New PC Built

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

kode54
Zealot

Re: New PC Built

Post by kode54 »

Yes, ATI/AMD video cards may be less power hungry, but let me tell you a story. It's about a fellow ATI/AMD video card owner, trying to run some old game at its fixed low resolution, and finding that the video card drivers want to display the picture centered instead of scaled to fit the screen or scaled to aspect. And he finds that resetting the appropriate setting only has any effect the first time a game changes the video mode, then reverts to centered display the next time a game changes the resolution. Uninstalling CCC also reverts the setting to the apparent default of centered.

Then again, my NVidia drivers think my 1920x1080 Acer H233H 23" TN display panel is actually a HDTV, so it won't allow me to mess with the display scaling settings unless I change my resolution to something lower than the native resolution.

No scaling or resolution problems with my Intel HD Graphics powered laptop, though.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

In Linux, on an nvidia graphics card, most HDTVs will have a horrible smearing effect. ATI drivers will kernel panic frequently but display a proper picture. They both suck in their own ways.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

kode54 wrote:Yes, ATI/AMD video cards may be less power hungry, but let me tell you a story. It's about a fellow ATI/AMD video card owner, trying to run some old game at its fixed low resolution, and finding that the video card drivers want to display the picture centered instead of scaled to fit the screen or scaled to aspect. And he finds that resetting the appropriate setting only has any effect the first time a game changes the video mode, then reverts to centered display the next time a game changes the resolution. Uninstalling CCC also reverts the setting to the apparent default of centered.
I've heard the same story with nVidia. So... they both suck.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I have a H233H and an nvidia card.

Using DVI or HDMI?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

DVI. My card does not have any HDMI outputs.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I use DisplayPort between my 4770 and 2211.
Technological superiority, bitches!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Iron Gil wrote:Superior tech, bitches!
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:
proton... cannon... (infinity!) WHOASHITHUGEBEAMSUPER

i do love me some msh. i remember being amazed the first time i saw that :D

edit: speaking of 4770s, mine (paired with a zalman vf900 cooler, that thing can run SILENT at stock or oc nicely with a tiny bit of noise) is about to be retired. anyone interested?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

odditude wrote:
grinvader wrote:
proton... cannon... (infinity!) WHOASHITHUGEBEAMSUPER

i do love me some msh. i remember being amazed the first time i saw that :D

edit: speaking of 4770s, mine (paired with a zalman vf900 cooler, that thing can run SILENT at stock or oc nicely with a tiny bit of noise) is about to be retired. anyone interested?
PM me.

Edit: Better yet, I will PM you.