want to spend $1200 on a computer

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

50 isn't hot for a cpu

now, 70...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

80 load is normal for i7, don't worry too much unless it gets up past 95.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Neo Kaiser wrote:I updated the BIOS of the P6T and When I used PC Probe II the CPU at 50c and it gave me an alert of the casing fans stopping. I opened up the case and they where running so when I closed the case I opened HW Monitor Pro and the CPU TIN is at 51c and the cores are all around 43c... Then I opened PC Wizard 2010 and the results are the same as HW Monitor Pro. The temperature outside is 25c and 77f. I'm beginning to feel afraid.
put the system into hibernate, for a minute, then resume.
you should see the cputin temp drop below the cores.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I'd say MY temperatures are okay as my Video Card idles at 79 degrees celcius (ironically 80 being the threshold for a noisy GPU fan) and reachs about 92 under load. It shuts down if it reaches 110 though which it has yet to reach lol.

Do you have your CPU fan plugged into the right socket on the Motherboard? Does the wire prevent or impede the fan from spinning properly? Try what Squall suggested.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I put my PC to sleep and when I logged in and ran HMP now I see the CPU TIN at 35.5c and the cores around 43c. The temperature outside is 23c. I'm relieved for now. Thank You all for the help.

*EDIT* I forgot to say that my GPU Temp is 53c and it's only 1 card. I won't put the other video card until I buy 2 120cm fans for the side panel.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Asus's probes are a little touchy on calibration. its gotten rare for it to happen on my Rampage II Gene, but it does occasionally.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

franpa wrote:Okay, now that I actually ran the program and see it doesn't match what there picture depicts, my CPUTIN is 41 while the cores are 47/49.
52~ when C1E is turned off and in Windows the CPU minimum state is configured to 100%.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

After adjusting the the virtual memory I turned the PC and after 10 seconds on Windows 7 a blue screen reporting hardware failure appeared and it wont boot anymore. Everytime I turn the PC it only checks the DVD and nothing more and no beeps at all. I tried resseting the memory, I checked the power supply with a tester, used another video card, wiped the CMOS, removing the battery and the CPU for 2 hours and nothing. I pray that is not the motherboard or else I'm fucked! Even if it is under wrranty it would be a pain to replace because of their policy....
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Why would you change the Virtual Memory?

Anyways, something blew up!
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

If that's only due to changing virtual memory, reinstall will fix.

Moron.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Neo Kaiser wrote:a blue screen
what error code?
Neo Kaiser wrote:Everytime I turn the PC it only checks the DVD and nothing more and no beeps at all.
disconnect everything so that only mobo, cpu, memory, psu and (if there's no onboard graphics) video card are present. (this includes disconnecting any drives etc. from power). power on, see if it posts. if it doesn't, remove the video card, power on, see if you get beep codes. then try without memory. if you're getting no beep codes with nothing besides psu, mobo, and cpu, it's one of those three. time to play the swapping game.
Neo Kaiser wrote:I checked the power supply with a tester
a psu tester can't guarantee proper operation; it can only guarantee failure (some issues only appear under load, which you standard psu tester doesn't provide). try another power supply.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Guys if just a reinstall will fix it then I would had fixed it long ago but the DVD unit wouln't boot any bootable disc. I tried with Knoppix and Windows 7 discs . I tried to change the virtual memory because I have 1.3 TB of space in my HDD so I wanted to use 12 GB of virtual memory because had 6 GB of DDR3 RAM and I remembered that someone here told me to always have double the size of the RAM a longd ago...

Anyway I did what Odditude told me and when I turned the PC on without the memory installed it began to beep in a uncontrollable way. About the hardware failure error code... I forgot to write it down...
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Neo Kaiser wrote:I wanted to use 16 GB of virtual memory because had 6 GB of DDR3 RAM and I remembered that someone here told me to always have double the size of the RAM a longd ago...
good god no. let windows manage your virtual memory, please.
when I turned the PC on without the memory installed it began to beep in a uncontrollable way. About the hardware failure error code... I forgot to write it down...
if it beeps without memory but fails to POST with it present, you've either got poorly-seated memory OR one or more totally bad DIMMs (or DIMM sockets on the motherboard). first, just try reseating all the memory. if that doesn't work, you should be able to determine what DIMM(s)/socket(s) are bad through simple trial and error (bring up the system with a single DIMM in a different socket each time, figure out where the problem is from which combinations fail).
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I had reseated the memory before posting here. The problem now is that the board need 2 dimms to boot acording to the ASUS P6T manual... I will see if a friend of mine can lend it's DDR3 memory that I think is compatible with the board and see if it works. At least the mobo shows sings of working. Next time I'll try to understand things before assuming stuff... If is the memory and hopefully not their mobo connectors then I have to return all 3 because they came on a single package. Thanks for the help! I'll report soon.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Neo Kaiser wrote:The problem now is that the board need 2 dimms to boot acording to the ASUS P6T manual...
actually, the manual says you can't use a single stick in slots A2, B2, or C2. a single stick in slot A1, B1, or C1 should work just fine (and those are the three slots you need to test anyway).
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

odditude wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:The problem now is that the board need 2 dimms to boot acording to the ASUS P6T manual...
actually, the manual says you can't use a single stick in slots A2, B2, or C2. a single stick in slot A1, B1, or C1 should work just fine (and those are the three slots you need to test anyway).
Oh I failed at reading page 2-2 and 2-11. I thought that those slots of A2, B2 and C2 where the orange ones and not the black ones. Ok I'll test them now.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Theres a giant picture of the motherboard labeling everything, usually found in the manual and its also labeled on the motherboard itself.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Neo Kaiser wrote:
odditude wrote:
Oh I failed at reading page 2-2 and 2-11.
Reading is fundamental.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Yea but I was reading it superfficially and the wrong way... Anyway I'll check the memory later.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

most manuals also lack colour pictures.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Oh yeah, if you ever have 2 drives, put them in SATA 2 and 3. I learned the hard way that if you have them in 0 and 1, weird shit happens. I wish you could just disable the RAID functionality for those ports... maybe you can, but I couldn't find it. :/ I guess they're on a completely separate controller even.

Also, a trick that seems to work to greatly reduce bootup time is to disable the splash screen. I don't know why but the splash screen seems to double the time it takes to POST, even though it's not animated or anything.

Another thing to do is to check the RAM timings in the menu. A lot of RAM is programmed with higher (more late) values by default (though if you're having issues with RAM, maybe you shouldn't. :p).

This is related to the Asus P6T. I have the same board.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Weird things can happen if you don't use the stock voltage and timings for RAM (unless you're actually overclocking).
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Neo Kaiser wrote:I have 1.3 TB of space in my HDD so I wanted to use 16 GB of virtual memory because had 6 GB of DDR3 RAM and I remembered that someone here told me to always have double the size of the RAM a longd ago...
hahaahahahahaha
so what, 16 = 2*6 ?

and by that logic i should have a 24GB pagefile
that logic is obsolete nowadays. Keep it automatic, and on systems where it's not automatic, you don't need more than 2GB.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

diminish

Post by diminish »

grinvader wrote:Keep it automatic, and on systems where it's not automatic, you don't need more than 2GB.
Fixed-size pagefile is actually a better choice (at least on Windows). When the initial size won't be enough, additional space would need to be allocated on the HDD. Most likely it will result in a fragmented pagefile, not mentioning the performance loss coming from the disk writes itself.

I think the sensible way to set it up on Windows would be:
- firstly disable the pagefile completely, reboot
- defragment C: partiton (we want to have it on C: as presumably on 99% of setups it would be the partition on the outer edge of the platter(s) - the fastest one and not involving funny partitioning)
- having enough continuous free space, set up a fixed-size pagefile with equal initial and maximum size

What about the size you ask? That entirely depends on the applications you use and of course your amount of RAM. Windows Task Manager's Commit Charge Peak (Performance tab) will tell you peak of total memory usage (pagefile + RAM) since start, more info here. A script contained in WinXP-2K_Pagefile.zip from here will tell you pagefile's session peak usage, you may use it to determine the needed amount before the whole setup. With 1GB of RAM I find it sufficient for my pagefile to be 1GB. General usage is older PC games and Firefox.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Ok I did what Odditude said and I tested each memry stick on each orange slot. A1,B1 and C1 turning the PC On 9 times and no beeps and no boot. I turned the machine on again without memory and it beepes like crazy again in what I think this was the sequence. beep, beep,beep, short pause and repeat. So I had to test the memory on another mobo or the other way around... Also I heard that using a pencil eraser on the memory connectors can desmagnetisize it or something like that.