Possible Bug with Expanded LoRoms?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

justin3009

Possible Bug with Expanded LoRoms?

Post by justin3009 »

I'm not entirely sure if this post should be here but I've been working on a project and had to expand Mega Man X3, a LoRom, to be 32 Mbit instead of 16 Mbit, giving me quite a bit more room to mess with.

The graphics I had added load perfectly fine up in SNES9X which leads me to believe it's an emulator issue, but this is what happens in ZSNES 1.51 and any other verison for that matter.

Image - Those are graphics in bank 20, the start of huge chunk of empty space.

For what I've seen above and talked to a couple others, it seems to be an emulator issue but I'm not entirely sure. Any of the experts want to take a whack at this? Can I truly NOT expand the rom and load graphics from this bank? (I think I even had issues with code as well :/ ) I hope that isn't the case because that's really going to throw a huge project into the trash.

Edit: I used Lunar Expand in case that information is needed.

Edit 2: The Chksum is bad but that's most likely due to the rom expansion. But that shouldn't even effect it in this manner..

System Specs
=================
Model: Inspiron 531
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor+ (2 CPUs), ~2.3ghz
Memory: 2048 RAM
Direct X 11

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: Possible Bug with Expanded LoRoms?

Post by badinsults »

It is entirely possible that zsnes is not interpreting the expanded rom properly. Your best bet is to modify the emulator to see if this is the case. It is possible that zsnes doesn't like you expanding a game that uses the CX-4 chip, check the specs of the chip to see what it expects.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

i'd try it in bsnes and (if there are any copiers that support C4) on an actual console. i don't have a copier or flash cart, but there's likely someone here who does.

(posted in the project thread on rhdn, too, in case the op doesn't come back.)
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
justin3009

Post by justin3009 »

Yep, it bugs up on Bsnes as well :| Not as bad but it still bugs up to the point of graphics not even being readable.

The alternative method I have to "fix" this bug maybe is to bump all of the text to bank 20 (41) or more..but I think that'll cause errors with dialogue then. If it does, I'm really not sure what to do to fix this, if it's even fixable at all.

Edit: The information for the CX4 chips is on this site.

http://users.tpg.com.au/advlink/dsp/cx4.html

Edit 2: Strange. I can load text outside in those banks but graphics don't work.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

"Lorom" is oversimplified. C4 is not lorom. You cannot do what you want without creating a unique mapper.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

is there any screenshot on how it look on snes9x?
justin3009

Post by justin3009 »

Image - That's what it looks like.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Probably exploiting snes9x' way to handle c4 memmapping.

Zsnes only maps the stuff the pages needed by the 2 games, and i don't really know what bsnes does these days.

Basically, you may expand the rom, but the resulting stuff isn't accessible.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
justin3009

Post by justin3009 »

It seems like expanding the rom works but only graphics are inaccessible. I bumped text out into those banks as a test and it was able to loaded perfectly fine. So it seems maybe a CX4 limitation?

Either way, as long as I'm able to bump extra stuff into the other banks then that should leave enough room to add in whatever graphics we may need.