play games smooth as possible

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ark80

play games smooth as possible

Post by ark80 »

Hi everybody.

I use Zsnes 1.51 a lot of years ago. I just want to play games with the smoothest transition. I have an 3,5 ghz AMD micro with 8 gb of RAM. My graphics card is a Radeon 470 with 4 gb of RAM.

But when I use games with Zsnes play good, but not best. With the resources I have should play smoothly, that's why I'm ask for help.

Thank you very much!
joe_devore
Regular

Re: play games smooth as possible

Post by joe_devore »

STRANGE.... ZSNES is mostly ASM so it FAST!

I was able to run ZSNES FULL 60fps on a
- Intel Pentium 3 866Mhz
- 512MB PC133 SDRAM
- 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 SE AGP 4x/8x
- Windows 2000
back 2006-2011...

Are you on a desktop or laptop.??!
are ALL of your drivers up to DATE?!
(PC Specs)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO
GPU: nVidia/EVGA RTX 3070 Ti 8GB
GFX Drivers: Nvidia v551.76
RAM: 32GB, 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4

Favorite Emulators:
PS2(x64): PCSX2 (Downloads)
SNES : ZSNES
N64 : Project64

ZSNES:
v1.51 (FuSoYa's 8MB fix R2)(Compiled Myself)
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

ZSNESW still uses DirectDraw, which is no longer hardware accelerated as of Windows 10. So that "FAST" 320x240 surface is being software scaled to 640x480 or larger before it's being displayed on the desktop of any modern system. Not exactly the fastest thing you can do.

If you want smooth now, go for Snes9x. Latest version. Switch to its OpenGL output method. Enjoy way better emulation while at it, at the "expense" of "losing" the "nifty" custom GUI of ZSNES.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

kode54 wrote: at the "expense" of "losing" the "nifty" custom GUI of ZSNES.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

or Higan

https://sites.google.com/site/bearoso/ <-- SNES9x Main download as of now...
http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/?C=M;O=D <-- Latest test build was 5 DAYS AGO lol ;)
https://byuu.org/emulation/higan/

Pagefault changed/converted it from DirectDraw to OpenGL
on his test build.. he just never bothered to release to us.. :(

I guess for now I have kinda moved to Higan... or at least I am trying it out...
;) lol
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Someone also made a RetroArch frontend out of ZSNESW, but they didn't update the display interface to anything newer than DirectDraw, so it has the same problem.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

I imported all of my active SNES ROMs to Higan..
then I went through and opened up all of the archived Genesis ROMs or favorites at least..
but most of those Genesis files were .bin.. and for whatever reason.. Higan's import tool icarus.exe
as of yet NOT programed to open/import from .bin... so I changed the bin to a .smd... which it did like..
but half failed to run after that... so I checked the ROM files using uCON64 a ROM TOOL similar top Nach's NSRT
but candles a whole bunch of pre CD console systems... the files I had.. still had DUMPER headers AND were interleaved...
so I removed the header.. then converted them to bin which de-interleaved them.. then renamed the files .smd again! lol
then they imported right... and were working.. ALL except .. Wonder Boy In Monster World.. it loads to the main menu but
freezes once start IS pressed... =/ :roll: :wink: :cry:

then again.. Higan has only one ROM db and that is for SNES games.. so its likely the import failing of Genesis games was do to not having a db for it.. plus only a cheat db exists for SNES as well.. or so it seems...

I also found an multi-system emu called BizHawk its still early it works by borrowing/forking other emu cores..
- SNES = SNES9x/BSNES.
- Genesis = unknown.
- N64 = unknown.
- PS1 = unknown.
etc... and it emu a LOT of systems..
WOW BUT it sucks no ROM browser..
so its load one file at a time...
though they will get added to recent used list..
which can be locked or cleared.. hmm .. O_o

Its PS1 emu is the most annoying at this point.. no clue on the what core is used OR anything else..
Nothing at all for emu settings.. gfx, audio, etc... OR memory-card setup..
memory card files are auto generated for each PS1 game EXCEPT! its a combined file.. that is memory-card port 1 & 2 are
combined into a single 256KB file.. MEH!! I am NOT happy about that.. because it means I cannot simple copy my memory-cards from ePSXe which generates one file per port per game! if that setting is enabled..

ooh hoho the memory card tool I have MemcardRex.exe seems to be able to read the memory card file generated by
BizHawk BUT only one memory card length.. so it can't see or edit card 2 in that file.. I will fing out in a sec if it works at all.. when I save and run it... ooh and labeled at the bottom in the status bar it says OctoCore...?? a PS1 emu? or some kind of multi system emu? idk at this sec..
idk if it worked or not.. because... BizHawk would not write memcard data to file for some reason..
not on unload or on shutdown of the emu... mEH =/
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
BFeely
Rookie

Post by BFeely »

As already mentioned ZSNES on Windows uses DirectDraw. You can refer to the stickied post at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64471 for more information.
Any Windows version from Vista onwards emulates DirectDraw in what I assume to be software, resulting in a less than ideal experience. In addition, Windows 8 and 8.1 have a bug where DirectDraw in low color modes (8 and 16 bit) run at a low framerate.
The stickied post suggests using DXGL (disclosure: I am the developer) or dgVoodoo2. Both these programs emulate DirectDraw using modern hardware accelerated graphics APIs (DXGL uses OpenGL and dgVoodoo2 uses Direct3D11), and on Windows 8.x they fix the severe framerate issues associated with low color modes on those operating systems.

Download links:
DXGL: https://www.dxgl.info/
dgVoodoo2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/