Cyrylic support please

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

cocobanana
Rookie

Cyrylic support please

Post by cocobanana »

Hi,

my folders are written with cyrylic characters, when I want to load a rom, the folders are shown as "???? ?????".

Please add support for cyrylic characters.

Thanks,
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Cyrylic support please

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

cocobanana wrote:Hi,

my folders are written with cyrylic characters, when I want to load a rom, the folders are shown as "???? ?????".

Please add support for cyrylic characters.

Thanks,
Please use ASCII like you're supposed to.

Thanks,
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
cocobanana
Rookie

Post by cocobanana »

How do you mean? Should I set up something to Zsnes?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Your file names should only contain A-Z and a-z and 0-9. Anything else is unnatural.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
cocobanana
Rookie

Post by cocobanana »

Theres cyrilic letters in ASCII. Is there any way to make Windows use cyrilic ASCII letters on keyboard?
Or Alt+numbers is the only way?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

cocobanana wrote:Theres cyrilic letters in ASCII. Is there any way to make Windows use cyrilic ASCII letters on keyboard?
Or Alt+numbers is the only way?
There very much are NOT cyrillic letters in ASCII.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Perhaps he is thinking of ANSI, which is very much language dependent. And ZSNES only has an ASCII font, not an ANSI font. Even if it supported Unicode paths, it would need a full Unicode font to display the characters in the dialogs.
cocobanana
Rookie

Post by cocobanana »

ASCII - American Standard Code For International Intercharge, it has latin characters, cyrilic characters, numbers, symbols, doesn't has japanese, chinese, hindu and other similar characters.

complete ascii table (in russian):
http://www.industrialnets.ru/files/misc/ascii.pdf

(the cyrilic ascii characters are on the last page of the pdf, it says ibm-dos)

Im not sure which one Windows used it early days, because it wasnt supporting for other keyboards except english latin, somewhere from XP- cyrilic and other latin characters (and keyboards) are supported, from Windows 7 it uses unicode or utf (I'm not sure which one but it supports asian characters natively). While Windows supports ASCII, I think it doesnt uses it as default, but instead, it uses something else.

Ascii characters can be used by holding Alt+typing numbers (ex. 123).

I was thinking to type cyrilic ascii characters to my folders (by Alt+numbers), but it would be better if I could somehow set windows keyboard for it.

Windows notepad uses ANSI as default, but it supports unicode & utf-8.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Characters outside the range of 32-127 are not strictly ASCII. Unlike 0-31 and 128-255, 32-127 do not change significantly between code pages.

Unicode would be a preferred option, but is, again, highly unlikely to be supported in a custom GUI that hasn't been updated in over a decade.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

cocobanana wrote:ASCII - American Standard Code For International Intercharge, it has latin characters, cyrilic characters, numbers, symbols, doesn't has japanese, chinese, hindu and other similar characters.

complete ascii table (in russian):
http://www.industrialnets.ru/files/misc/ascii.pdf

(the cyrilic ascii characters are on the last page of the pdf, it says ibm-dos)
ASCII is a seven-bit encoding. It stops at character 127.

There were several "extensions" to ASCII made by various computer manufacturers, because an extra 128 characters was very useful and everyone's microcomputers were parsing a full byte anyways. But that eighth bit, and thus all characters above 127, have no meaning in ASCII. Any character past 127 is not ASCII. A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and some punctuation.

The extra 128 characters in that PARTICULAR list come from code page 866, which first appeared in Russian MS-DOS 4.01, released in 1990.
That set is itself a variant of the default IBM PC character set, known as code page 437. Neither set is ASCII, though code page 437 has become a de facto standard due to the popularity of the IBM PC and descendants.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads