_usb3.swf
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

except the fat nerd is more likely to have the rather new and expensive FASTAAAR SPEED USB324867.0 hardware since he doesn't spend much on his girlfriend (or lack thereof).

P.S.: the girl would still go out with the less ugly one
皆黙って俺について来い!!

lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

Yeah, that's kind of why the cartoon is funny. :P
Seriously though, the read speed of mechanical hard drives would still be considerably lower than the write speed on an external flash drive that uses USB3. I suppose if you were using an SSD instead of an HDD...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

lordmister wrote:Yeah, that's kind of why the cartoon is funny. :P
Seriously though, the read speed of mechanical hard drives would still be considerably lower than the write speed on an external flash drive that uses USB3. I suppose if you were using an SSD instead of an HDD...
Even then we're far from the 4.8Gbps that usb3 is supposed to support. 25GB would go in 42 seconds.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

I can see where you get the 42 seconds figure from, however when doing the calculation myself it's approximately 44.74 seconds for 25GB (if taking 25GB (and the 4.8Gbps figure, converted to a byte size) in non-metric 1024 multiples) and 43.69 seconds if we assume that to be metric, not 42, however, USB3's bandwidth being 4.8Gbps does not mean actual devices that use it will reach that speed. Apparently, according to this, the performance in bytes, would be about 572 MiB/s, which I don't think even the latest SATA SSD's from Intel even reach yet on read OR write speed.
I suppose this is what you were getting at, though.

So, their figures are really quite misleading as far as practical usage goes. Then you have to consider heat consumption, etc. Then there is the gradual performance degradation that occurs with flash memory. Perhaps in theory their figures are right... but even then they get the 70 seconds figure in that cartoon wrong :roll:

That's epic fail right there. I suppose marketing will always produce such BS anyway, so...
If it can fool the masses, I suppose they've done a good job.

The extra bandwidth is only really useful for flash storage, external sound cards / graphics cards and TV capture cards, etc... the kind of devices that need this bandwidth. For most people, though, even then, the performance increase won't matter much. For other devices, e.g. webcams, joypads, inputs devices (keyboard, mouse...), USB headsets, etc, even USB2 is overkill. It's just needless expense really. I'll probably go with USB3 in 4 years time when it's cheap, and actually provides real, practical benefits. Until then, it's just more BS.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

lordmister wrote: The extra bandwidth is only really useful for flash storage, external sound cards / graphics cards and TV capture cards, etc... the kind of devices that need this bandwidth. For most people, though, even then, the performance increase won't matter much. For other devices, e.g. webcams, joypads, inputs devices (keyboard, mouse...), USB headsets, etc, even USB2 is overkill. It's just needless expense really. I'll probably go with USB3 in 4 years time when it's cheap, and actually provides real, practical benefits. Until then, it's just more BS.
The big advantage to USB3 is in the power section. It can supply more current per port(900mA instead of 500mA). And even more if the port in question is spec'ed for charging(up to AN AMP AND A HALF! We're livin' large now!)
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: The big advantage to USB3 is in the power section. It can supply more current per port(900mA instead of 500mA). And even more if the port in question is spec'ed for charging(up to AN AMP AND A HALF! We're livin' large now!)

and dangerously.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

funkyass wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: The big advantage to USB3 is in the power section. It can supply more current per port(900mA instead of 500mA). And even more if the port in question is spec'ed for charging(up to AN AMP AND A HALF! We're livin' large now!)

and dangerously.
I thought dangerous was yanking 3 amps through a USB2 port without even telling the host you were there.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

odditude wrote:NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER.
POWER OVERWHELMING
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I could see USB 3.0 also being useful with a USB 3.0 hub and a lot of devices, not just for the power thing in the case of an unpowered hub but for handling the bandwidth for a lot of devices, since it'll be extremely rare that any one device will use that much.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae