Activision axes the Guitar Hero franchise, and new Mario...

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Activision axes the Guitar Hero franchise, and new Mario...

Post by adventure_of_link »

...is lazy. WTF? @_@

Yes, the fat lady is indeed singing her heart out, as the musical genre is dying. First, Viacom sold off Rock Band developer Harmonix. Just this last week, longtime Rock Band publisher MTV Games shut down. This is due in part to:

1. the double-dip economic downturn
2. oversaturation of the musical genre
and 3. dwindling interest in this genre

As a result, Activision is dumping the Guitar Hero franchise, and will cut its work force down by 7%.

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/374-ac ... franchise/

Also, Mario should just stick to platform jumping. While he succeeds there, in other areas, he's not. With the new Mario Sports Pack, only 67% of reviewers are leaving anything good, compared to 97%+ for Super Mario Galaxy 2. Seriously, people just need to do what they do best, and if it's not bad enough, SMP was sourced to known RPG maker, Square-Enix.

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/364-cr ... ubstantial
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Re: Activision axes the Guitar Hero franchise, and new Mario

Post by sweener2001 »

you know, last time mario was sourced to square, we got super mario rpg. or did you forget that?
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You also missed the fact that this is how nintendo's been (successfully) working these last 25 fucking years:
- make a game of any kind that doesn't need a specific protagonist
- put your very well-known and brand-promoting character as protagonist even if it makes no sense
- ????
- profit

They've been proving for a while now that putting a famous figure as protagonist of an otherwise bland game makes it just more interesting for customers. "hey, it's mario !... playing soccer. And he's got some wild moves. Coool !"
Or something. Note that SEGA didn't do this with Sonic until it was largely too late to catch up (there's like, a pinball game, and a puyo puyo clone). Sonic was pretty much locked in his fast-paced-platforming category, which didn't prove deep enough to bring enough people for decades. Everytime they try to pull him out of there in a game where he's the hero, it doesn't end well.

Back to nintendo, this is why every new platform they make will always have a mario game, a zelda game, a kirby game, and so on until they run out of mascots to use. Lots of mascots means a whole bunch of games to develop for every platform you create.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

sweener2001 wrote:you know, last time mario was sourced to square, we got super mario rpg. or did you forget that?
No, and I do agree SMRPG kicks ass; it's just a bit of a shock that Square-Enix was now making sports games.. :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

sweener2001 wrote:you know, last time mario was sourced to square, we got super mario rpg. or did you forget that?
No, the last time Mario was sourced at Square, we got Mario Basketball.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i'm going to have to plead ignorance on that point. mostly because i don't care at all for mario [insert activity] games.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

This shouldn't be much of a surprise. The more "well-known" sports game Sega done with Nintendo was Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:Note that SEGA didn't do this with Sonic until it was largely too late to catch up (there's like, a pinball game, and a puyo puyo clone).
Also a Mario Kart-ish.
But then, EVERYONE made a Mario Kart-ish.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

is there any 'Tactic Mario' games?
you know, Tactic Ogre-ish, FFT-ish, Super Robot Wars-ish, Fire Emblem-ish, Shining Force-ish, Langrisser-ish, etc..., games with Mario's cast.
if there was, i want to know.

at least TYPE-MOON made that kind of game with casts from their visual novel series.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

The difference between Rock Band/GH and Mario?

the Mario [activity] games don't cost millions to make.

hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Modern Warfare2 costs more than all the mario games to make.

Activision is stuck in short-term returns mode. Its a hard rut for a company to get out of.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Rashidi wrote:is there any 'Tactic Mario' games?
you know, Tactic Ogre-ish, FFT-ish, Super Robot Wars-ish, Fire Emblem-ish, Shining Force-ish, Langrisser-ish, etc..., games with Mario's cast.
if there was, i want to know.
I don't know of any. There's no mario RTS either. Or mario plumbing tycoon.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54