black screen - windows 7 fullscreen

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

demiblood

black screen - windows 7 fullscreen

Post by demiblood »

Windows 7 / Vista don't have a alt+enter fullscreen mode (as XP and previous versions do)

I'm getting the black screen of death,
turns grey if I click it, then stops responding

I downloaded a 'patch' someone said would fix this issue (zsnes2008.exe) and it executes but nothing happens

how can I fix this without the ability to fullscreen? its been driving me mad
I've been deprived for two whole days of my dragon warrior collection
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Why aren't you using a Windowed mode? You get most of the same benefits while having better compatibility.

We're not responsible for stuff you've downloaded from unknown providers. There has never been (and probably won't ever be) a zsnes2008.exe.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
demiblood

Post by demiblood »

Ok, maybe you're not familiar with the problem I'm having, so I'll re-hash this with you, so that you can be up to date.

The black screen problem, I have looked it up, I read that whenever the "zsnesw.exe" (which you have developed and are a developer of) has an error
LAUNCHING WINDOWED MODE,
it displays a
"black screen that, when you click on it, turns grey and stops responding"

The "solution" that was posted to resolve this issue, is to switch Zsnes INTO 'FULLSCREEN MODE' via pressing "alt+enter" <- Windows shortcut
which would supposedly a quick 'fix' of the problem

however, I'm using windows 7, windows 7 does not allow me to 'switch' to fullscreen mode, prohibiting me from fixing this problem in this manner
- and so -
Whenever I launch zsnesw.exe it launches into windowed mode only ever gives me a black screen, which turns grey when I click on it, and stops responding, and the 'common' fix for this issue doesn't work in windows 7, I have tried opening the config and changing the settings to fullscreen mode, tried changing the resolutions and forcing it into fullscreen mode,

all it does is open in windowed mode @ the resolution I set it to w/ a black screen, and if I focus the window (via clicking on it) it turns into a grey screen and the program stops responding

PS: I'm not insisting you're responsible for other peoples software, and that has nothing to do with the problem I'm currently having
I'm telling you all the things I've tried to do to resolve the issue, without remedy, and hoping that you would understand, or at least have some knowledge of the issue I'm having, and therefore be capable of helping
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

What video card do you have?

If ZSNES somehow manages to create zsnesw.cfg in the same folder ZSNES is in, then try and tweak the video settings in that.

IIRC, Alt+Enter is not specifically a Windows function as it is more an app's function. What ZSNES tries to do is sets 640x480 (16-bit) for fullscreen (it's the default working fullscreen option), but your video drivers may be disallowing it because it doesn't support it (making it a futile effort).

Try disabling Aero and see if that changes the matter.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I wouldn't download and use any "zsnes2008.exe" fixes, but that's just me.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
demiblood

Post by demiblood »

I did a system restore to 5 days ago when the emulator was still working, and it still isn't working...
I turned aero off, still not working :( I'm not very pleased with windows 7

Here's my current system specs

Processor: AMD athlon XP 2500+ (1.8Ghz)
Memory: 1.5gig
Video: Geforce FX 5200 / 524mb

_____
I have a new system coming in (I should have it by friday) I'm going to load Win XP on it, and I probably won't have any more problems.

its an Intel i3 530 (2.8ghz dual core)
4 gig (2 2 gig sticks) ddr2 800
w/ sapphire radeon HD 5770 1gig

when I have a bit more money I'm probably going to double up the sapphire cards (run them crossfireX)
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

demiblood wrote:The "solution" that was posted to resolve this issue, is to switch Zsnes INTO 'FULLSCREEN MODE' via pressing "alt+enter" <- Windows shortcut
which would supposedly a quick 'fix' of the problem

however, I'm using windows 7, windows 7 does not allow me to 'switch' to fullscreen mode, prohibiting me from fixing this problem in this manner
- and so -
That's rather funny, cuz I'm running Windows 7 and Alt+Enter works perfectly well, just as it should. It isn't Windows 7 that is preventing you from using fullscreen it's a PEBKAC issue.
demiblood wrote:I downloaded a 'patch' someone said would fix this issue (zsnes2008.exe) and it executes but it just installed a metric shit ton of viruses and raped my mother
Fixed.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

dfreer wrote:That's rather funny, cuz I'm running Windows 7 and Alt+Enter works perfectly well, just as it should. It isn't Windows 7 that is preventing you from using fullscreen it's a PEBKAC issue.
seconded.
dfreer wrote:it just installed a metric shit ton of viruses and raped my mother
qft.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i liked where he tried to "educate" one of the devs.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Though windows 7 has its 8bit(256c) ddraw issues, zsnes hasn't been a problem.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Windows 7 X64 here running ZSNES 1.51 No problems in windowed, mode or switching to fullscreen. Using the same installation on a portable hard drive switching between 32bit versions of vista and xp as well.
Pakari

Re: black screen - windows 7 fullscreen

Post by Pakari »

I realize it's been a while but just in case someone else found this thread through Google like me when I was struggling with this problem, I found a solution.

Running it in compatibility mode for Windows 98 (right click>properties>compatibility) finally got it working for me. Don't know if it'll help anyone else but it's something.
SupahNintendo

Post by SupahNintendo »

Thanks Pakari, that did the trick for me too (also found this through Google).

In Windows 10 (ung), right click the file and then go to 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'. My issue was zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) went black and was unresponsive when I tried to put it in full screen mode. Problem solved :)
chiliNUT

Post by chiliNUT »

I use an NVIDIA 1050TI and it has *all sorts of errors* across various programs when I use the HDMI output, including giving a black screen when I go full screen in ZSNES. It either goes black as soon as I do full screen, or if the application loads in full screen, it looks fine for about 10 seconds before going black.

To fix, I just have to use the DP or DVI output on the graphics card and it works fine.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

chiliNUT wrote:I use an NVIDIA 1050TI and it has *all sorts of errors* across various programs when I use the HDMI output, including giving a black screen when I go full screen in ZSNES. It either goes black as soon as I do full screen, or if the application loads in full screen, it looks fine for about 10 seconds before going black.
that sounds like an issue with your video card or your display.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
chiliNUT

Post by chiliNUT »

The display is old (10 year old 768p Dynex tv) and the hdmi cable is long and old (25 feet, same age) so I figure its either on the cable, or the hdmi port on the tv or the guts of the tv, or potentially the hdmi port on the card (seems least likely). Who knows?