Disgaea is coming to PC

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Disgaea is coming to PC

Post by franpa »

I don't know if Grinvader is aware of this, but fucking Disgaea is coming to PC with new textures and the Afternoon of Darkness content! (He's like the only person I know here who is interested in the game).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/405900/
More info: http://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/ ... 0937989014

Pre-order for "free" soundtrack and artbook.
Last edited by franpa on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Re: Disgaea is coming to PC

Post by Agozer »

I'm very much interested in Disgaea, although I couldn't care less about a PC port.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Yeah none of these PC ports of japanese consoles games interest me. It just doesn't feel right to run them as a Windows program. And they often just feel disjointed like FFVII-IX with their mismatched character/background resolutions.

Having typed that I looked at the screenshots and it turns out I was right - it looks horrible. Resized fonts and sprites with bad transparency issues, all with inconsistent resolutions - it looks like a glitchy N64 emulator, or worse.

And to think some people are going to say this is better than the original because at least some -parts- of it are running in HD... *barf*
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

blackmyst wrote:Yeah none of these PC ports of japanese consoles games interest me. It just doesn't feel right to run them as a Windows program. And they often just feel disjointed like FFVII-IX with their mismatched character/background resolutions.

Having typed that I looked at the screenshots and it turns out I was right - it looks horrible. Resized fonts and sprites with bad transparency issues, all with inconsistent resolutions - it looks like a glitchy N64 emulator, or worse.

And to think some people are going to say this is better than the original because at least some -parts- of it are running in HD... *barf*
http://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/ ... 0937989014

You can choose between new/old UI, blurred/less blurred sprites, redone/original terrain graphics allegedly. If the configuration is as flexible as we hope than graphics disparities shouldn't be an issue.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

the game is still running at higher resolutions, even the old UI graphics will look horrible. Having the original image files there doesn't do anything for the transparency issue either. And I doubt the problem will be alleviated by turning the resolution down to 640x480 (if there even is such an option).

All this nonsense is why I play console originals whenever I can.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I haven't watched the videos, is this transparency issue an obvious problem?
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

It's more than obvious enough for me. But some people may simply not see it, or even care. Which is of course totally OK, but it's a shame when those people end up actually doing the ports.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Edit: their making great progress towards fixing the issues.

1) The game upscales 720p video content to the specified output resolution using a blurry upscaler instead of increasing the internal rendering resolution to match the users selected output resolution (mitigating the need for an upscaler). This introduces additional blur to the graphics making them excessively blurry for those sensitive to blurring and looks bad compared to how the visual assets are meant to look. An alternative possibility of why there is more blur than there should be is available here.
2) The game can crash if you disconnect a gamepad during gameplay.
3) The "Lift" command is buggy and prone to lifting up characters that aren't adjacent to the person doing the lifting, typically this will lead to a game crash. More information here. Apparantly only affects new UI.
4) Shadow rendering seems to be entirely handled by the CPU.

And possibly other issues.
Last edited by franpa on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

The game is in a seemingly reasonable shape now that they've released 2 patches. I'd strongly recommend using the classic UI instead of the new UI though. It seems the new UI wasn't well tested.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote: 4) Shadow rendering seems to be entirely handled by the CPU.
I would fully expect that for a game with code of this vintage. I would expect MUCH of what a modern project would do with a graphics accelerator to be done on-processor in the game, because the code base goes back to the dawn of the century.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

When you consider how much I still have to play the sequels, I've burnt enough of my life on D1. You could say I'm also done with D2, but I never went past LoC prinny baal, extremely far from being able to pull true endgame (i.e. PBP-boosted LoC UPB).
Hell, don't even have good gear on my d2 save. Just a handful of l9999 nekos and halfassed transmogrified units.
D3's stuck in limbo due to needing to restart, and D4 also stopped mid-sardine due to that. Dd2 is still packaged for fuck's sake.

plus i don't do the whole pc master race thing so i couldn't care less, dood
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:When you consider how much I still have to play the sequels, I've burnt enough of my life on D1. You could say I'm also done with D2, but I never went past LoC prinny baal, extremely far from being able to pull true endgame (i.e. PBP-boosted LoC UPB).
Hell, don't even have good gear on my d2 save. Just a handful of l9999 nekos and halfassed transmogrified units.
D3's stuck in limbo due to needing to restart, and D4 also stopped mid-sardine due to that. Dd2 is still packaged for fuck's sake.

plus i don't do the whole pc master race thing so i couldn't care less, dood
Heh, I've had D4 for ages and haven't really started the game yet. I'm thinking that I shouldn't even consider getting D5 any time soon because of it.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Apparently the PC Port is very crash happy in the late game when you start dealing massive amounts of damage.
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

Since it is a PC port and on steam, they can update the game via patches to fix bugs and glitches just like they did couple of weeks ago. The game is running smooth now however, there are still "some" complaints regarding the game getting crashed.

I do think the released was rushed as :

1.) No multiplayer unlike in AoD. (It would be fun if they released an online multiplayer since its on steam.)
2.) You still can't edit the skill position / order.
3.) No Plenair / Adell / Zetta / Rozalin unlockable characters in post game. (Unlike in DS)

The game changes states that it contains ALL contents from AoD, however it doesn't. The only good part of the PC port is that it has nice UI and graphics (which is expected) and having achievements / badges on steam.

Note that D1 is just the start, there are upcoming NIS games on PC port such as Phantom brave. :)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Caveat - Phantom Brave has the worst postgame building of the entire series.

Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to
- get rid of the bonus gauge
- completely cripple item acquisition mechanics and
- obfuscate transmogrifying mechanics behind a post-game only item ?

I still have nightmares involving my last good Bottlemail failing to steal that fucking level 9999 egg and wasting 4 hours of rather stressful playtime due to it.

Phantom/Makai Kingdom was so much more fun in every aspect.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Jayce wrote:Since it is a PC port and on steam, they can update the game via patches to fix bugs and glitches just like they did couple of weeks ago. The game is running smooth now however, there are still "some" complaints regarding the game getting crashed.

I do think the released was rushed as :

1.) No multiplayer unlike in AoD. (It would be fun if they released an online multiplayer since its on steam.)
2.) You still can't edit the skill position / order.
3.) No Plenair / Adell / Zetta / Rozalin unlockable characters in post game. (Unlike in DS)

The game changes states that it contains ALL contents from AoD, however it doesn't. The only good part of the PC port is that it has nice UI and graphics (which is expected) and having achievements / badges on steam.

Note that D1 is just the start, there are upcoming NIS games on PC port such as Phantom brave. :)
They've been "fixing" bugs and introducing major bugs every patch they release. Currently the game arbitrarily enters Borderless Fullscreen when entering battles and switches back to proper Fullscreen outside of battle... apparently didn't used to do this so what the hell did they do? The game still has FPS issues for various skills and abilities making them look dumb, the very late game is still prone to crashing because they have some buffer that arbitrarily stores the digits of damage values or something to this effect and when it overflows it crashes the game. In the late game you (and enemies) have lots of abilities that spawn damage values containing lots of digits making the crashing common.

The guy that was working on a graphics hack for the game to fix the various video rendering issues is probably going to give up on the game as they either break his fixes for no reason, introduce more video rendering issues or just change how things are done for no reason. Surely it can't be THAT hard for the developers to get the graphics engine right and then just leave it the fuck alone? Virtually no other game on the market messes with the graphics engine this much or has this many issues.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Slightly OT perhaps: What's the difference between proper fullscreen and borderless fullscreen?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Agozer wrote:Slightly OT perhaps: What's the difference between proper fullscreen and borderless fullscreen?
Proper Fullscreen = Exclusive display mode

Borderless Fullscreen is tainted by the Windows DWM and its abysmal Vsync code, Exclusive Fullscreen Display Mode is not tainted by the DWM (Yet). Edit: Also what Gil_Hamilton said below.
Last edited by franpa on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Borderless fullscreen is still a window. Just one drawn the same size as the screen.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote: The guy that was working on a graphics hack for the game to fix the various video rendering issues is probably going to give up on the game as they either break his fixes for no reason, introduce more video rendering issues or just change how things are done for no reason. Surely it can't be THAT hard for the developers to get the graphics engine right and then just leave it the fuck alone? Virtually no other game on the market messes with the graphics engine this much or has this many issues.
Virtually no other game on the market is built on a foundation of PS2 code that was never intended to be portable and is probably pretty poorly documented on top of it.

That said, a DS emulator and ROM image would probably have been a wiser move.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

It doesn't help that it says "Includes all content from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness" on the Store Page yet it does NOT contain all the content from that version of the game. Also it seems to be a port of the PSP version of the game iirc? The DS version has the same name and more bonus content.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote:It doesn't help that it says "Includes all content from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness" on the Store Page yet it does NOT contain all the content from that version of the game. Also it seems to be a port of the PSP version of the game iirc? The DS version has the same name and more bonus content.
I said DS version because it is the better-emulated platform, actually.

I'm not sure what content was added in which version, but yeah, claiming content you didn't include is a bit shifty.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
franpa wrote:It doesn't help that it says "Includes all content from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness" on the Store Page yet it does NOT contain all the content from that version of the game. Also it seems to be a port of the PSP version of the game iirc? The DS version has the same name and more bonus content.
I said DS version because it is the better-emulated platform, actually.

I'm not sure what content was added in which version, but yeah, claiming content you didn't include is a bit shifty.
iirc the PSP version redoes all of Etna's dialog with a new vocal actress where as in the DS game only the new dialog specific to the new Etna mode is performed by the new actress and the original game content used the original dialog assets (which apparently are superior sounding to the new voice actress's work).

Anyways, I'm just curious how this is possible: In their latest stable patch they mention they "Fixed an issue that was causing the game to go into windowed mode when selecting Human characters from the base panel." and in the latest beta update they say they fixed "Summoning units when in battle or voting should now no longer force the game to run in windowed mode."

How could you accidentally make the game switch display mode for such actions? I don't recall any emulators switching display mode depending on game context...
Last edited by franpa on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

My first guess is it is writing garbage somewhere. Somewhere invisible in other ports that winds up being in the graphics routines on this port. God knows it wouldn't be the first game with out of bounds memory writes. And we know from the high-damage crashes it has, shall we say, less than stellar memory management.

Also: Bahahaha mismatched voices.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

franpa wrote: "Fixed an issue that was causing the game to go into windowed mode when selecting Human characters from the base panel." and in the latest beta update they say they fixed "Summoning units when in battle or voting should now no longer force the game to run in windowed mode."
That is hilarious. PC gaming, ladies and gentlemen.