Wireless Cards - WTF?

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Wireless Cards - WTF?

Post by Deathlike2 »

I recently got a used laptop to play around with. It is a Dell Latitude D600. I don't anticipate doing much with it, other than occasionally bringing it along if there's a Wireless connection available to be had.

However, the problem I have is that I have trouble deciding what to do to get it Wireless connectivity.

Should I try acquire one of those mini-PCI cards to get 801.11g connectivity, or go buy a USB Wireless n stick (801.11n)?

I have way too many concerns over getting the connectivity.

If the laptop came with a wireless g card already installed, I probably wouldn't ask the question in the first place.
I just need to get it wireless connectivity (having cables connected to the laptop is not ideal).

I want the Wireless n USB card for semi-future longevity (I want this purchase to last, for other machines) but I have concerns over the freaking thing overheating (I have a friend that has that happen to him).

Does brand matter? I'm not entirely familiar with the wireless landscape. If it works in Linux, that would be a nice bonus.

All I understand is that if I get the wireless g mini-PCI card for this system, I shouldn't have to worry about heat... but it's not my first choice (I will still consider it).

Also, where I live, it is a wireless hotspot (but the backbone connection is a DSL connection that only gets to 6-7Mbps), but I also have a Wireless router that came with my DSL connection (I get a pathetic 1Mbps) that would be inherently more secure (WPA2 and 801.11g connectivity).

So.... what do you guys think? I know that the Wireless n card is probably too much and I can't really benefit from that bandwidth... but it's to last a bit longer for me I guess.

Also, is dualband worth getting for Wireless n?
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Wireless Cards - WTF?

Post by odditude »

does the laptop have the antennae built-in? if not, getting a minipci wifi card will get you nowhere and fast. easiest way to tell is to pop open the minipci slot cover, and look for a pair of cables that look like they'd snap on to a pair of ~1.5mm lugs.

dualband is worth it if either you're in an area with a lot of interference on the 2.4ghz range or if there are a lot of obstructions between the router/ap and yourself (5ghz has better penetration, but lower range). of course, unless the router/ap supports 5ghz, it won't matter at all.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

odditude wrote:does the laptop have the antennae built-in? if not, getting a minipci wifi card will get you nowhere and fast. easiest way to tell is to pop open the minipci slot cover, and look for a pair of cables that look like they'd snap on to a pair of ~1.5mm lugs.
Yes, that's not the issue really. It's a matter if I really wanted to get it over a Wireless N solution...
dualband is worth it if either you're in an area with a lot of interference on the 2.4ghz range or if there are a lot of obstructions between the router/ap and yourself (5ghz has better penetration, but lower range). of course, unless the router/ap supports 5ghz, it won't matter at all.
I'm familiar with the properties of that.. I'm just wondering if it's worth essentially $10 extra to get.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude

Post by odditude »

Deathlike2 wrote:I'm familiar with the properties of that.. I'm just wondering if it's worth essentially $10 extra to get.
for $10, sure. less likely to have interference issues in the future.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Overheating isn't an issue with my wireless dongle. It's a Netgear.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I should have asked this earlier... Broadcom or Intel for wireless connectivity?
odditude

Post by odditude »

Deathlike2 wrote:I should have asked this earlier... Broadcom or Intel for wireless connectivity?
i've never had a single issue with an intel nic, wireless or otherwise.

i don't have any complaints about broadcom, but i do have damn near absolute faith in intel nics.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ok, sounds good.

The only issue I had with an Intel NIC, was trying to connect it to a 10/100Mbps switch I had.. and it didn't want to negotiate a 100Mbps connection.

I have heard good things about Intel NICs in general.. and Broadcom (for wireless) to an extent.

I think I have a Broadcom modem somewhere.... if I will ever bother/want to find it.