Where does ZSNES save if save path does not exist?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

netzer

Where does ZSNES save if save path does not exist?

Post by netzer »

I feel like this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find any references to this "problem" exactly.
I upgraded computers a while ago and transferred the same ZSNES folder to the new computer.
Unfortunately, some of the paths in the config data for ZSNES were referring to paths on the old computer (which simply don't exist on the new computer, like completely different drive names).
This led my saves to not appear after I closed and reopened ZSNES to continue playing my game.

To be specific, my old save path was "G:\Games\ZSNES\Saves", but my new computer does not have the G:\ drive. :P

I should have noticed the invalid path sooner but resetting the game within ZSNES still kept my saves, so I had no idea something was wrong.

I've read things about the SRAM feature and ZSNES not actually writing to the hard drive until close or game switch, is this the case for me?
Does ZSNES save in RAM until it decides to save to the hard disk?
This would make sense and explain why my saves still existed when I reset the game, but not when I closed ZSNES and reopened it.

Thanks!
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: Where does ZSNES save if save path does not exist?

Post by badinsults »

If you don't have a path set, the SRAM should be saved in the same folder as the ROM image.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

netzer wrote:Does ZSNES save in RAM until it decides to save to the hard disk?
This would make sense and explain why my saves still existed when I reset the game, but not when I closed ZSNES and reopened it.
Yes.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
netzer

Post by netzer »

I had a path set, it just didn't exist on my computer. :P
Looks like ZSNES just doesn't save anywhere if the save path you set is invalid.

Oh well, I wasn't that far in ToP, and frame skip + turbo button helped me get back to where I was.

Thanks for the replies!
emkirchner2

Post by emkirchner2 »

Hey guys,
A friend put this on a cd for me, and I managed to install it and get it working by myself. It turns out that my lufia 2 game was installed in some weird languaged. I somehow managed to fixed that by downloading a different lufia 2. Im not computer illiterate, but I don't know what I'm doing here. So, heres the problem please help: I played lufia 2 last night, saved and everything, when I woke up this morning it was all gone. Can anyone help me? As far as I know from reading these posts, I don't have a save path made?! o.O
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I'm guessing you're playing off the CD, which is read-only.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Or when you've copied stuff from your cd to the hard drive it's still set as "read only".
emkirchner2

Post by emkirchner2 »

Thanks for the responses but nope the CDs are long gone. I play it off my extendable hard drive. I think I might of figured it out lol. Would you guys know what type of file the saves would be? Smr or smc?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Save RAM is .SRM, save states are .ZS*.
emkirchner2

Post by emkirchner2 »

So, will it be safe to shut off my computer tonight lol? I did it right I take it. I have an zst file and a ink file both of them said modified at (the time I quit the game) ! Thanks for all the help guys!!! <3 I lost my tech friend and I have been fumbling through stuff ha ha, but I'm doing it! Thanks :)