ZSNES freezes when I click set keys

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

COOLGUY

ZSNES freezes when I click set keys

Post by COOLGUY »

I ran into one other thread about this but didn't see a working solution.

Basically, I start up ZSNES, get to the configure inputs menu, press set keys, and freeze. It doesn't matter if I select "none" or "keyboard/gamepad," or if I press "set" first, it asks me which button I want to use for Up and freezes there. I have to alt+F4 to quit.

I'm on Windows XP with 512mb RAM. Not sure what the video card is; this is an old computer. I'm running Skype, PowerISO, Steam and Avast antivirus on startup. I've also been running soulseek when I try this, but it hasn't worked without soulseek running anyway.

So far I've just tried rebooting my computer, which hasn't helped any.

Any ideas?
COOLGUY

Post by COOLGUY »

Also, when I click on a box to assign a button, it automatically gets assigned to what I assume is left-click. I'm running the most recent version (v1.51.)
COOLGUY

Post by COOLGUY »

I'll also note that my input device (sixaxis controller) is working perfectly with Project64 right now, so it's definitely a ZSNES issue.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Do things work when you don't have a gamepad plugged in?
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
COOLGUY

Post by COOLGUY »

Why was this moved to controller help? This isn't a problem with my controller, it's a problem with ZSNES. The emulator itself freezes when I do this.

And no, it does not work when I don't have a gamepad plugged in. Can I get this moved back to bug reports?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

COOLGUY wrote:Why was this moved to controller help? This isn't a problem with my controller, it's a problem with ZSNES. The emulator itself freezes when I do this.

And no, it does not work when I don't have a gamepad plugged in. Can I get this moved back to bug reports?
Actually, it IS a problem with your controller.
If I recall, the PS3 controllers report a whole fucking shit-ton of analog axes instead of proper buttons.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

yeah try not having the controller plugged in. what's the operating system? if windows, press F8 a bunch of times before windows starts and run zsnes in safe mode, it might be other gay software causing problems. try these two things please and report back to us before a fortnight.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
COOLGUY

Post by COOLGUY »

I did say that I tried this without my controller plugged in. In the post you quoted, actually. It is not my controller. I'll try safe mode now.

Edit: OK, now we're getting somewhere - but now I actually do have a controller issue. I uninstalled PPjoy, which I didn't need anyway, and I can now map inputs to my keyboard. This works whether I have the controller plugged in or not. Problem is, ZSNES doesn't recognize the controller. It still works in Project64 and ePSXe, so I know the controller itself isn't the problem. Any ideas?

Edit: I literally just closed and reopened ZSNES and it started working. Fucking computers. Thanks for your time.
Audiomaze

Re: ZSNES freezes when I click set keys

Post by Audiomaze »

Are you running a small program called network lights ? I've been trying to figure out what was causing the same problem as you..And it turns out shutting down this program fixed it. If you aren't using this program then I'd check out any other programs that may be using you're keyboard or mouse. If you can't find anything that's causing the problem try unplugging you're keyboard then use the controller to put in the keys then when you are done plug the keyboard back in.

This may help you or it may not. just a couple options.I know I was freaking out when I couldn't play NHL 94 lol
Fakura

Post by Fakura »

I'm having sort of a similar problem:
Yesterday I configured Zsnes to work with my ps4 and my two ps3 controllers.
Everything worked perfectly.

So today I boot up my PC, download a Sega emulator to try that out and I had no problems configuring my controller to that emulator too.

Now I want to go back to play on the Zsnes emulator and suddenly I find that the emulator doesn't react to me pressing the buttons, so I take a look at the controller config and try to remap the buttons, but now as soon as I press set keys the entire thing freezes. Pressing Esc on the keyboard doesn't skip mapping keys and it doesn't react to anything so I have to alt+F4 it like the other guy said.

Anyone know what the problem is? Shall I attempt a clean install? Or did anyone else have this problem and found a solution?

It's strange because yesterday it worked perfectly and all of a sudden today it freezes when I want to configure the keys.

EDIT:
I now rebooted the PC without any of the controllers connected and now I can map my keyboard as a controller, so I thought it was fixed. However, as soon as I connected the PS4 controller it froze. Still strange that it used to work 2 days ago. So that means for some reason now Zsnes rejects the controllers or something? Because the controller still works with the Sega emulator.

EDIT 2: found a solution. I deleted all the files except for zsnes.exe then I reopened zsnes and it works again (for now).
marineking

Post by marineking »

I have this same problem with XBOX 360 USB controller running on windows 7.

It always starts working good, then some random day I start zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) and it's not recognizing the controller anymore and it freezes in the set keys button.

Resetting .cfg files have no effect. By coincidence I was going to format my pc the next day due to unrelated stuff. After I did it, zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) worked good for a while, until the issue came back again.

All other games and emulators in my system work just fine with the controller and keyboard, so I doubt it's a hardware or driver issue.

edit: as Ichinisan suggested in another topic, I went to windows control panel to check if all the axis were centered. In fact in one of the controllers it wasn't. So I adjusted it and started zsnes again and it worked. That's the solution. The next day didn't work again, but I just had to go back to control panel and adjust the axis once more. Other programs seems to ignore the axis not being perfectly centered, but for zsnes you have to adjust it yourself.