Are there custom Apple K/B key layouts for Windows?

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Are there custom Apple K/B key layouts for Windows?

Post by franpa »

I was wondering if there was a way (under Windows 7 x64) to easily have F13, F14 and F15 act as Print Screen/SysRq, Scroll Lock, Pause/Break and to have the entire Numpad to feature Numlock and all the secondary functions when Numlock is off.

This is the keyboard my dad has. The above things are the only things stopping me from getting one.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Are there custom Apple K/B key layouts for Windows?

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote:I was wondering if there was a way (under Windows 7 x64) to easily have F13, F14 and F15 act as Print Screen/SysRq, Scroll Lock, Pause/Break and to have the entire Numpad to feature Numlock and all the secondary functions when Numlock is off.
Yes.
By not being an Apple whore.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Well what keyboards are there that are exactly the same but with the additional functions for Windows? I assume the Apple keyboard also has no keylock problem too where pressing too many keys at once jams the keyboard.

At the moment I'm using an old US 101 key black DELL keyboard. I don't want any ergonomic crap or a extra big border on the bottom of the keyboard to rest my wrist on etc. and would rather silver with white keys (proffered) or black.

I'm not an Apple whore, I don't have any apple products except Quicktime for the very few file formats that my other media players don't support. I just find there keyboard well designed but lacking what I consider essential PC keyboard functions.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

franpa wrote:Well what keyboards are there that are exactly the same but with the additional functions for Windows? I assume the Apple keyboard also has no keylock problem too where pressing too many keys at once jams the keyboard.
after all these years, you should know not to assume jack shit.
franpa wrote:I was wondering if there was a way (under Windows 7 x64) to easily have F13, F14 and F15 act as Print Screen/SysRq, Scroll Lock, Pause/Break and to have the entire Numpad to feature Numlock and all the secondary functions when Numlock is off.
have you bothered connecting the keyboard to your computer and making sure that's not already the case?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I was looking at some overpriced keyboard on some store, and it claimed to only have zero keylock problems with PS/2 interface, while with USB, it was limited to 6 keys plus up to 4 modifier keys.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa, do you even know what insane question you are asking?

With that said, if your dad's comp (I assume he has a Mac) is running boot camp (dualbooting Mac+Windows), you can find out that way (or find a Mac friend).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

and then get a real keyboard.

logitech makes some excellent thin keyboards.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

kode54 wrote:I was looking at some overpriced keyboard on some store,
and it claimed to only have zero keylock problems with PS/2 interface,
while with USB, it was limited to 6 keys plus up to 4 modifier keys.
how so? what makes the classic ps/2 interface better than usb?
there was ps/2 <-> usb converter, would it work?

whats the zero keylock ps/2 keyboard brand? i might interested buying one.

with usb keyboard(s), which most box - will have more than just one usb pots,
then with more than one usb keyboards plugged in, it quite possible to have co-op multiplayer (multi-tap snes, linked gameboy/gba/?nds?) assigned to each keyboard,
assuming they don't want use gamepad/joystick that is.

for some weird reason, emu that already support above, scanned as key-logger by most anti-virus ...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote:Well what keyboards are there that are exactly the same but with the additional functions for Windows?
By exactly the same, you mean what? Made of aluminum? Thin as hell? Requiring bizarre workarounds to make them function properly? Carrying a picture of a half-eaten fruit in the corner?
I assume the Apple keyboard also has no keylock problem too where pressing too many keys at once jams the keyboard.
You would be wrong. Even paying the Apple tax, wiring 104 discrete switches is economically unfeasible. Apple's keyboard is matrixed just like EVERYONE ELSE'S.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Re:

Post by kode54 »

Rashidi wrote:whats the zero keylock ps/2 keyboard brand? i might interested buying one.
Here you go.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: Re:

Post by Deathlike2 »

kode54 wrote:
Rashidi wrote:whats the zero keylock ps/2 keyboard brand? i might interested buying one.
Here you go.
lol wtf @ price?!

Is there a USB version of the same type of keyboard (the converter used for that keyboard doesn't count)...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
franpa wrote:Well what keyboards are there that are exactly the same but with the additional functions for Windows?
By exactly the same, you mean what? Made of aluminum? Thin as hell? Requiring bizarre workarounds to make them function properly? Carrying a picture of a half-eaten fruit in the corner?
Same general shape/size, low profile, nearly silent, wired, 101 keys (no need for any media functions) and at least the ability to press 2 arrow keys (or ctrl and alt) and spacebar all together and have them all function correctly.

I like that there's no excessive bezels or apple symbols (might be one on the back on the model sticker) on the Apple keyboard too.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I have that keyboard and I can say it has the multiple keypresses problem, but it's an otherwise decent keyboard. I got it because of desk space issues. Only trouble is it's a bit difficult to clean. The finish is mostly matte on everything so most stuff just gets stuck to it over time, and also the keycaps don't come off. I know there are guides on taking them off and if you're lucky they might work, but don't even try, the keys are way too easy to break that way (I broke one, myself.). Some people don't like how it feels, but I think it beats out at least most laptop keyboards as well as the majority of cheapo desktop keyboards. You'd think it'd be mushy because of the chicklet keys, but it has a bit of a click to it when pressed all the way down, kinda the way a lot of gamepad buttons feel. It doesn't just mush down like a TV remote or bad gamepad or the majority of keyboards out there.

You could try something like autohotkey to remap F13-F15, and also clear acts as numlock by default, at least on here. You can probably also swap command (windows/super) and option (alt). One key you won't be able to get back is insert in the place of "fn". That seems to be some kind of internal switch that nothing can detect, which changes the behavior of the F row.

Also, the Apple logo is engraved on the bottom.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
kode54
Zealot

Re: Re:

Post by kode54 »

Deathlike2 wrote:
kode54 wrote:Is there a USB version of the same type of keyboard (the converter used for that keyboard doesn't count)...
It is a USB keyboard. It uses a converter to connect to PS/2 connectors. And somehow, I doubt that the converter is anything more than the generic dumb wiring converter used by USB mice for the same purpose, in that the device has to support PS/2 communication on its own for the adapter to work.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]