Support for 7z files

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

iyaePh7r

Support for 7z files

Post by iyaePh7r »

(Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find that topic)

I'm very happy that zsnes handles zipped roms, but 7-zip compresses them much better. Do developers plan to support that format too?
Clements
Randomness

Re: Support for 7z files

Post by Clements »

Well, ZSNES actually has a format implemented already that surpasses even 7zip specifically designed around the SNES ROM format, called JMA. If you need the extra space or want to archive your collection, JMA is a good format to use. You can load the game in ZSNES straight from the JMA file too.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I believe latest versions of BSNES and Snes9x also support JMA.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I imagine he just has a bunch of goodmerge sets and he's too lazy to clear out the crap... most of that garbage should just be obliterated from existence (and stuff like translations and hacks or copier fixes should just be separate patches.).
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
iyaePh7r

Post by iyaePh7r »

Thanks Clements, I didn't know about JMA, I'll give it a try. I don't know what "goodmerge sets" are supposed to be, but the last poster can keep his unjustified pretentious attitude and comments about my supposed laziness to himself -- or shove them where appropriate.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

iyaePh7r wrote:Thanks Clements, I didn't know about JMA, I'll give it a try. I don't know what "goodmerge sets" are supposed to be, but the last poster can keep his unjustified pretentious attitude and comments about my supposed laziness to himself -- or shove them where appropriate.
WELCOME TO THE ZSNES BOARD

but in all seriousness, what a goodmerge set is, is all the GoodTools verified ROMs for a specific console or handheld put together, all in one package (which last I checked is around 1.6GB or so). and I do agree with Paulguy, all those additional "ROMs" should be all seperate patches. Most of those sets are every single rediculous hack of super mario world, zelda, and such. not to mention all the overdumps and game-breaking hacks (the Super FX hack for metal combat for starters)

Hey, I just haxx'd Super Metroid to where I can go through all the walls and have all the weapons, should that be put into the goodset too?!?!?!11111 :roll: I also got this awesome dump of super mario kart, except it's a differet kind of overdump that what was posted, should that be merged too?!!!1111 :roll:

On another note, you can use NSRT to convert your SNES ROMs to the JMA format.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

as added bonus you can configure explorer/windows to open .JMA extension with emulator that support it, which less likely to do, with .7z ext.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

There are some frontends that will extract 7z for you and load it in to the emulator, even with goodmerge sets. I think it's called quickplay or something.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae