Kirby games refuse to run with multiple controllers

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

aidalgol

Kirby games refuse to run with multiple controllers

Post by aidalgol »

I recently got two Xbox 360 gamepads. I have successfully used them both simultaneously with some games (not SNES games, so not in ZSNES), and I can configure them both in ZSNES, but when I try run Kirby's DreamLand 3 or Kirby's Fun Pak, I get the message (from the game, not ZSNES) "Please note, If you are using the mouse, superscope, or multiplayer adapter, please switch to controller. Thanks!" I can run the games with just one gamepad plugged in, but with even just two it refuses to run.

The only mention of this problem I found is on this thread from last year: http://www.letsplayforum.de/index.php?p ... adID=10308

Is ZSNES presenting multiple gamepads as hardware unsupported by the games, instead of just two SNES gamepads (as it does when only the keyboard is used)?

Regards,
Aidan Gauland
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Kirby games refuse to run with multiple controllers

Post by odditude »

make sure no controllers are defined for p3-p5.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

aidalgol wrote: Is ZSNES presenting multiple gamepads as hardware unsupported by the games, instead of just two SNES gamepads
Bingo. If more than two SNES controllers are mapped, it presents it as an SNES with a MultiTap attached.

Certain coprocessor games are not allowed to power up their coprocessor if certain accessories are connected due to the combined power draw exceeding the SNES power supply's rated maximum.
Instead, they display that error message telling you to disconnect the unsupported peripherals.

ZSNES, unfortunately, makes it VERY easy to have a MultiTap active and not realize it.
(as it does when only the keyboard is used)?
No, that's a different issue. Multiple players on the keyboard doesn't work well because keyboards are not intended as gaming devices and are not designed to have large numbers of keys pressed down at once. The glitches you see are ENTIRELY because your key presses never make it to the system. It's not the fault of ZSNES, the emulated SNES, or the game. Just the keyboard.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
aidalgol

Post by aidalgol »

odditude wrote:make sure no controllers are defined for p3-p5.
Ah, I must've accidentally set enabled a controller for one of those. Disabling all controllers except for P1 and P2 makes the game happpy. :)