Games Not Saved in ZSNES When Launched from Maximus Arcade

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

garybiscuit

Games Not Saved in ZSNES When Launched from Maximus Arcade

Post by garybiscuit »

Hi,

I use Maximus Arcade (front-end) to launch ZSNES (among other emulators). One big problem I've noticed is that when ZSNES is launched from Maximus - as opposed to just running ZSNES on it's own - saved game files are not created correctly when you exit back to Maximus. So, for example...

1) I launch Maximus Arcade
2) From within Maximus Arcade I select "Super Nintendo"
3) I then pick "Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past"
4) Maximus runs ZSNES and loads the "Legend of Zelda..." ROM
5) Within "Legend of Zelda..." I create a new game\player
6) I play a little bit
7) Within "Legend of Zelda..." I save my game
8) I exit out of ZSNES and back to Maximus Arcade (with my special gamepad button combo)
9) When I launch "Legend of Zelda..." again, I see that there is no saved game\player.

Really, this isn't a problem with ZSNES exactly - it's how Maximus Arcade shuts down ZSNES when you exit it - and in looking at the Maximus Arcade forum, it's been a known problem. The trouble is it doesn't look like anyone figured out any good remedies for it - and the forum there has been put into archive mode a long while back. So...

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And, if so, has anyone figured out any *non-awful* remedies for it?

I've gotten pretty annoyed by this (and so reluctant to use SNES9x - I just think ZSNES is better) that I'm really hoping someone has figured out something good.

- Gary
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Games Not Saved in ZSNES When Launched from Maximus Arca

Post by odditude »

how are you calling maximus arcade?

search the forum for any of my posts about running zsnes via file associations and apply the same logic.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
garybiscuit

Post by garybiscuit »

I think you must've misunderstood my description. In my case, Maximus Arcade is started (or "called") like any other Windows program is started, except I've set it to run as soon as my machine boots up. But - that's not really the issue here.

- Gary
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

sorry, fingers got ahead of my brain.

should've been "how are you calling zsnes from within maximus arcade?"
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I believe it helps to define a save path. Otherwise, it would probably have a path issue. Older versions of ZSNES are not well equipped with parsing paths (particularly if it had spaces in it). So, if you have a simple path like "C:\Emulators\SNES\ZSNES\Saves" (w/o the quotes), you will probably get a lot farther. 1.50 and later should handle this better.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Also, enable SRAM check+save.
If it is, in fact, your frontend shutting down ZSNES and not ZSNES shutting down and returning control to the frontend, then that's the problem. The frontend is killing ZSNES instead of letting ZSNES shut down properly.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
garybiscuit

Post by garybiscuit »

Gil_Hamilton,

Enabling SRAM Check+Save did the trick! Thanks for the tip! I must've just overlooked that setting all this time. I think I must've thought it just had to do with loading\saving savestates - instead of dealing with the way a real SNES would do saves. Anyway, thanks again.

- Gary