Program pausing

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Program pausing

Post by badinsults »

I wrote this program today (in Fortran), and it takes a while to complete when I give it certain parameters. Anyways, I noticed that the program would occasionally pause for no apparent reason (at least according to my debugging information). When the pause happens, CPU execution of the program goes to nothing, then after a short (but random) time, it starts up again. Even if I set the nice level to -10 or so, it still pauses. I noticed it happen when I would go and use another program (like Firefox). I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 with a quad core IBM processor. Any idea what might be causing this issue?
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Program pausing

Post by paulguy »

Does it go in to Sleep state or waiting on a Device? Usually when that happens, it means some operation is blocking... but this is pretty basic stuff that I'm sure you've investigated. I can't really think of anything else.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Program pausing

Post by grinvader »

i'll just assume ubuntu has a shit scheduler and say, ubuntu has a shit scheduler

carry on
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54