Moving case usb/audio slot around.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

kieran_
Mugwump

Moving case usb/audio slot around.

Post by kieran_ »

Hey,

***EDIT: PIC: http://imgur.com/RSAOY

[22:17] <@ASIANBABY> so i ripped off the top of my case and exposed the top, to allow air to come out of the roof fan, which i just added
[22:17] <@ASIANBABY> in that case, the extra usb/firewire/audio sockets are on the top
[22:17] <@ASIANBABY> you can see the PCB board of that on top of that shitty card reader
[22:17] <@neoblaze> needs more dicks
[22:17] <@ASIANBABY> anyhow, i was thinking of initially putting the PCB board just into the 5/12 slot, straight on the metal 3.5" adaptor.
[22:18] <@ASIANBABY> but would that short circuit?
[22:18] <@ASIANBABY> and fry everything?
[22:18] <@ASIANBABY> i don't want that shitty card reader, but i'm thinking of just attaching the usb and audio bracket to it
[22:19] <@ASIANBABY> cos there is a 3/12 inch bracket inside there holding that reader

So,
1. If I put that exposed PCB board, straight onto the metal of the tray, will it fry when I turn on the rig?
2. What is the easiest way to get it in there? Atm, i'm thinking of just screwing or glueing it on top of that card reader. I don't care about aesthetics as you can see. Can I put something underneath it between the case and the ports?
3. ZBOARDDDDDDDDDD.
Last edited by kieran_ on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Moving case usb/audio slot around.

Post by odditude »

yeah, you need to insulate the bottom of the pcb, or you're going to short a whole bunch of things. why not just get a 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter?

plus, those two top fans are exhausts, right? that case looks like it's designed for the classic "in the front, out the back/top" airflow.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

*edit* Nothing to see here.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

odditude wrote:yeah, you need to insulate the bottom of the pcb, or you're going to short a whole bunch of things. why not just get a 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter?

plus, those two top fans are exhausts, right? that case looks like it's designed for the classic "in the front, out the back/top" airflow.
What is a good way to insulate the bottom of the PCB board? I'm really clueless about this stuff.

There is a 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter already in the case, which I'm sticking that card reader into, however the 3.5" adapter that came with the case is metal as well, which is my issue. I'm thinking now of just ripping the card reader apart and putting the pcb board in there.

Those fans on the top are exhausts, and I have them set as such. I realise now that I referred to them as intake fans in the first post. There were pretty much three layers of grills on top of the fan in the original configuration of the case. I could feel hardly any air escaping. It is very free now.

PS: Thank you for reminding me that"PCB board" was the phrase I needed, rather than "innards". I'm going to edit the first post now.
odditude

Post by odditude »

so that card reader doesn't have any plastic on the bottom..?

cheap + ghetto fix would be to put down some electrical tape on the bottom of the bay adapter where the pcb would come in contact (ie NOT sticky side against the pcb). there are likely much better ways to do it, but i didn't have any coffee yet.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Oh the card reader is plastic all round, and I'll most likely attach the pcb to the top of it, or rip out the innards of the card reader (which I think is dead anyway) and insert the pcb. However, I was wondering about just putting the pcb in the tray by itself without having that card reader at all. I think that I have a good idea of how to proceed from here anyway. Thank you for all your help.
odditude

Post by odditude »

like i said - need coffee.

anyway, it looks like the top of the case was plastic - can you salvage the place it was mounted from and use that as a framework for your idea?
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

That was my original idea. I thought that I'd be able to pop out the frame that held the i/o, but it was not removable without cutting it out of the case. I don't want to do that, as I want to leave my options open.
What kind of coffee will you have, and what brewing method?
odditude

Post by odditude »

free coffee at work, flavia machine - "barista blend" fka "intense dark roast"

it's much better than one would expect, and i can't argue with free.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

odditude wrote:free coffee at work, flavia machine - "barista blend" fka "intense dark roast"

it's much better than one would expect, and i can't argue with free.
:D