USB adapter, with windows 7

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

chemcaky

USB adapter, with windows 7

Post by chemcaky »

Hello,

I've done a lot of searching, and am yet to find an answer to my problem... so if it's already been answered, I apologise.

I bought a USB adapter for the classic SNES controller off ebay about a year or two ago, and played it lots with no problems for some time on my old computer which was running Windows XP. That machine then bit the dust and conked out, forcing me to upgrade. The new computer came with Windows 7, which I really like! It's great for everything, except the USB SNES adapter... which won't work. The adapter appears to have no branding on the actual unit, but here is a picture from the ebay seller:

When I plug it into any USB port, the device appears to install correctly like any other USB device does with the little bubble popping up out of the task bar. The device also shows up in the "devices and printers" control panel, and appears to be working correctly to the best of my limited computer knowledge. Here is a screen shot:

However when I use the "Input" function in ZSNES, my key presses aren't registered. I can't get passed the screen saying "press button for up" or whatever... without pressing esc or any other button on my keyboard for that matter. The controller appears not to be recognised

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this working with Windows 7?

Thanks heaps!

Chemacky
paulguy
Zealot

Re: USB adapter, with windows 7

Post by paulguy »

go to start -> control panel, then go to game controllers, then try testing it from there. If it doesn't work there then there's an odd windows problem.

Either way, I'd try disabling/terminating any hotkey/gamepad/profiling/macroing/etc software that might be interfering with input. There might also be some software that came with your computer that might be interfering, especially if it's a laptop.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
chemcaky

Post by chemcaky »

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, where do I find "game controllers" in control panel? I couldn't find it anywhere, except for "USB Gamepad" in the devices and printers as seen in the screenshot.

My computer is not a laptop, but it did come with windows pre-installed and a number of pre-installed programs... most of which I have uninstalled. As far as i'm aware, I don't have any hotkey/gamepad/profiling/macroing/etc installed at all. Is this a common thing to come pre-installed?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Open the Control Panel, type "game" into the search box, and click the "Set up USB game controllers" link.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

...or you can just right-click that gamepad icon in "Devices and Printers" and choose "Game controller settings."

Choose "Properties" from the dialog that pops up, and make sure all of the inputs are displayed there when you try them.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
chemcaky

Post by chemcaky »

Ok, after going through the calibration and settings in there, nothing appears to function or respond during any of it.

So I assume this is an issue with windows 7. Anyone got any ideas?!

Thanks heaps for the help so far.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

If you want, you can try testing it on other operating systems, but I doubt the outcome will be much different. If you're bored enough, you may install other operating systems inside a virtual machine application, such as Virtualbox, redirect the USB device into the virtual machine, and see if the guest operating system works with it.

You may also try testing your SNES controller with an actual SNES to verify that it's still functional.
chemcaky

Post by chemcaky »

It worked absolutely brilliantly on my old XP machine, and the controller also works well with a SNES console.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Does it require any special drivers on XP? On Windows 7? If it's a generic USB controller, it shouldn't.
chemcaky

Post by chemcaky »

It's an adapter. IT didn't require anything on XP. Just plugged it straight in.
zaerox

Post by zaerox »

You seem to have the exact same problem as I do. Only difference is my usb adapter(which is for a ps2controller btw) worked about a year ago for my win7 but doesn't work today. It works with all my other emulators(sega, psx, nintendo and the snes9x) just not the zsnes and snes9x is, to be honest, such a shi*ty emulator compared to zsnes.
chemcaky

Post by chemcaky »

Does your controller respond when you go to gamepad settings in the control panel?
zaerox

Post by zaerox »

No it doesn't. I saw your post some days ago and I created one myself. You can read all about my problems there if you want to it's also located in the controller forum. I know I could probably just uninstall win7 then install it again skipping the updates I've made over the year and see if it makes any difference(which I think it will). But there's no reason it shouldn't work with my windows with all the updates I've made etc, etc, it just doesn't... And that makes me so mad and I'm not gonna reset everything I have on my computer just because of a snes emulator even though it's tempting...

Sorry I couldn't be of any help and please let me know if you find an answer as I'm probably looking for the same one.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

zaerox wrote:You seem to have the exact same problem as I do. Only difference is my usb adapter(which is for a ps2controller btw) worked about a year ago for my win7 but doesn't work today. It works with all my other emulators(sega, psx, nintendo and the snes9x) just not the zsnes and snes9x is, to be honest, such a shi*ty emulator compared to zsnes.
Saying that Snes9x is a shitty emulator automatically disqualifies your thoughts and opinions from mattering.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
chemcaky

Post by chemcaky »

So snes9x worked with your controller?
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Was trying to load some roms and Zsnes onto my bf's laptop so he could play them during his down time at community college. Normally on my XP machine plugging in a USB pad was all you had do and it'd registered the key presses within the emulator, but with 7 I have to calibrate it each time I plug it in or it doesn't even act like it's there... I found game controller settings once by total accident, then forgotten how / where I'd found it. Another agitating thing is they seem to have quit displaying entire paths, was trying to set the folders for saves and such in Zsnes and normally I'd just minimize Zsnes with ALT + Enter and type the path in as I read it from the folder, but 7 took that away too. I can click the little triangle to the right to get a glimpse of the path, but once I'd go to click the Zsnes window to type stuff in it'd revert.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

I_am_dumb wrote:but with 7 I have to calibrate it each time I plug it in or it doesn't even act like it's there...
that's not normal, does NOT happen on either my desktop or laptop.
I_am_dumb wrote:I found game controller settings once by total accident, then forgotten how / where I'd found it.
easiest way to get to game controller settings is to go to Devices and Printers, right-click on a gamepad, and choose "Game controller settings."
I_am_dumb wrote:Another agitating thing is they seem to have quit displaying entire paths, was trying to set the folders for saves and such in Zsnes and normally I'd just minimize Zsnes with ALT + Enter and type the path in as I read it from the folder, but 7 took that away too. I can click the little triangle to the right to get a glimpse of the path, but once I'd go to click the Zsnes window to type stuff in it'd revert.
tools/folder options, check both "show all folders" and "always expand to current folder." also, if you bring up the property sheet for a file, the fully-qualified path to its location is displayed.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

lol... My bf just used CTRL V to paste the path from clipboard after copying it from the pull down triangle thing. I feel like a tard. I had just assumed paste function didn't work in Zsnes, since I couldn't do it before when trying to copy Game Genie / Pro Action Replay codes from the net (did that manually too, with Zsnes in window mode).
Uffdabock

Post by Uffdabock »

Hi all. Thought I would post my situation in this thread since it is very active (was pleased to see that).

I have Windows 7 64. I have used both Zsnes and Snes9x and know how to configure a controller in each. I have Joytokey installed.

Game controller settings in the control panel detects both my PS2 controllers as "Twin USB stick" and all the buttons work great.

So I use a ps2 adapter. Here is the link to the one I own http://www.amazon.com/PS2-USB-Dual-Cont ... roduct_top (the legit one with the red LEDs).
I love this adapter. It works flawlessly with Snes9x and even is detected and works for my PS3 (great way to make use of my 3 PS2 controllers).

Problem is Zsnes won't detect either of my PS2 controllers. Recalibrating them doesn't fix it nor does using diff version of Zsnes (1.51,1.43,1.337) :(
I have them plugged in before running Zsnes. I have tried just using one controller in either of the 2 ports.

I would really like to use Zbattlenet and play online. Since both controllers work flawlessly with Snes9x does anyone know if there is an actice online community with that emulator? From what I read Zbattlenet is the only active SNES community.

I have read suggestions to use Joytokey to solve the "input" problem but Joytokey doesn't want to work with them either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am not giving up on Joytokey. Maybe I just haven't tried every option in there. However, a fix that just involves Zsnes would be great.
chemcaky

Post by chemcaky »

Just an update on mine. The controller works perfectly with Snes9x, so I suppose the issue is definitely on the Zsnes end.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Send a developer a sample of the hardware and they may consider fixing it for you.
club

Post by club »

I'm having the exact same problem here...

Have a usb-to-ps2 adapter. Worked perfectly with Zsnes on several XP machines.

I moved to Win7, controller is recognized by Windows and the tester utility shows it works fine. But for some reason Zsnes under Win7 just doesnt "see" the controller.

Tried it on snes9x and it works fine. I really prefer Zsnes, but if this is what I have to do, so be it. Really hope the Zsnes dev does some testing/tweaking for Windows 7.
dstarfire

Post by dstarfire »

For the OP, you can get drivers for your adaptor here: http://www.mayflash.com/?Support/down/

For others who're having issues, try configuring the controller input from within ZSNES. I used a ps2 controller via an adaptor (that I bought at radio shack) with no problem, besides having to manually configure the keys in zsnes.