Blaster Master/Crystalis thread, maybe other great games too

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

SampleNick11

Blaster Master/Crystalis thread, maybe other great games too

Post by SampleNick11 »

I ask you...
What is the best game you have ever played? (a.k.a. What games do you recommend?)

First, I answer:
The best game I have ever played is Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, because it's a good RPG, and it has a lot of text. Besides, if you play it in other language (in the EUR version, there are at least 4 available), is even funnier --of course, if you're able to understand that language :-).

PS: Sorry if a similar post has already created, but I don't find any like this.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Re: Best console/computer game

Post by Johan_H »

We don't get much gaming discussions here these days so, might as well...

I don't keep all-time favourites, that never made sense to me. But the last game I can think of that really, really got me hooked would be Shiren The Wanderer. I guess it's really a classic roguelike with the production values of a SNES RPG.
Although I play the DS version, I suppose I owe Gideon a thanks for translating the original SFC version because that's what initially made me interested in the game. Thankses!

Desktop Dungeons is also pretty neat if you like that kind of stuff.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

As far as best games ever...

Asteroids.
Or Asteroids Deluxe if you're a godless heathen.
(spoilers: I am, and think Deluxe is far better than the original)
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

International Karate+ on the Commodore 64/128.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap for sega master system.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Gonzo wrote:Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap for sega master system.
Or, if you like more colors and better soundtrack, there's the Turbografx-16 / PC Engine port, Dragon's Curse, which is curiously called Adventure Island in Japan.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Super Mario RPG.

the one game I played and played and played till it wouldnt play no more.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Cave Story :)
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Hard time deciding between Blaster Master and Crystalis.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Blaster Master and Crystalis

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Louis Cypher wrote:Hard time deciding between Blaster Master and Crystalis.
I'd go with Crystalis.

Blaster Master has a bit of room for improvement.
'S a few places it's possible to get the tank almost irretrievably stuck without suiciding, and late-game there's a room or two where you can omit the almost and without suiciding parts and just be irretrievably stuck with no options other than the reset button...
Not that I'm holding a grudge or anything.
*throws his Advantage at the NES*

And while not really NECESSARY, I'd also like to see some more on-foot overworld areas. They go to such great pains to emphasize how dangerous being on foot is in the second room of the game(I'm convinced that the sole reason that ladder with the giant robot at the bottom in stage 1 exists is to remind you how weak puny hew-mans are and how glad you should be to drive a jump-tank), and then the only time it ever comes up again is in the water stage, save for one screen in the sewers(also the only non-cosmetic change between Blaster Master and Metafight, which was hilariously insane for that one screen).

Those two parts have a really great tension to them, I love the water stage for the extended out-of-tank adventure, and it's a real shame it never comes up again.

This thread is now a Blaster Master and Crystalis discussion thread, and the subject needs to be edited appropriately.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

kode54 wrote:
Or, if you like more colors and better soundtrack, there's the Turbografx-16 / PC Engine port, Dragon's Curse, which is curiously called Adventure Island in Japan.
I wasn't aware that WB3 was ported on any other systems(apart from the game gear). Damn, I'm intrigued now. I'm going to have to hunt that version of the game down.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

For me it would have to be Majora's Mask... or a game in the Metroid series. But then, there's so many great games out there that the "best game ever" question is pretty much impossible to answer.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Blaster Master and Crystalis

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:This thread is now a Blaster Master and Crystalis discussion thread, and the subject needs to be edited appropriately.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Gonzo wrote:
kode54 wrote:
I wasn't aware that WB3 was ported on any other systems(apart from the game gear). Damn, I'm intrigued now. I'm going to have to hunt that version of the game down.
tg16 ver is fantastic.

archon (atari 8-bit, ideally)
mm2

and l2 sword of fire shots for amazing firestream action.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote:
kode54 wrote:
As I understand things, the original Wonderboy and Adventure Island were actually created as a joint effort between Sega and Hudson. Consequently, there is some weird overlap between the two franchises.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I'd go with Crystalis.

'S a few places it's possible to get the tank almost irretrievably stuck without suiciding, and late-game there's a room or two where you can omit the almost and without suiciding parts and just be irretrievably stuck with no options other than the reset button...
Ah, but Crystalis is lightly flawed, too! There are a few spots where you have to grind heavily, most notably when going towards Sabera's island and right before the end of the game. It doesn't even let you *hurt* bosses if your level is too low, and if you get stuck in one of those fights you've no other choice but to die/reload. The gigantic Fortress of Goa dungeon where you reprise the Finest Four fights is so, so easy to get lost in, and DYNA is a total pushover as far as final bosses go.

Which isn't to say that they're not both bloody fantastic games, 'cuz they damn well are.
This thread is now a Blaster Master and Crystalis discussion thread, and the subject needs to be edited appropriately.
Bonus trivia: Athena is an SNK brand figure. She gets her own game, and she shows up frequently in King of Fighters. Ah, but she's in Crystalis, too! They just translated her name wrong. I seem to recall reading that the other three wise men had similarly related SNK-trivia, but I'm blanking on that one...
[Edit] Aha, apparently, the other cameo is Kensou. Both Athena and Kensou show up in SNK's Psycho Soldier, in the arcades. Similarly, the Psycho Armor and Psycho Shield are apparently further references to this that I absolutely never picked up on!
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Louis Cypher wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I'd go with Crystalis.

Ah, but Crystalis is lightly flawed, too! There are a few spots where you have to grind heavily, most notably when going towards Sabera's island and right before the end of the game. It doesn't even let you *hurt* bosses if your level is too low, and if you get stuck in one of those fights you've no other choice but to die/reload. The gigantic Fortress of Goa dungeon where you reprise the Finest Four fights is so, so easy to get lost in, and DYNA is a total pushover as far as final bosses go.
And that is why I never finished the game. I was at the bosses on the mountain, and even though I had no problem getting to the top, I could not damage the bosses and would need to grind to be able to. Talk about a flawed concept.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Blaster Master/Crystalis thread, maybe other great games

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Touche. Though I was more bothered by the constant sword-swapping than by the level floors. Too many enemies with complete immunity to a given sword. Made worse when you're fighting in an area with multiple incompatible elements in close proximity.

Possibly due to my "kill the fuck out of everything, then kill it again for good measure" mentality, I never had a lot of grinding to do... but I spent a lot more time in the equip menu because of it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Though I was more bothered by the constant sword-swapping than by the level floors. Too many enemies with complete immunity to a given sword. Made worse when you're fighting in an area with multiple incompatible elements in close proximity.
If for some reason you feel like experiencing that again, you should try Ys 6's hardest difficulties; in hard mode, random enemies will be vulnerable to only one sword you own (enemy with a blue/red/yellow hue shift). In the hardest mode, more random enemies are vulnerable to only one sword, regardless if you already have it (if you don't, the enemy is darker than normal). Fun times !
Of course, you can hot-swap swords. Makes it a lot less tedious.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude

Post by odditude »

but warrior ring thunderspam is absurdly entertaining, even though you blow past the projectile limit immediately...

it's kinda like if link had permanent swordbeams and got the contra spread gun.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:but warrior ring thunderspam is absurdly entertaining, even though you blow past the projectile limit immediately...

it's kinda like if link had permanent swordbeams and got the contra spread gun.
Two words:
Hell and yes.

Though the Crystalis' shot is damn impressive, and it's a real shame you can only use it in one room of the game.
Then the GBC fuckup changed it where you can use it for an entire dungeon, but it was nerfed into a significant downgrade from the sword of thunder... hell, projectile-wise, it's the worst blade in the game.
And really, who in their right mind would want to fight Emperor Draygon without a full-screen attack? Yes, he's the final boss in the demake.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

never made it through the gbc version... played it for 5 mins in an emu to see if i wanted to buy it, and realized that tiny screen + shitty music = no remake for me.

i think i actually got angry on the first plains and ragequit.

dyna's definitely anticlimactic, though. power ring + barrier = shortest fight ever, just stand and deliver.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:never made it through the gbc version... played it for 5 mins in an emu to see if i wanted to buy it, and realized that tiny screen + shitty music = no remake for me.

i think i actually got angry on the first plains and ragequit.
Good call.
I slogged through the entire thing and I hate myself for it.

On the upside, the part where Kensu gets turned to a slime and you have to use a statue to change him back...
In the GBC version, he was MOVED to a slime, and you're actually bringing his body back to him. Which results in the amusing text "You are now using Kensu's body" when you give it to him.
dyna's definitely anticlimactic, though. power ring + barrier = shortest fight ever, just stand and deliver.
Yeah, but to be fair... it's a computer. They aren't known for kicking ass. And it emphasizes how godly the Crystalis blade truly is that the only target you can use it on falls in seconds before your unbridled wrath.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Yeah, but to be fair... it's a computer. They aren't known for kicking ass. And it emphasizes how godly the Crystalis blade truly is that the only target you can use it on falls in seconds before your unbridled wrath.
still, i wish they'd permitted l2/l3 charges and given you a worthy target :D
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Yeah, but to be fair... it's a computer. They aren't known for kicking ass. And it emphasizes how godly the Crystalis blade truly is that the only target you can use it on falls in seconds before your unbridled wrath.
still, i wish they'd permitted l2/l3 charges and given you a worthy target :D
See, that kind of thinking is what gave us the GBC Crystalis.

And what would you DO for L2 and L3? You've ALREADY got a L1 shot that's so awesome it's special-cased and only usable in a single room because of it. :P
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads