Cheats Don't Work!

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

jlwelch

Cheats Don't Work!

Post by jlwelch »

So I recently downloaded the ZSNES emulator and then the Seiken Densetsu 3 ROM. Shortly afterwards, I downloaded a .CHT file to put cheats on there so leveling wouldn't be such a chore. This file came with an absolute shitload of cheats but none of them work. I googled "Seiken Densetsu 3 cheats" and looked at virtually every single link on the first two pages of results. They keep referencing the same codes that don't work (listed below). To be absolutely clear, the name on the .CHT file is "Seiken Densetsu 3" so it is the same as the ROM. I toggle it to ON, set it to automatically load the code I chose everytime I start the game, restarted the game for good measure, and found they don't work. I'm so confused. I've even watched YouTube videos of people using cheats in ZSNES and I know I'm doing it right but nothing works. Please assist!

These are all codes that don't work...

Experience/Level up Codes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

264,000,000 Experience *
7FEDFEFF Player 1 7FF0FEFF Player 2 7FF3FEFF Player 3
* You will gain a Level when you kill an enemy until you reach 99.

*NOT TESTED*

Other Experience Codes *
7FEDFFFF 255 Experience Player 1 7FED00FF 65280 Experience Player 1
7FF0FFFF 255 Experience Player 2 7FF100FF 65280 Experience Player 2
7FF3FFFF 255 Experience Player 3 7FF400FF 65280 Experience Player 3
* You will gain the specified # of exp. per enemy that's killed.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: Cheats Don't Work!

Post by badinsults »

You need to confirm whether or not these cheats are for the patched or unpatched version of the ROM.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

In testing, they don't seem to work. I don't think the translation patch affects these things (in some translation patches they do, but not in this case I believe).

There seems to be some trigger to get these codes to work since reading the cheat docs suggest that there are quirks to them. If anything, I would say these are unreliable in the way you want these cheats to operate.

Deal with grinding though... overleveling early is detrimental to final classes anyways IIRC (it doesn't happen normally, but it's not to your benefit).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

exp codes are pretty tough to make for SD3.

here is some of my work, but note the extra steps:
7FF8BF FF
7FF8C0 7F
These two addresses correspond to the second enemy's exp yield, iirc. Only enable it when you go in places with monsters. Disable it before moving to a screen without monsters. Only save your state with the code off. Always keep the previous values untouched so that disabling the code restores them.
Obviously, the second (iirc) enemy will drop max exp (32767), regardless its original worth. You can level way past anything sane on any screen with 2 monsters (a lot of them).

7EB0A7 63
The level of one of the enemies. Don't remember which. This directly affects the enemy's stats (and exp yield), so that will become one tough bitch. Still nice if you want to feel like you earned the exp properly. :p
Same as above, only enable this code in areas with enemies, disable it before leaving monster areas, etc.
Obviously, level is bumped to 99.

Remember, levelling past 18 or 38 without your first (or second, respectively) class change is a complete waste, since changing classes maxes out the previous class stats in one go, letting you bump stats higher with your levels.
You'll run out of stats to pump around level 48 (and only gain 2 max HP per level, iirc), anyway.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

grinvader wrote:exp codes are pretty tough to make for SD3.
I'm slightly curious now, why is it so hard to to make exp codes for SD3 as opposed to other games?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I assume because it uses the same memory for different things when needed.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Cheats Do Work!

Sorry, I had to.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gonzo wrote:
I'm slightly curious now, why is it so hard to to make exp codes for SD3 as opposed to other games?
The given exp of a party member doesn't exist in a clean fashion in memory. Probably byte-spread, or some other trick.
Hmm, from OP's codes, it seems to be big-endian. Fun.
paulguy wrote:I assume because it uses the same memory for different things when needed.
That. 7E/7F is WRAM land, and although some games have no problem with 128K, for SD3 it's not the case. Keeping these codes on all the time will crash the game.

At least with the english patch. Maybe related to it ? Who knows. Haven't traced the routines.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
jlwelch

Post by jlwelch »

here is some of my work, but note the extra steps:
7FF8BF FF
7FF8C0 7F
These two addresses correspond to the second enemy's exp yield, iirc. Only enable it when you go in places with monsters. Disable it before moving to a screen without monsters. Only save your state with the code off. Always keep the previous values untouched so that disabling the code restores them.
Obviously, the second (iirc) enemy will drop max exp (32767), regardless its original worth. You can level way past anything sane on any screen with 2 monsters (a lot of them).

7EB0A7 63
The level of one of the enemies. Don't remember which. This directly affects the enemy's stats (and exp yield), so that will become one tough bitch. Still nice if you want to feel like you earned the exp properly. :p
Same as above, only enable this code in areas with enemies, disable it before leaving monster areas, etc.
Obviously, level is bumped to 99.

I am sorry, but I have tried these codes and followed the instructions EXACTLY as you have said and they do not work. I don't understand it, but it seems I keep finding cheat codes that don't work. Did it work when you played the game?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Congratulations, you found the quote button. I edited your post so it makes sense.

If these codes don't work, you don't have the right ROM (or you don't input them right). Find a clean dump, and get the patch from the correct place (or read the manual).
皆黙って俺について来い!!