Validating ROMs, iso's, General Retropie questions

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

sweener2001
Inmate

Validating ROMs, iso's, General Retropie questions

Post by sweener2001 »

The other topic got closed some six years ago due to a hilarious need to stay on topic at all costs long after the topic had been exhausted. I so wanted to necro it.

I'm going to be getting a raspberry pi 3 for some retro gaming action on the TV. I would like to validate my games before loading them because I only want to load once.

I've seen a couple sites like dat-o-matic, but does it include a tool to batch verify?

Is there such a tool? Would I be wasting my time validating ROMs? Systems/emulators I'm going to be installing are NES, SNES, Genesis, GB(C), GBA, SCUMMVM, PSX, very possibly DOSBox. From what I've seen, PSP and N64 aren't quite up to snuff, which is a shame. I may add the Neo-Geo and maybe some other arcade games, but we'll see.

Do Retropie emulators handle soft-patching translations? Especially with the SNES, there are quite a few Japanese games I want to play. I've watched a few videos on set-up and how it works when it's all set up (one of the heathens preferred stretching the NES to 16:9), but none that I've watched have dived into the kind of nitty gritty I want to know.

I'll be using a "convertible" style case with heat sinks, but I don't plan on overclocking.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
sweener2001
Inmate

Re: Validating ROMs, iso's, General Retropie questions

Post by sweener2001 »

I ended up not bothering with validation.

Soft patching doesn't work as far as I can tell.

But I have RetroPie set up with a Sixaxis paired over bluetooth. It's quite nice overall. The Pi is a bit weak, but it goes up to PSX and performs great there. I don't want to bother with any overclocking or anything, so I'll be staying away from N64 and PSP.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]