The ZSNES GUI

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ModeFox

The ZSNES GUI

Post by ModeFox »

This is pretty straightforward. The GUI for ZSNES is my all time favorite GUI for anything ever. I could possibly be obsessed with it.

I'm curious if anyone else feels this way or if anybody has found ZSNES themes for other things. I wish the GUI existed thematically on Retropie or other apps I use regularly. I even recently spotted it in the credits of Terminal Montage (YouTube) videos.
kode54
Zealot

Re: The ZSNES GUI

Post by kode54 »

Two things I know off-hand, that you may find when searching this forum, or not, depending on how well the search works:

1) Prior to becoming Higan, BSNES had an April Fools version called BZSNES, which had a fork of its Qt UI designed to mimic ZSNES, and also had some of its emulation accuracy turned off, allegedly. Dead in the water, one-off joke that went nowhere fast, and was never maintained, as far as I know.

2) There is a ZSNES-based RetroArch front-end somewhere on this forum, that lets you basically have almost complete control of the ZSNES UI and input binding system and such, only running any RetroArch core you think will work with it. Primarily designed to run the Snes9x or Higan cores, since those will produce the correct video resolution to match the UI. Dunno if this thing is still working, or actively developed. Maybe it's still live somewhere?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

kode54 wrote: 1) Prior to becoming Higan, BSNES had an April Fools version called BZSNES, which had a fork of its Qt UI designed to mimic ZSNES, and also had some of its emulation accuracy turned off, allegedly. Dead in the water, one-off joke that went nowhere fast, and was never maintained, as far as I know.
As I recall, the one and only emulation change was disabling the VRAM-write-outside-VBlank check. And you're right, it saw the single release and was never touched again.

It also wasn't a particularly GOOD imitation of the ZSNES interface, to my eternal dismay.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
ModeFox

Post by ModeFox »

kode54 wrote:
2) There is a ZSNES-based RetroArch front-end somewhere on this forum, that lets you basically have almost complete control of the ZSNES UI and input binding system and such, only running any RetroArch core you think will work with it.
Thanks for the reply. Would love to try and get this onto my Raspberry Pi, but searching these threads via "retroarch" verbiage is no good so far. Any idea when you bumped into that so that I can narrow my search?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Nope, looks like you get bupkiss for a ZSNESW frontend, because I didn't bookmark it, and I can't find it. I can only find myself mentioning it last year. Maybe it was really a false memory?
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Only thing I can think that's close is ZMZ, a libretro core running with a Zsnes GUI?
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5681
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Only thing I can think that's close is ZMZ, a libretro core running with a Zsnes GUI?
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5681
Pretty sure that's what he was thinking of.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

In other news, Snes9x 1.56 officially released today.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson

Post by 007 »

kode54 wrote:Two things I know off-hand, that you may find when searching this forum, or not, depending on how well the search works:

1) Prior to becoming Higan, BSNES had an April Fools version called BZSNES, which had a fork of its Qt UI designed to mimic ZSNES, and also had some of its emulation accuracy turned off, allegedly. Dead in the water, one-off joke that went nowhere fast, and was never maintained, as far as I know.

2) There is a ZSNES-based RetroArch front-end somewhere on this forum, that lets you basically have almost complete control of the ZSNES UI and input binding system and such, only running any RetroArch core you think will work with it. Primarily designed to run the Snes9x or Higan cores, since those will produce the correct video resolution to match the UI. Dunno if this thing is still working, or actively developed. Maybe it's still live somewhere?
Some people actually use bZSNES.

http://www.emutopia.com/index.php/emula ... 380-bzsnes
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

007 wrote:Some people actually use bZSNES.

http://www.emutopia.com/index.php/emula ... 380-bzsnes
People actually USE it? WTF?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads