Config file extension change + ideas

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Clements
Randomness

Config file extension change + ideas

Post by Clements »

Icefox had this cool idea on the previous board that I thought should be looked at again.

He said that the CFG file should really be an ini file (for the Win Port), since Notepad automatically associates itself with it for easy editing, esp. for newcomers to ZSNES. That would be really nice.

Also, I had another (probably much harder to implement) idea of merging the dat and cfg file into one easily editable ini file. This would be awesome (as the current dat is pretty much uneditable), but is probably a lot of work.

Tell me what you think.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

I would be more interested in an editable cht format. If you cannot just drag and drop the cfg file to a text editor, you are too lazy.
_-|-_
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

no, the correct answer would be to change all *.ini files to *.cfg files, cuz ini is really dumb extension for a "Configuration File".

on the same note as Jones', is it really that hard to associate cfg files with notepad?
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I've associated .cfg with notepad as well. Opening notepad manually and dragging the file to it is, like, totally too much work. :P

What I think is that nobody who is unable to open a text file with some different extention would really have any need to be editing the file in the first place. *shrug*
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Making the .dat file into text, or adding features to the .cfg file is a major major pain in the neck.

I deem it as something harder than upgrading something in the GUI.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Clements »

I did look at the source and it looks like that it would be harder to implement than I thought. My bad.
xamenus
Veteran

Re: Config file extension change + ideas

Post by xamenus »

Clements wrote:Icefox had this cool idea on the previous board that I thought should be looked at again.

He said that the CFG file should really be an ini file (for the Win Port), since Notepad automatically associates itself with it for easy editing, esp. for newcomers to ZSNES. That would be really nice.

Also, I had another (probably much harder to implement) idea of merging the dat and cfg file into one easily editable ini file. This would be awesome (as the current dat is pretty much uneditable), but is probably a lot of work.

Tell me what you think.
I don't immediately recall saying that. :? Must have been back in November 2003 when I first registered.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I do have a memory like an elephant. I'm almost certain it was you.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Clements wrote:I do have a memory like an elephant. I'm almost certain it was you.
Must have been back when I was a "zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) n00b". :P