How safe are VPNs?

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

king_harkanian
Rookie

How safe are VPNs?

Post by king_harkanian »

I know, a very noobish question to be sure, but the thing of it is, I intend to install a VPN (in this case, Hotspot Shield) so I can access sites without those pesky Google bots gathering my personal information, to download Super Smash Bros Brawl hacks without Mediafire getting stuck in an infinite download verification loop, and to bypass those jackholes who set up the block at upload.to for US IP addresses. My question is, with my home network being set up the way it is (main PC is wired with a CAT5 cable, two other PCs are connected wirelessly), will installing a VPN mess up and/or interfere with the network connection in any way? I installed it, but I haven't started to use it yet. Is doing this safe? I would use proxies, but they have a higher security risk.
kode54
Zealot

Re: How safe are VPNs?

Post by kode54 »

Well, it may default your traffic to go through the VPN, in which case whoever controls the VPN server can see your Internet traffic. I'm not really sure, though.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

from the description on the site, it looks like all http traffic is directed through the tunnel and subject to ad/survey/etc injection. there's no mention as to whether non-http traffic is tunneled, nor does it say that US-originating traffic uses their German site as the endpoint (meaning it might not do a damn thing for you if you're trying to workaround a site which has banned US IPs in an attempt to prevent itself from being sued out of existence).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

Ah, crap. Are there any decent free VPNs I could use?
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

google trackings
yeah, i hate em.
especialy since google began using https for that purpose, making my proxomitron stuff being less effective against'em.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Wait, I thought Google only used SSL for tracking if the hosting page is SSL? I can understand dodging a country wide IP ban, but dodging tracking bugs is approaching paranoia.
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

Meh. Either way, a free, decent VPN would be nice for at least country-wide ban. I'm not paranoid, but I don't like the idea of having people know where I am and so on. Kinda feels like a violation of privacy.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Do you own a cellphone ? 'Cause if you do, I have some bad news for you.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

If there's one thing I've learned from movies, it's that the NSA can remotely activate your phone, track you with near perfect precision even inside of buildings, and record from your mike with excellent clarity.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a grain of truth in there. </paranoid>
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I'm only aware of pinpointing location anytime the phone's active, which fits the
king_harkanian wrote:I don't like the idea of having people know where I am
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54