Tetris Attack sound problems during Netplay

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Jon_12156

Tetris Attack sound problems during Netplay

Post by Jon_12156 »

The game in question: Tetris Attack

filename: Tetris Attack.smc
CRC32: 6C128210
Type: normal
Interleaved: no
Chksum: ok
Video: NTSC
Bank: LO
It's not the European version (E) and I'm in the USA where NTSC is standard.

I hope that is enough information about the rom. I would've used NSRT+Frontend, but AVG anti-virus told me it was a Trojan Horse and had me move it to the vault. I suppose it was a false positive, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Note: these 2 problems only occur during netplay.

From the in-game main menu. You may choose "OPTION," to get to the Sound test and the Music test. Each sound or song is numbered in hexadecimal (e.g. 14, 1E or D4)

Problem 1: Chain Fanfairs sticking ON
When you complete a chain of x4 or more, one of three fanfairs (sounds) are played. Quite often, but not always, a single sound channel or up to all three sound channels (channels 1, 4, and 5) used during the fanfair will stick on, and play until the end of the round, or until another fanfair begins to play. The stick can occur with any of the three fanfairs, but not any other sound in the game, that I know of.

Here are the sound test numbers of each fanfair so that you may easily test them:
Sound Test D9 - played after a x4 chain
Sound Test DA - played after a x5 chain
Sound Test DB - played after a x6 chain

I've tested each version between 1.337 and 1.42n. This problem occurs only during netplay using the following versions:
1.42n.

Problem 2: Pitch
If a version of ZSNES does not have the problem of fanfairs sticking ON, it has a different problem: The pitches of several notes played during music are just so wrong.

This can be illustrated quite easily if you listen to the following songs offline, and compare them with how they sound during netplay.
Music Test 1E - Bowser's music
Music Test 14 - Forest Stage music

Also, I don't believe the pitch imperfections are restricted to a certain sound channel.

The following versions have the pitch problem during netplay:

Each emulator has either one problem or the other, but not both.

I suppose the question is: in relation to sound during netplay, what changed between versions 1.36 and 1.40? I've tried changing all the sound settings in a few of the emulators, but I can't make either of these problems go away by doing so.

I'm just looking for a way to play online without either of those problems. The sounds and music in this game are just so fun to listen to. It's a shame having to mute the game. Please help me if you can. I'm out of ideas.

I'm not sure if this is a ROM problem or an emulator problem. It seems all the people I play with online have the same problems, so I don't think system specs will matter, but here mine are:

Gateway DX4831
Intel Core i5 CPU 3.20 GHz
4 GB of RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I wasn't sure whether to post this here in Bug Reports or in the Netplay 101 section... Moderators, feel free to move it if it should be moved.

Thanks to anyone that has some input!
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Re: Tetris Attack sound problems during Netplay

Post by adventure_of_link »

topic's fine where it is.

As long as you get NSRT+Frontend from a trusted source (such as the link in my sig) you should be fine, and it should be treated as a false positive. (what was the name of the supposed Virus that NSRT+Frontend had, anyway? :?)

and yes, you do indeed have the USA version of Tetris Attack.

EDIT: You may want to give this FAQ posting a read... http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9269 (not that you've posted about netplay being back, it's got some explanations on why the sound is like it is...)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

The current version of ZSNES is 1.51.
Bug reports are not required, desired, or considered for older versions. On account of them being older versions.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Jon_12156

Post by Jon_12156 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:The current version of ZSNES is 1.51.
Bug reports are not required, desired, or considered for older versions. On account of them being older versions.
That's very understandable. I apologize, perhaps I have posted this in the wrong section after all. My goal is to be able to netplay without either of those problems. My question to anyone is how I might achieve this goal. Is there perhaps some setting I've missed?

Also, just a side question, do we know whether ZSNES 2.0 is going to have netplay? (I'm not asking when it will be out. :D )
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It will. That's the point.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54