USB Hub + USB Flash drive problems

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Lord Alpha
Lurker

USB Hub + USB Flash drive problems

Post by Lord Alpha »

Hello everyone,

I have a 7-port USB hub, into which is plugged a 16GB flash drive. On this flash drive are some video files. If I attempt to play these videos directly from the flash drive, Windows somehow "disconnects" the drive and it no longer shows up in My Computer. If I remove the drive and plug it into a different port on the hub, Windows will eventually recognize the drive again but will be disconnected again if I attempt to play the videos directly as before. Repeat ad nauseum

I have no problems copying these same files to my local hard drive while the flash drive is connected to the hub and playing them from there.

Also, If I plug the drive into a USB port that isn't part of the hub (eg. one of the PC's two front USB Ports) I can play the videos directly from the drive with no problems.

What I'm trying to find out is why the USB hub seems to be so problematic.

Any info appreciated
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: USB Hub + USB Flash drive problems

Post by Deathlike2 »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... oEBU_QAuKL

It's documented... but it seems to suggest registry problems. Although the google search seems to turn up as an XP problem, I doubt it's entirely specific to XP. Googling to a specific Windows version may be more helpful.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I have a similar problem with one specific USB port (so far anyway) when I plug in a USB flash drive. I can browse, but as soon as I start a longer copy operation, said operation eventually grinds to a halt as my Windows XP does not detect the drive anymore for some reason.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

is the hub plugged in?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

usb hubs suck, they are unreliable like wifi connections. use a powered hub if you must, or get a new powered hub.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yeah. With a high-port count like that one, a powered hub is pretty much a requirement.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

funkyass wrote:is the hub plugged in?
Yes. Both the USB wire and the power cord are securely plugged in.

@powered hub comments:

Assuming a powered hub is one that plugs into a wall socket, then the one I have is a powered hub
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Never had any issues like that with a flash drive, but I have one of those Mayflash USB classic controller adapters and it'll only work on 2 of my USB ports, which I assume are on the same controller as the rest, or at least the same KIND of controller. It doesn't even work on the USB 3.0 ports on a completely separate NEC controller.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Chronos53

Post by Chronos53 »

I too would suspect that power is the issue here. Are you sure the hub is properly plugged into the socket? Maybe you should replace the power cord/plug and see where that leads you. Its not really hard to do if you have a bit of tech know how (and a spare cord of course).

The thing is that video files really drain a lot of resources, especially if they're large and you're using a high end video player. Maybe you can get it to play by using a less draining, standalone player like VLC?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Chronos53 wrote:The thing is that video files really drain a lot of resources, especially if they're large and you're using a high end video player. Maybe you can get it to play by using a less draining, standalone player like VLC?
Except VLC is awful, and the video files play just fine if they aren't on the flash drive.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads