I hate Linux

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

funkyass
"God"

Re: I hate Linux

Post by funkyass »

firefox also puts the preferences in another spot under linux too.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

About firefox drop down menus on the main screen...

It also has "preferences" in the edit section, rather than tools, on the X11/GTK port. This is standard on Linux-based GTK apps.
(on Windows, firefox has "preferences" in the tools section instead)

EDIT: Ah, someone mentioned it just before I did >_<
sweener2001
Inmate

Re:

Post by sweener2001 »

grinvader wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:i also want to only have to click once in the address bar of my browser and be able to highlight the entire address. right now, i have to triple-click on the address itself (clicking in the bar, not on the address does nothing).
'f6'

Hurrr

(Alternatively, for browsers that suck ass, ctrl+L.)
i don't know many keyboard shortcuts, always good to learn more.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Re: Re:

Post by lordmissus »

grinvader wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:i also want to only have to click once in the address bar of my browser and be able to highlight the entire address. right now, i have to triple-click on the address itself (clicking in the bar, not on the address does nothing).
'f6'

Hurrr

(Alternatively, for browsers that suck ass, ctrl+L.)
You really think opera sucks?
I guess Internet Explorer doesn't suck, then. :P
jdratlif
Regular

Re:

Post by jdratlif »

funkyass wrote:OSX userland is freeBSD based. Thats it.
AamirM wrote:Thats because its kernel isn't based on BSD. Its based on Mach. Only part of freebsd core run on top of this Mach microkernel.
Yes, that's what I was talking about, but I didn't want to delve into RMS-land and have an argument about what constitutes an operating system. Replace FreeBSD with UNIX and the analogy works a little better.
DancemasterGlenn wrote:I thought I'd chime in and say that screenshot of ossxmix was cringe-worthy. Did it really take up the whole screen?
I think so too, and yes, it takes up the whole screen (and still requires scrolling). This was on a 1440x900 display (photobucket resized it to 800x600).

Here's a different one. This is gentoo in VirtualBox with an emulated Intel AC''97. It's a little nicer, but still requires scrolling. Is this really the best they can do?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/j ... sxmix2.jpg
kode54 wrote:I've personally experienced that Firefox likes to keep different keyboard shortcuts in Windows than Linux. For instance, the download window is activated by a simple ctrl+j in Windows, but requires a complete ctrl+shift+y in Linux. No idea why.
funkyass wrote:firefox also puts the preferences in another spot under linux too.
Yes, this is a little annoying for people who use firefox on multiple systems. I would like a preference I could set to use the menus/shortcuts for a different system (Windows settings on Linux for example). Then again, the shortcuts might be confusing. I'm writing this on gentoo Linux inside VirtualBox running on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Every time I copy paste in here, it's wrong cause I hit apple+C/V instead of Ctrl+C/V.
lordmister wrote:I guess Internet Explorer doesn't suck, then. :P
I would agree with that. Internet Explorer 8 seems pretty nice. When I reinstalled Windows for my parents, I didn't bother installing Firefox or even changing Bing to Google. I wouldn't choose that combo for myself, but it was too much work for too little reward. I would've replaced IE6 with Firefox, but not IE8.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

I was actually being sarcastic... IE sucks. IE8 doesn't really offer much new to the table compared to IE6 and IE7, nor does it pass Acid 3 on anything more than 20/100. IE9 will apparently be more standards compliant, and looks interesting due to the fact that it will use hardware acceleration to render webpage. Still, that in itself does not make it a good browser, and I hear firefox has been getting similar support for hw acceleration aswell. Mind you, firefox passes it on 92/100 right now, or at least at this time of writing. Which is why I use Opera, which passes 100/100.

Still, it's IE. Using it is like trying to befriend a moth. This moth is in your room at night before you want to get to bed, and refuses to fuck off and/or die. You can't bare the thought of going to bed while it is still alive, flying around the room making so much noise. But you can't catch it, either. Make it jump and it flies in your face. Nice.
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

lordmister wrote:I was actually being sarcastic... IE sucks. IE8 doesn't really offer much new to the table compared to IE6 and IE7, nor does it pass Acid 3 on anything more than 20/100. IE9 will apparently be more standards compliant, and looks interesting due to the fact that it will use hardware acceleration to render webpage. Still, that in itself does not make it a good browser, and I hear firefox has been getting similar support for hw acceleration aswell. Mind you, firefox passes it on 92/100 right now, or at least at this time of writing. Which is why I use Opera, which passes 100/100.
Yeah, I got the sarcasm. IE8 is much more standards compliant than IE6 was. Acid2 on IE6 fails. Acid2 on IE8 is perfect. That's progress. I'm not saying they're great. There's just not terrible.

I use Firefox. It has Xmarks and NoScript; two things I cannot live without. I also like the interface. I wonder how many of the websites I visit are horribly rendered due to those missing 8 points. I'm guessing the number is somewhere around 0. I'm guessing a similar number for IE8.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

lordmister wrote:making so much noise
like owls, moths wings don't make noise when they flap, buster.

you confuse with mosquitos
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

No, but they have this habit of flying into and bouncing off of walls. It's not a lot of noise, but it's an annoying noise.
I just hate moths. I hate it when they fly into my face, or go anywhere near me for that matter.
I'm guessing a similar number for IE8.
What, with 20/100 on Acid 3? IE 8 passes acid 1 and 2, so a lot of sites render properly, but what about sites that begin to use new standards? E.g. CSS 3.
EDIT: Actually, I just loaded up IE8. It passes Acid 1 only. It doesn't render that face properly on Acid 2.
So it fails Acid 2 and Acid 3.

Firefox passes 1 and 2. It passes 3 at 92/100, which is almost perfect.
Opera passes all of them 100%. I hear that Apple Safari does the same, too.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

lordmister wrote:I hate it when they fly into my face, or go anywhere near me for that matter.
I feel the same way about most flying bugs, and I usually run away screaming like a girl instead of staying and defending my honor as a human being. I don't hate moths per se, but I don't like it when they try to make me their bitch by fucking around in my room at 4am.

P.S. Thread hijack lolol
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Agozer wrote:I feel the same way about most flying bugs, and I usually run away screaming like a girl instead of staying and defending my honor as a human being.
P.S. Thread hijack lolol
My brother is like that with every flying insect except hornets, which he has no problem with for some insane reason.
moar hijacks
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

lordmister wrote:
I'm guessing a similar number for IE8.
What, with 20/100 on Acid 3? IE 8 passes acid 1 and 2, so a lot of sites render properly, but what about sites that begin to use new standards?
How many sites do you think are about to abandon IE users? It's still more than 50% of the browser marker.
lordmister wrote:EDIT: Actually, I just loaded up IE8. It passes Acid 1 only. It doesn't render that face properly on Acid 2.
I did this before I posted my first response. Looks fine to me. What part does it fail? I couldn't find a numeric score like for Acid3, but the face looked good to me.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Agozer wrote:
lordmister wrote:I hate it when they fly into my face, or go anywhere near me for that matter.
I feel the same way about most flying bugs, and I usually run away screaming like a girl instead of staying and defending my honor as a human being. I don't hate moths per se, but I don't like it when they try to make me their bitch by fucking around in my room at 4am.

P.S. Thread hijack lolol
pussy

just shelter a few spiders in your house like any self-respecting lazy bum who can't deal with dem flying insects
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

For acid 2, before you click the link to the actual test, there is a reference picture. When performing the test, it should render a face that is exactly like the reference.
http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html#top (test)
http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/reference.html (reference)

On IE8, it comes up with the face almost correct, but has that orange "scar" across the eyes.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

lordmister wrote:On IE8, it comes up with the face almost correct, but has that orange "scar" across the eyes.
Not here:

lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

I found out though, I had page content on zoom. I put the zoom back to 100% and it is fine:

Silly me.

Weird. So it actually passes acid 2, but fucks up when zooming. Ohwell, it's still a buggy browser then.
It's still slower than other browsers, has a total lack of customization options, and is the number #1 target for malware.

It also still only passes 20/100 on Acid 3. Opera gets 100/100.
It also only runs on Windows and other Microsoft-based platforms, whereas FF and Opera are both cross-platform.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

It's not a buggy browser with regard to Acid2.
Note: When taking the test, you should use the default settings of the browser you are testing. Changing the zoom level, minimum font size, applying a fit-to-width algorithm, or making other changes may alter the rendition of the Acid2 page without this constituting a failure in compliance.
Taken from http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

I plead ignorance, then.
I stand corrected.

Still... IE... :roll:
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

lordmister wrote:I plead ignorance, then.
I stand corrected.

Still... IE... :roll:
...has made great improvements in the last version. if the javascript engine wasn't so horribly slow, it would be perfectly competitive.
yes, there are better browsers, but IE stopped deserving that level of vitriol once ie8 was released.

stop being an ms basher and try things for yourself before looking like an idiot spewing bullshit.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

Ah, sorry if I offended you. I guess using IE in the past gave me a bad impression. I actually do use IE8 at college anyway, and it's not really all that bad.
IE9's use of video acceleration to render webpages does seem interesting.

I'm also not an ms basher at all. I just don't use IE.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

lordmister wrote:Ah, sorry if I offended you.
the only thing you're offending is your own credit

i think it's considering buttraping you next time you shower

aka the soap trick

I'm also not an ms basher at all.
Still... IE...
i don't think it means what you think it means
皆黙って俺について来い!!

lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

<Company> Basher:
Someone who doesn't use <Company> products at all, or has little experience with them, yet says nothing but bad things about them, based on ignorance and/or half truths, or old truths, and actively tries to advocate others also staying away, even though the product itself or other people using it have little bearing on said person.

Even if IE is better today, which it obviously is if it passes acid 1 and 2, and gets at least 20/100 on acid 3, I just use other browsers because I'm use to them.
I've been using Firefox and Opera for the past 3 years. I've rarely ever used IE during that time. Last time I used it frequently was when it was IE6 and IE7, when I was doing hobbyist web design (which I haven't done fro a while now) and needed it to test on. I frequently noticed myself using hacks to get IE to work with my stylesheets that actually used the good stuff that every other major player in the browser market was compatible with, including FireFox.

It [IE] was shit then, so I assumed since 8-7 is only a measly 1, that IE8 was not much better, having not used IE for a while.
So, can we drop this? Please?
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

lordmister wrote:<Company> Basher:
Someone that derides <Company> products, by action or statement.
ftfy
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
jdratlif
Regular

Re:

Post by jdratlif »

jdratlif wrote:Xfce is very nice, and I don't think we'll be seeing "lubuntu" anytime soon.
Looks like I was wrong. http://distrowatch.com/6025

Wonder if it'll fit on a CD-RW. Xubuntu used to, but it doesn't anymore. That was something I liked a lot.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i don't like opera just because i think it's ugly as sin.

safari on windows is full of fail. and chrome is only lacking a couple plug-ins (also, some scripts behave weirdly), and then i switch from firefox.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]