ZSNES issue if XBONE controller plugged in

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

servantrider

ZSNES issue if XBONE controller plugged in

Post by servantrider »

I used to use a wired XBOX 360 controller with the emulator, but it recently stopped working so I bought an XBOX One USB controller to replace it. It works fine for the other emulators I use (VirtuaNES, Fusion, ePSXe), and the controller is detected fine and configured without issue. However, when I try to use it with ZSNES the mouse becomes unresponsive inside the emulator and stuck in the upper left corner of the window.

Minimizing ZSNES allows the mouse to function normally, but if I return to the program the mouse is still stuck.

Any ideas on what I can do to further troubleshoot and/or fix this issue?
Kiromitsu

Re: ZSNES issue if XBONE controller plugged in

Post by Kiromitsu »

I have been meddling with this problem all day today. Almost went as far as reinstalling windows before one of my kids unplugged the controller by mistake and everything started working again. Looks like we will be stuck with keyboard controls for a bit...
zRexx

Mouse not working when Xinput is activated

Post by zRexx »

I finally got a micro-usb cable today, to make my XB1 controller work as a PC joypad. Thing is, whenever I launch ZSNES with my controller plugged in, it won't read my mouse movements. When I unplug my controller, the mouse works fine. What's happening and how do I fix this?

I have to navigate the menus, input my controls, and load the ROM somehow, so I'll need my mouse to work while the controller is plugged in. Unless the mouse itself isn't needed and I can just use the controller for the menus, which I doubt.
zRexx

Post by zRexx »

I've had the exact same issue too. Can someone please find a fix?

I cannot play an SNES game on the keyboard, it's just too awkward.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Mouse not working when Xinput is activated

Post by odditude »

you can use a keyboard or a controller to navigate the menus - just make sure "ESC to Game Menu" and "Ctrl GUI w/Gpad1" are checked in Misc -> GUI Opts. the former option makes sure you don't ESC back to an unexpanded menu from in-game, which you can't navigate without a mouse.

edit: merged similar topics
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
zRexx

Post by zRexx »

odditude wrote:you can use a keyboard or a controller to navigate the menus - just make sure "ESC to Game Menu" and "Ctrl GUI w/Gpad1" are checked in Misc -> GUI Opts. the former option makes sure you don't ESC back to an unexpanded menu from in-game, which you can't navigate without a mouse.

I did as you said. Now I'm having another issue. ZSNES won't read my Xbox One controller at all now. Pretends like it doesn't exist.

It's not the controller or its connection with the computer. I tested it with other emulators and it still works fine. What's ZSNES's problem with Xinput?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

zRexx wrote:
odditude wrote:you can use a keyboard or a controller to navigate the menus - just make sure "ESC to Game Menu" and "Ctrl GUI w/Gpad1" are checked in Misc -> GUI Opts. the former option makes sure you don't ESC back to an unexpanded menu from in-game, which you can't navigate without a mouse.

I did as you said. Now I'm having another issue. ZSNES won't read my Xbox One controller at all now. Pretends like it doesn't exist.

It's not the controller or its connection with the computer. I tested it with other emulators and it still works fine. What's ZSNES's problem with Xinput?
Maybe that the last release of ZSNES was before XInput existed?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
zRexx

Post by zRexx »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
zRexx wrote:

I doubt it. A friend recommended me getting an Xbone controller for emulator use, since those generic third-party controllers are ridiculously fragile. So I asked him about whether it works on ZSNES, he confirmed it does. He never experienced an issue like this either, when I went to ask him for help.

It's clearly a bug or something. If it works for him, it should work for me.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

zRexx wrote:It's clearly a bug or something. If it works for him, it should work for me.
is your friend using the same version of Windows with all of the same input devices?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

zRexx wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
zRexx wrote:

I doubt it. A friend recommended me getting an Xbone controller for emulator use, since those generic third-party controllers are ridiculously fragile. So I asked him about whether it works on ZSNES, he confirmed it does. He never experienced an issue like this either, when I went to ask him for help.

It's clearly a bug or something. If it works for him, it should work for me.
Behold the miracle of the intermittent error.

Also, ZSNES has longstanding input issues due to it's vintage, particularly on controllers with >2 analog axes. Even proper, standards-compliant gamepads. Throw in some crazy proprietary interface that the emulator doesn't know how to speak and who KNOWS what can happen.

BTW, there's not really such a thing as first-party controllers for an IBM clone. Hell, the actual SYSTEM isn't even first-party hardware(as the phrase "IBM clone" implies). That said, all my standards-compliant recommended gamepads are out of production, as are the few proprietary XInput devices I'd care to use.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
illnutty

Post by illnutty »

Hi All:

I'm on Windows 10 and also having the same exact issue with ZSNES and a XB1 controller wired and with using the wireless PC adapter. I bought the adapter specifically for emu gaming using the wireless controller so my kids don't trip over the wire. The controller is recognized and responsive in other areas of Windows and Steam games but no dice in ZSNES. I'm a little surprised this issue isn't all over the net. Not much info about it out there. Anyways +1 to the victims list. I'm open to any suggestions lol.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

illnutty wrote:I'm a little surprised this issue isn't all over the net.
Spoilers: ZSNES is dead, or at least in a deep coma.
I'm open to any suggestions lol.
snes9x
higan
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads