This forum looks TERRIBLE on a wide-screen monitor.

Got a suggestion or complaint? Go ahead and share, but please be nice about it.

Moderator: General Mods

Ichinisan
Veteran

This forum looks TERRIBLE on a wide-screen monitor.

Post by Ichinisan »

I have about 20 tabs open, so I keep my browser maximized. Most PHPBB forums put pillars on the side to make it usable on a wide-screen monitor.

At 1920x1200, the board isn't very usable.
Need a new sig...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: This forum looks TERRIBLE on a wide-screen monitor.

Post by grinvader »

? It's perfectly functional on 1920x1080, which is an even wider ratio. Not sure what you mean.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

eh, probably doesn't like that the page actually runs the entire width of the browser window regardless of res, as opposed to being restricted. can't really argue with him there, but then again, running a browser window maximized at 1920x1080 is just plain silly imho.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

And what would be the point of not running it maximized, so you can have an IRC window or something else of equal distraction level running next to the browser? Maybe at that point, you should also have a second monitor, so you can also have that important chatter on display even when you're playing full screen games or watching movies full screen.

I run my browser maximized on my desktop system (1920x1080) and on my laptop. (1366x768) I also hate web pages with constrained width, because often the constrained width is used to put full height ads along both sides of the content. Like surrounding the page with a gigantic McDonald's ad, or something equally stupid. Although, the last time I saw such an ad was before I started using AdBlock Plus, so maybe it just gets filled with empty solid colored space now.

I still find that there are occasional pages which overflow the width of my displays.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

odditude wrote:...running a browser window maximized at 1920x1080 is just plain silly imho.
I couldn't possibly manage this many tabs without maximizing.
Need a new sig...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I run my browser maximized at 1280*960, with a sidebar full of bookmarks. And have IRC and IM off on a second monitor. I also use tabs+multiple windows on my internet browser.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

You could probably use some kind of user CSS/javascript in whatever browser you use to set a max-width on the body of websites, or this website specifically, so it doesn't fill up all the space. Having it set specifically for all is kinda lame, especially for future displays and stuff where you may end up with a tiny sliver in the middle of the screen because the monitor is 4000 pixels in width and the limit is 1000, and just people who would prefer something different.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

looks fine here
bringing Zsnes back
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yeah, it's more a personal preference problem, not so much being broken or anything.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
spiller
JSNES Developer
JSNES Developer

Post by spiller »

So change the zoom level, silly. Doesn't that help?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

No, see, he wants the content to fill a 4:3 square in the middle of the page. Or maybe even slimmer than that. Like those nasty web pages that slim the content down so they can make room for a gigantic static advertisement surround, like imdb.com does when you don't disable javascript for the entire domain.