PAL60 to NTSC (EDIT: SOLVED)

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Re: PAL60 to NTSC (EDIT: SOLVED)

Post by lordmissus »

lol
Last edited by lordmissus on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

mmm, net yaroze. if they didn't cost so much i would've gotten one of them when my first psx died (a horrible death due to a dorm-mate leaving it running for 5 hours on carpet).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

lol
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

lordmister wrote:heh, yeah.

my consoles are on top of the covers for 50-cd spindle stacks, so heat can escape into air, rather than into carpet, then back into the console. Putting them straight on a carpet is really dumb, otherwise. Put my PS2 on carpet to test; fan was speed up after 5 minutes, and the console was quite hot. Didn't try it again, and never will.
Yeah. That was in the "do not do" list back in the days of the 2600. IT seems blatantly obvious that you should do that less now that they actually generate heat.
I actually saw a net yaroze on ebay, a green console (they don't have region protection, and they play backups, since they are dev consoles). Didn't cost too much, but I didn't have the money at the time.
Actually, the Yaroze is a neutered dev console.
While it IS region-free, it WON'T play pirated disks.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

lordmister wrote:heh, yeah.

my consoles are on top of the covers for 50-cd spindle stacks, so heat can escape into air, rather than into carpet, then back into the console. Putting them straight on a carpet is really dumb, otherwise. Put my PS2 on carpet to test; fan was speed up after 5 minutes, and the console was quite hot. Didn't try it again, and never will.
my consoles are in an entertainment center because i'm not 8
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

lol
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

in my dorm room (back when i was in a dorm), my console was on a desk or a dresser. because i'm not 8.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

my consoles are in a custom built wooden piece of furniture with a dark brown lacquer finish with dimensions optimally designed for them

because i know the right peoples
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

lordmister wrote:An entertainment center would be nice.

I doubt that I could fit one in this tiny bedroom, though, and given that I live with 7 other people, all the other rooms are taken.
Actually, the Yaroze is a neutered dev console.
While it IS region-free, it WON'T play pirated disks.
Really? I read on some ebay auctions for net yaroze consoles that they read backups.

Those consoles that I saw must just be ordinary PSX models, with a stealth mm3 chip installed, and a custom case. They call it a net yaroze, so that their listing isn't ended early (ebay is otherwise very strict about copyright and piracy).

Huh.
Yeah. That or they're confused about what the Yaroze is capable of.
Let's put it this way... you really think SCE(A, E. I, it doesn't matter in this case) would make available to consumers a system capable of playing CD-R copies of commercial games?

That's part of why the Yaroze was such a disaster. It was a great idea at first(put dev consoles in the hands of hobbyists), but by the time it got to market, it had been butchered almost beyond recognition(let's only make them available on a website we don't advertise, not give them the "real" dev software, prevent them from loading homebrew code off a CD so that it all has to fit into system RAM, and force them to sign a contract giving SCE first refusal rights to any software that was publishable in spite of those restrictions... ).
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

lol
Last edited by lordmissus on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

so why all the talk about carpets? do you honestly think that people still do that, and that they read these message boards?

i'd still put my console on something solid instead of balancing it on spindles. i also didn't take my entire life with me to college.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

lordmister wrote:
Let's put it this way... you really think SCE(A, E. I, it doesn't matter in this case) would make available to consumers a system capable of playing CD-R copies of commercial games?
Yeah, that's what I thought, so the whole net yaroze thing kind of puzzled me.

I didn't know that they were actually sold to consumers though; I thought they were given to devs (Namco, Konami, etc) to test software with ease, when developing for the system.
And originally, the Yaroze was INTENDED to be the same as a real dev kit, with a complete development environment, full dev libraries, extensive documentation, everything.
Then corporate happened, the software got nerfed, the documentation got hacked down, and the hardware got crippled.
So, basically they released a console apparently for development, but it required a special kit that was harder to find, and even with the kit, you couldn't bun games onto a CD-R and play, you had to fit your games in the whopping 2MB of RAM that the PSX had.
Errr.... the Yaroze didn't require a special kit. It WAS a kit.
When you bought a Yaroze, you got everything you needed to develop Yaroze games, except for a PC.
Compiler and development environment, Yaroze libraries, null modem cable, and hardware were all supplied by Sony.

Apparently, a lot of early PS1 games DID work exactly like Yaroze restrictions. At boot, they copied their code from CD to RAM and then didn't use the drive for anything more than redbook audio(redbook is also possible on Yaroze, as I understand it).
There's a reason this was only early games, though. 2MB gets crowded fast.

If you mean the PS1 appeared to be a development platform... you're just wrong. The Yaroze was not even hinted at until well after launch. And SCEA never advertized it. They didn't even allocate funds to advertize it. It was purely word-of-mouth.
Which probably explains why there's so much misinformation out today.
Huh. So net yaroze is basically a region free PSX that disables piracy. Might aswell just make one of those lame "anti-piracy"* modchips and put it in a normal PSX.
AND enables downloading code into RAM from the serial port AND supplies a (crippled) development kit.

That's got Sony written all over it. At least they tried though, Sega and Nintendo didn't do anything like that.
Really? I'm pretty sure that's a large reason of why Dreamcast could boot CD-Rs, was to encourage homebrew. And they had a hell of a lot more homebrew than PS1 ever did... or PS2 for that matter.

The FamiCom had a BASIC cartridge and keyboard.
Not that you could do anything truly amazing with BASIC on a FamiCom, but... they tried? And both FamiCom and Super FamiCom had those "make a shooter" games.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Even Atari 2600 had a basic programming cartridge. :p. Talk about simple. Probably could barely make a guess the number game.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:Even Atari 2600 had a basic programming cartridge. :p. Talk about simple. Probably could barely make a guess the number game.
Given it only had 128 bytes of RAM to work with, and a 24-key keyboard(technically two twelve-key keyboards)?
There's a sample Pong program in the manual, and I think that was close to the most complex program you could make.

Honestly, I'm always impressed at the complexity of VCS games. Two sprites, 128 bytes of RAM, and they got everything you can imagine out of it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

necro edit