Snes9x is weird?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Snes9x is weird?

Post by Cammygirl192 »

On a few XP systems I have tried, the Snes9x application (1.53) comes up the usual missing DLL thing, and a bunch of other errors if you put the DLL in there even if DX9.0c is installed.

However 1.52 and 1.51 do not seem to create this error at all.

Any reasons why?
:3
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Snes9x is weird?

Post by odditude »

you don't have the latest (post 9.0c) updates - see here and here.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Oh. Funny how when I ask the same question somewhere else, nobody actually tells me that.

Thanks, I'll go and do it now.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Termingamer2-JD wrote:Oh. Funny how when I ask the same question somewhere else, nobody actually tells me that.

Thanks, I'll go and do it now.
It's an insane situation, no one knows why MS continued updating DirectX 9.0c without incrementing the version number or including it in Windows Update.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

I can't download it in Windows XP, it just gives me the trashy message from Microsoft that XP has ended support and there's no link there.

I'll try getting every DLL manually and doing that way, seeing as Microsoft are idiots and WANT me to upgrade to that trash known as Windows 8.1. No thanks, I'm staying with XP.
odditude

Post by odditude »

the very first search result on Google for "directx 9.0c xp" is Microsoft's download page.

and xp is ancient... even ignoring Vista, Win7 is over 6 years old.
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Oh well, there's still a lot of people who like XP for being better than the ones after it, anyway

7 reminds me of Vista with bug fixes, a couple of removed/hidden programs (Windows Mail etc) and nothing else, 8 is bad and I never tried 10.

I'll run that for the 4718th time and see if it works, again, I'll replace snes9x 1.52 with 1.53 and hopefully it does. If it doesn't then I'll have to throw it under a bus.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Termingamer2-JD wrote:Oh well, there's still a lot of people who like XP for being better than the ones after it, anyway
But real men prefer 2K for being XP's stronger, smarter, better-looking brother.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

I heard 2K was better than XP, but XP might be better for home use. But I do not know.
Anyway this case is solved.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:But real men prefer 2K for being XP's stronger, smarter, better-looking brother.
Brothers. Right.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

2k-tan is also better than XP-tan.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Does Windows 10 have its own, errr... "-tan"?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Agozer wrote:Does Windows 10 have its own, errr... "-tan"?
Probably. I haven't checked. Vocaloid fans ruined the world of cartoon girls based on software.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Agozer wrote:Does Windows 10 have its own, errr... "-tan"?
Of course!</raul>
It's pretty much impossible to avoid it now - fans come up with a design months before actual release. There even are officially endorsed avatars (like 10-tan):

Of course, she was instantly meme'd because of her stupid colour scheme:

STR➈NGEST
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:2k-tan is also better than XP-tan.
Both are superior to 8-tan, 8.1-tan and 10-tan, though, if we settle on both opinions.
Windows Me is the dead baby brother to 2k and XP.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Awww, Me-tan tries her best. She's clumsy and not very smart, but she tries.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Awww, Me-tan tries her best. She's clumsy and not very smart, but she tries.
Could be true - at least she shares the look of 2k-tan.

iOS is nothing either. iPads are the same as laptops only you can't run what you want to and it's too limited. And the keyboard is stupid on those things.

(I was only taking the mick of ME because everyone seems to do so, a bit like Vista)

And as for Vista and 7: Vista is the one with the pretty looks, but she isn't liked by many. However 7 is loved, although it looks the same, and IS the same with different things on it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Termingamer2-JD wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Awww, Me-tan tries her best. She's clumsy and not very smart, but she tries.
Could be true - at least she shares the look of 2k-tan.
https://i.imgur.com/AosJ7Fy.jpg

I'm not seein' it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

ME is different to 2k's look? I was referring to 'windows standard' style on XP which on wikpedia says is the 2k/Me style, and 'classic' is 95/98 style

But ohwell

And I can't see the image right now, I can check later and revise this post.

---
OK, I thought we were discussing the OS at one point, lol, but whatever.
Anyway I found Vista-tan on google... the one that was hard to get used to, but great if you did.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Termingamer2-JD wrote: OK, I thought we were discussing the OS at one point, lol, but whatever.
Anyway I found Vista-tan on google... the one that was hard to get used to, but great if you did.
At one point, yes. The precise moment at which we changed was when Grinvader posted the pic of MAI WAIFU and XP together.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Oh, yeah.

Anyway the problem is fixed now except that Direct3D doesn't work, but DirectDraw and OpenGL seem to. I don't know why, though.
And anyway I used to think snes9x was called that because it required v9 of DirectX, some reason.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Termingamer2-JD wrote:And anyway I used to think snes9x was called that because it required v9 of DirectX, some reason.
snes9x was named as such because it was the merger of two previous projects, snes96 and snes97.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35 contains a broken link to the DirectX Web Updater which is what I strongly recommend people use. There's also this problem: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=34429 is an old 2007 copy of the web updater and https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... g=en&id=35 is a newer 2011 copy of the program.

I also don't know why almost every game available on Steam includes a separate copy of the 150MB "DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime" instead of separate copies of the 300KB "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer", you literally need a internet connection to download the game you're installing so I see no reason to not include a DirectX installer that requires the internet (Exception for physical disc releases)! This would save gamers several gigabytes of space on their HDD's and shorten the download size of most games by 150MB! Heck Steam/Valve could go a step further and implement a central repository for dependencies stored on each users computer and have game installers check the repository for the necessary dependency installer, if it doesn't exist in the users repository it only then downloads it (1 copy of each dependency instead of a copy in each game that demands it). Oh also, using the web installer would drastically reduce installation time for games too!
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64