Red Dead Redemption

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Red Dead Redemption

Post by lordmissus »

Set in the wild west in a Mexican rural town on the borders of the Southern States during the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, in the coming of new Governmental regulation and technology, this game is based on the same engine used in GTA 4, and looks awesome. I'm soo getting this. It comes out in May 2010 on XBOX 360 and Playstation 3.

See the following trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMxSUGZ6TU
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Re: Red Dead Redemption

Post by Johan_H »

Yay, old west stuff. Looks pretty neat. I'll probably check it out in ten years when I have a PS3 :P
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

It's going to be on the 360 too. Unless you'll wait ten years for that, like the PS3. :lol:
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

I'll likely skip the 360. I might never get a PS3 either actually. Not enough things that interest me and enough things on older platforms and PC to entertain me for a lifetime.
Speaking of which; is the prequel worth playing? Gameplay videos I've seen make it look kind of 'generic third person shooter' with cooler than average setting.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Johan_H wrote:Yay, old west stuff. Looks pretty neat. I'll probably check it out in ten years when I have a PS3 :P
Yeah, same here.

And the same quote for the 360 too.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

I'll probably be getting it on 360. I have a PS3 aswell, but normally the 360 versions of multi-plat games are better. They also tend to get more support in terms of extra content.

Knowing how neglected GTA 4 was on PS3 compared to the 360 version, this is probably a smart move.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

lordmister wrote:I'll probably be getting it on 360. I have a PS3 aswell, but normally the 360 versions of multi-plat games are better. They also tend to get more support in terms of extra content.

Knowing how neglected GTA 4 was on PS3 compared to the 360 version, this is probably a smart move.
exclusivity agreements have gone both ways.

your example was a timed one, btw - that happened to expire this week.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I WANT THIS GAME.

Hopefully my laptop will run it, if not, I will wait until I get a console, X360 or PS3, I don't really mind.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

I don't think Rockstar announced a PC version of the game. Hopefully they do though.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

They normally do so a few months after releasing it to the console. GTA 4 was only on 360/PS3 first, but later came out on PC...
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Oh wow.

This game is being marketed so totally wrong. From the name and color scheme, I thought it was another lame slasher game.

It needs a more descriptive cover like Back to the Future 3.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

whicker wrote:Oh wow.

This game is being marketed so totally wrong. From the name and color scheme, I thought it was another lame slasher game.

It needs a more descriptive cover like Back to the Future 3.
unforgiven
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

I don't really care what it's called. All I know is Wild West + Sandbox adventure game + GTA 4 engine + Industrial revolution + Mexico + civil war + rockstar = win.
neoblaze
8-bit Moderator

Post by neoblaze »

snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Donkey Lady!
magitek369
Hazed

Post by magitek369 »

Johan_H wrote:I'll likely skip the 360. I might never get a PS3 either actually. Not enough things that interest me and enough things on older platforms and PC to entertain me for a lifetime.
Likewise, I tend to lag behind a generation when it comes to gaming. I might miss out on some of the initial excitement but I save a fortune.
Speaking of which; is the prequel worth playing? Gameplay videos I've seen make it look kind of 'generic third person shooter' with cooler than average setting.
I've actually got it lying around here but haven't even cracked the seal yet. This topic seems like a good enough excuse to pick it up though.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

magitek369 wrote:Likewise, I tend to lag behind a generation when it comes to gaming. I might miss out on some of the initial excitement but I save a fortune.
YMMV: I don't know about other european countries, but france has one of the most horrible retro retention availability.

Every big shopping place removes the older generation shelves mere weeks after the new one gets out (a big first against that is the ps2 - it still has a whole 2 meters wide shelf just for its games in most shops - but you can't find any deck for sale anymore) so you gotta go to some obscure tiny retro shops dabbling in second hand crap.

so... if you miss something, you're pretty much fucked. I bought ookami at the utmost limit - an obscure shop happened to still have 3 of them, else I couldn't find it anywhere.

This may be changing right this generation, though, with the wild spread of BC, but growing up in a country where you 1- used to get <50% of the good games, 2- can't find them anywhere if you wait too much and 3- without any chance to find one randomly in some cheap bin deal ever (that shit never happens here - anyone with old games knows how much they're worth) made me pretty jumpy for that stuff.
Want it, see it, grab it. Better to buy games even if you don't have time to play them than wait to get some free time and weep at not finding the game anymore.

For instance I had 4 PS3 games before I even started looking around for a deck (the right way to get a Sony console - wait for the third revision at least).

PS: i fuckinghate platinum/best of reeditions
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Finding things for one generation back in shops is no problem here if you don't mind second hand. And even if you can't find them in shops there's always ebay and the likes. Stuff that is both good and rare can be expensive, but it rarely goes for more than the initial price anyway.
magitek369
Hazed

Post by magitek369 »

I've actually managed to build up an impressive collection for the GameCube and Xbox without having to buy pre-owned. Most FYE stores around here still carry new copies of last generation games marked down to 75% off. Most of the rare stuff as already been picked clean, but you can still find some worthwhile choices. eBay fills in the rest.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

grinvader wrote: PS: i fuckinghate platinum/best of reeditions
I tolerate them when they come with extra stuff for free. like fable, fallout 3, oblivion, etc.

i've paid a lot of money for ME2 already.

but not as bad as paying $110 for fallout 3.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

grinvader wrote:PS: i fuckinghate platinum/best of reeditions
At least the new covers for Platinum Hits are much better now.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Truth Unknown wrote:
they still fuck it up way too much for my tastes
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:
Truth Unknown wrote:
they still fuck it up way too much for my tastes
@#$%#$%^ red cases
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

i love you in many nonhomoerotic ways, doodditude
皆黙って俺について来い!!