FSB

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

FSB

Post by darkbenny »

Playing around with my old rig, which has a Q6600 at stock speed.

The motherboard prevents overclocking in the BIOS, but I'd like to get creative and try out some software to change the FSB speed and get a little more oomph out of things. I realize that gains will be limited, but I don't intend to go higher than 3.0ghz anyway.

Has anybody had experience with programs that can do this? I've heard of CPUCool, but that's about it.
bringing Zsnes back
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

most windows based solutions don;t allow multiplier locking for ram, and voltage adjustment.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I realize that gains will be limited, but I don't intend to go higher than 3.0ghz anyway.
He's obviously not going to need such tweaks if he's just bumping things up a little bit.

Anyway, I don't really know of any, but if the motherboard settings don't support it, it seems a bit unlikely that you'd be able to do it from software, since the motherboard would have to provide those services anyway. I'd say just look around and experiment, honestly.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

It's possible that updating your BIOS to the latest one can enable overclocking.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

Thanks for the responses.

And yes, I'm just going to bump things up a bit, so I likely won't have to mess with voltage.

I don't think a BIOS update will fix things in this case, the rig I'm playing around with has an OEM motherboard and as far as I can tell there is no way to unlock the bios capabilities I would need. It does seem that ram speed can be modified in the BIOS however. MB is an Acer G33T-AM, with the BIOS version being from 7/21/2007.

This is just an experiment anyhow, to see if I can squeeze a little more juice out of my secondary PC.
bringing Zsnes back
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

there is a *slight* chance that your motherboard is a standard model with a custom bios - the greatest likelihood of this being the case is if it's an ECS motherboard. Research any silkscreen branding on the mobo; you may get lucky.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

I just tried Setfsb and it looks like I'm out of luck, even the smallest increase in fsb speed would cause the system to immediately hang. Oh well ;)
bringing Zsnes back
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Probably because the setting is locked out and your setting it to a variable unsupported by your mobo firmware/BIOS so it takes a shit trying to figure out wtf speed the proceesor should be running at with this undefined value..
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64