zsnes wont open (windows)

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

apoxyphos

zsnes wont open (windows)

Post by apoxyphos »

i recently tried to install zsnes on my computer ,i extracted the files but when i click on zsnesw.exe i see a small black window for a quarter of second then the icon goes away as well as the black window . Three cfg folder appear :zinput.cfg , zmovie.cfg and zsnes.cfg ....i searched all over for an answer to my question and you guys are my last chance , i not too good with programming and complicated configuration but i love this program and i really wish i could continue using it. Maybe some of you experienced a similar problem or could help me resolve this issue? :)
paulguy
Zealot

Re: zsnes wont open (windows)

Post by paulguy »

I think the usual response to this problem is reinstalling/updating directx and updating video drivers, though I guess I had heard of people having problems running zsnes with newer drivers, so I'm not too sure. Might want to give some specifications.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
apoxyphos

Post by apoxyphos »

i did just that , reinstalled direct x 11 and all but still no luck :( guess i wont be able to make that work
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

paulguy wrote:Might want to give some specifications.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
apoxyphos

Post by apoxyphos »

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor ,3.0 GHz Performance Rated at: 6 GHz,3.2 GB (ram),Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600),GeForce GT 430,273.5 GB (space),direct x 9 , tried for the third time to reinstall verything but it still doesnt work
apoxyphos

Post by apoxyphos »

also have to mention that the first version of zsnes works great (1.20) but anything after that when i click on zsnesz.exe it only shows for one second and goes away
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

someone should try running the windows version.

also, 6 GHz?
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

i can't believe "Performance Ratings" haven't been dead and buried for years
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i don't recall them even existing in XP.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sweener, manufacturer performance ratings, not XP performance ratings.
If he means the Vista/7 rating, he VASTLY misunderstands what a 6.0 means on that screen.
odditude wrote:i can't believe "Performance Ratings" haven't been dead and buried for years
I'm pretty sure they ARE.
AMD makes no reference to a performance rating on their own Athlon specs page.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/ ... rison.aspx
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i didn't know manufacturers did that. weird.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:sweener, manufacturer performance ratings, not XP performance ratings.
If he means the Vista/7 rating, he VASTLY misunderstands what a 6.0 means on that screen.
op said he's running xp sp3. either he's multibooting, has run 6.x in the past, has seen another box with said CPU and win 6.x, or fhqwhgads.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sweener2001 wrote:i didn't know manufacturers did that. weird.
Several times in the past, most recently on the Athlon XPs.
Typically, they've been a "Intel-Megahertz Equivalent" of varying degress of inaccuracy. The Athlon XP ratings were notable in that they were actually somewhat HONEST about the kind of P4 they matched up against.

When Intel adopted performance ratings for the Pentium 4(same reason everyone else had done it in the past, their clock rates were lower than the competition and they wanted to obfuscate it), they divorced it from MHz. It was officially just a way to rank different P4 variants against each other. AMD followed suit, and now no one labels parts by what they actually ARE.

And rather than buying an Intel quad-core i7 at 2.9 GHz with 8 MB of cache and a 22x multiplier, you get an i7 870. REALLY clear packaging.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

odditude wrote:fhqwhgads.
"Everybody to the limit, everybody to the limit, everybody come on Fhqwhgads."
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
apoxyphos

Post by apoxyphos »

like i said before , im not too good with spec and such , my computer was made by a friend and i really dont give a damn about your answer about gHz and VASTLY misunderstanding , instead of laughing at whatever spec i got wrong or anything you couldve helped me , but i guess i was wrong to ask here, ill just take the simple answer : not compatible .thank you again asshole
orugari

Post by orugari »

Try to play with "propreties"...
Force 256 color, force size, old compatibility... etc
Owner of http://www.snes-fr.net
13046 members - 3271754 visitors on 2011/03
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

apoxyphos wrote:like i said before , im not too good with spec and such , my computer was made by a friend and i really dont give a damn about your answer about gHz and VASTLY misunderstanding , instead of laughing at whatever spec i got wrong or anything you couldve helped me , but i guess i was wrong to ask here, ill just take the simple answer : not compatible .thank you again asshole
over-react much?

i didn't read any of that as derogatory to you, and if you did, computer illiteracy is the least of your concerns.

just delete the entire folder that zsnes is in. scan your computer with ccleaner and whatever else you have that scans your computer, check your security settings, update your drivers, redownload zsnes for windows FROM ZSNES.COM into a folder with full read/write access (just make a folder in your documents), and run it. this program isn't rocket science, and it doesn't delve deep into your operating system's guts. whatever this issue is, it's most likely PEBKAC. and whatever you do, do NOT just copy zsnes off of a cd or flash drive.

i still think you're trying to run the dos version, myself.
apoxyphos

Post by apoxyphos »

sweener2001 wrote:i still think you're trying to run the dos version, myself.

yes , sorry i overreacted ,

i was sure i had the window version downloaded so i did everything you wrote ,after that i downloaded the windows version in my document but still it wasnt working...

but something strange happened ,i let the window version in the folder and tried to download the dos version , i extracted it with 7zip and it asked me if i wanted to overwrite the last version i had on the folder , did just that now i have a folder named cwsdpmi.exe and the windows version still in the same folder (i double checked yes its still the windows version) of zsnes 1.51 :lol: .too bad i dont know how to insert the printscreen.

now its working perfectly fine even on my lcd tv , the interface is flawless and all the games works! even mario rpg .im NEVER TOUCHING THIS FOLDER AGAIN XDDD