HTC Evo 3D

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

HTC Evo 3D

Post by adventure_of_link »

So far, I like the phone. I can't see 3D effects worth a shit, but at least it has a gig of ROM and RAM, AND a dual-core CPU -- can't beat it. :) not to mention it's a little bit bigger than the Evo 4G.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for:

* Game controllers (except for Wii and PS3 jury-rigs; those need root and a custom ROM IIRC, due to some bug in the HTC Sense software)
* Custom ROMs in general for the 3D, should I wish to actually root the darn thing
* the 4000mAh battery (I saw an ad for one on some Evo 3D forum and was wondering if it's OEM or aftermarket bullshit; if the former, are there any reliable sources to pick it up?)

Cheers :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Re: HTC Evo 3D

Post by sweener2001 »

why wouldn't you want to root it? htc phones are supposed to be root friendly, although i don't know if the evo 3d ships with an unencrypted whatever it is that needs to be unencrypted.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Root your phone. It's so easy to do and you'll get much more functionality out of it.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Usually helps performance and battery life, too. I think myy drroid 2's battery life has more than doubled.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Awesome. So I can enjoy more battery life after rooting. I'll get on it ASAP.

After rooting, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to tweak things to make the battery last longer, which apps to take out, and ROM managers as well as custom ROMs? Thanks guys :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I should've been more specific. Just rooting doesn't improve battery life, but modifications it allows you to do can improve battery life.

Anyway, some basic tweaks you can do if there aren't any custom firmwares for your phone are removing certain apps that it doesn't normally allow you to uninstall. The way I do that is under /system, I create a directory called appbackup or appremove or something like that, doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't create a conflict, and move .apks from /system/app in to there. Solves some of the "Random programs starting in the background." issues. You'll also want a task manager of some sort, but disable any kind of automatic functions. Just use it manually if you find things going kind of crappy. I've had issues with them automatically killing stuff I was using with those functions on. ConnectBot is good for getting a local terminal on your phone. ps and kill are useful for stubborn crashed apps where "task killing" doesn't really help (I assume the difference is a "task" is probably a VM object of some sort, whereas the actual process is an OS object, or something?).
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

OK. Phone is now S-OFF'd AND rooted; how do I test it out (besides installing a custom ROM :P)

and thanks Paulguy for the explanation :)
NSRT here.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

If you can use ADB shell, you can try that. If the prompt is a # that means it's a root prompt and you're rooted. If it's a $, try typing in su and it should become a #. There will probably be a program asking for permission when you do this. This will also work from ConnectBot's "local" connection.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

You can also download Titanium Backup and run it, since it needs root access. It's a great app for backing up apps.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i believe that cyanogen mod will be the way to go as far as custom roms are concerned. i don't know if they support the evo 3d already, or how long it would take them to support it, though.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

sweener2001 wrote:i believe that cyanogen mod will be the way to go as far as custom roms are concerned. i don't know if they support the evo 3d already, or how long it would take them to support it, though.
Already looked into it; highest they support is the Evo 4G, nothing atm on the 3D. I'll definately keep my eye out on that CFW, thanks.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these ROMs: http://androidroms.4blogs.com.ar/new-ht ... -rom-list/

EDIT: For some odd reason my phone likes to randomly restart without warning every once in awhile now.. it never used to do this :?
NSRT here.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

in case this comes in handy for you... http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

**bumpage**

http://www.talkandroid.com/59603-cyanog ... s-weekend/

turns out an early alpha of Cyanogen Mod has been released for the HTC Evo 3D and Sensation.. :D so can't wait for this to be officialized and stable. Wii Remote and PS3 controller support on evo 3D = sweetness!!!
Last edited by adventure_of_link on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT: see kode54's post below.
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

What do you mean Wii on Evo 3D?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

kode54 wrote:What do you mean Wii on Evo 3D?
Shit, I meant to say Wii REMOTES, in addition to PS3 controller support on the Evo 3D... whoops.
NSRT here.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

I think any rooted Android phones can use Wiimotes or DS3 controllers.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Nothing says awesome like playing a video game with a controller larger than your screen.

:roll:
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

badinsults wrote:Nothing says awesome like playing a video game with a controller larger than your screen.

dude, consider that multi-touch has limitations (which makes it near difficult to play most platformers)

consider that I have big hands in general

profit

also, if you're not going to be helpful, please stay out of the thread.

(ya know I like and respect you, but seriously, what the F man?)
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:
badinsults wrote:Nothing says awesome like playing a video game with a controller larger than your screen.

dude, consider that multi-touch has limitations (which makes it near difficult to play most platformers)

profit

So... what are you holding your phone with while you wrap these large hands around a Wiimote? And why are you carrying a Wiimote around with you anyways?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

you mean like the duke?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

adventure_of_link wrote:

profit

I'll call out things that are illogical regardless of who it is.

I mean, how do you hold your phone and the controller at the same time?

Why not just play the game on a TV or computer?
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

somehow i could envision someone hangs their phone on wall like a clock ...
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

If you are using an HTC device with any stock firmware, read this right now.

Go. Read it. Now.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

htc responded right away, and OTA updates have been pushed.

linkage

it took them about three weeks, but they did it. it should be mentioned that this was only for people using select htc phones on stock firmware. it has nothing to do with android in general, as the flaw was in htc's modifications.

anyway, happy first post. you've come across as ignorant and apparently a fanboy.