Option for Changing the Color Depth (Bit Depth) in ZSNES

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

DeriLoko3
Rookie

Option for Changing the Color Depth (Bit Depth) in ZSNES

Post by DeriLoko3 »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System uses the 15-bit depth. So for ZSNES, I cannot find the option to change the color depth into a different color depth, in order to get closer to the real hardware.

https://s5.postimg.org/47rhryszb/ZSNES.png

In Options, I cannot find the option to change the color depth into a different color depth.

https://s5.postimg.org/lxt6czr4n/ZSNES_Options_0.pnghttps://s5.postimg.org/r982xp5hj/ZSNES_Options_1.png

In Video Config, I cannot find the option to change the color depth into a different color depth.

https://s5.postimg.org/v5letp5wn/ZSNES_ ... nfig_0.pnghttps://s5.postimg.org/5zkgmvk1z/ZSNES_ ... nfig_1.png

I cannot find the option to change the color depth into a different color depth in the Miscellaneous sections.

https://s5.postimg.org/cravp9qwn/ZSNES_Misc_0.pnghttps://s5.postimg.org/qkz8ebr7r/ZSNES_Misc_1.png

I use ZSNES (v1.52) (Build Date: June 11, 2015). That is r5311.

https://s5.postimg.org/sbi9g8gl3/ZSNES_About.png
Nintendo rules!
blackmyst
Zealot

Re: Option for Changing the Color Depth (Bit Depth) in ZSNES

Post by blackmyst »

What you want to do makes no sense, it will not get you "closer to real hardware" in any way shape or form. Besides, if you want accuracy... why on earth are you using Zsnes? It hasn't been updated for over 10 years and has many inaccuracies. Use Higan instead. It's the most accurate emulator out there.

But even Higan won't give you color depth options. Because, again, an option like that will have literally zero effect on accuracy.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
DeriLoko3
Rookie

Post by DeriLoko3 »

blackmyst wrote:What you want to do makes no sense, it will not get you "closer to real hardware" in any way shape or form. Besides, if you want accuracy... why on earth are you using Zsnes? It hasn't been updated for over 10 years and has many inaccuracies. Use Higan instead. It's the most accurate emulator out there.

But even Higan won't give you color depth options. Because, again, an option like that will have literally zero effect on accuracy.
Besides getting closer to the real hardware, I just wanted to change the color depth in ZSNES. That is all that I said.
Nintendo rules!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

To be clear, you can't select 15-bit color because your video card can't output 15-bit color. You aren't selecting the color depth of the emulation, but of the output.

You MIGHT can output 30-bit color(10/10/10 as opposed to the Super Nintendo's 555 color, and the conversion is trivial and lossless), but... yeah, good luck. That's a clusterfuck of semi-standards and special-casing and custom APIs, because apparently just selecting a new bit depth like when we went from 16-bit to 24-bit is TOO HARD.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
DeriLoko3
Rookie

Post by DeriLoko3 »

I do not want accuracy, in terms of emulation, in my case.
Nintendo rules!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

DeriLoko3 wrote:I do not want accuracy, in terms of emulation, in my case.
You don't want more accurate emulation, but you want to be closer to the real hardware? I'm not sure we know what you mean by "closer to the real hardware", then.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
DeriLoko3
Rookie

Post by DeriLoko3 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
You don't want more accurate emulation, but you want to be closer to the real hardware? I'm not sure we know what you mean by "closer to the real hardware", then.
When I said, "closer to the real hardware", I meant to have an emulator that meets the system requirements (or specs).
Nintendo rules!
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

And most modern video cards probably don't even support hardware rendering at 15 or 16bpp color depths. Modern Windows won't even let you reduce the desktop color depth directly.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

DeriLoko3 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
When I said, "closer to the real hardware", I meant to have an emulator that meets the system requirements (or specs).
You need new hardware. The bullet points you're looking at aren't things that PC hardware is capable of doing. And no mainstream PC hardware supports 15-bit color output. Since no video card supports it, no emulator can output it.

So like I said, 30-bit color is the closest you can get to the Super Nintendo's 15-bit color.

And it is, well, an odd point to focus on. Especially given you aren't concerned by emulation accuracy.
It is like putting magnesium wheels on a VW Bug to make it more like a real race car, without replacing the engine and transmission first.

Personally, I'd focus on actually running games right before I worried about matching physical IO with weird color depths(, resolutions, and refresh rates) or bitbanging controller IO through the parallel port(which would also more closely match the physical existence than a USB gamepad does).

Basically, I feel like you're putting the cart before the horse, and if there's a logic here, it isn't something I understand.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
DeriLoko3
Rookie

Post by DeriLoko3 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
DeriLoko3 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
You need new hardware. The bullet points you're looking at aren't things that PC hardware is capable of doing. And no mainstream PC hardware supports 15-bit color output. Since no video card supports it, no emulator can output it.

So like I said, 30-bit color is the closest you can get to the Super Nintendo's 15-bit color.

And it is, well, an odd point to focus on. Especially given you aren't concerned by emulation accuracy.
It is like putting magnesium wheels on a VW Bug to make it more like a real race car, without replacing the engine and transmission first.

Personally, I'd focus on actually running games right before I worried about matching physical IO with weird color depths(, resolutions, and refresh rates) or bitbanging controller IO through the parallel port(which would also more closely match the physical existence than a USB gamepad does).

Basically, I feel like you're putting the cart before the horse, and if there's a logic here, it isn't something I understand.
For me, I use a computer that can support an emulator for compatibility (not accuracy (maybe, zero accuracy)) reasons. For example, I have an 8-GB-RAM computer, and I use an emulator, ZSNES, to play the games in SNES that has a total of 256 KB of RAM.

And, I am not speaking about the video card. I am speaking about the emulator, ZSNES.
Nintendo rules!
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

what is it you think that zsnes is not doing that you want it to do..?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
DeriLoko3
Rookie

Post by DeriLoko3 »

odditude wrote:what is it you think that zsnes is not doing that you want it to do..?
Letting me change the color depth (bit depth) in the emulator, ZSNES, itself.

I know. The modern operating systems do not let me change the color depth.
Nintendo rules!
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

The emulator renders at 16bpp because that was the closest to the native video mode it originally supported. I think it also supports 15bpp, but I can't be too sure. I don't see why it matters all that much.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

I'm surprised to see people clinging to Zsnes after all these years. :shock:
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson