Zbattle Down Again - An Alternative in the Works

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

DivideByZero

Zbattle Down Again - An Alternative in the Works

Post by DivideByZero »

http://darkakumas.blogspot.com/p/z-net-30.html

Zbattle is down yet again.

However, DarkAkuma has done some pretty cool work on his Z-Net project since it's 2.0 version; most notably, a seemingly improved GUI that is far removed from the older, unfriendly mIRC view. The pictures and text speak for themselves.

If interested in seeing this project take off the ground, please show your support!

EDIT:

Z-Net has entered public beta phase! It is now available for download to anyone who signs up on the forums. Read all about it here: http://darkakumas.blogspot.com/2012/05/ ... -beta.html

If having trouble accessing the forum (some have reported this), trying using a proxy like http://kproxy.com/ .

-- Admin edit
Flash news: DarkAkuma's new site is http://www.z-net.us . Time to update those links !
Last edited by DivideByZero on Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DivideByZero

Re: Zbattle Down Again - An Alternative in the Works

Post by DivideByZero »

I think the project DarkAkuma has in mind looks very exciting. Hopefully we can motivate him to continue it!
Corwii

Post by Corwii »

I agree. I loved Zbattle, so simple to just sign in, get connected, and start playing in seconds. I'm really hoping he finishes this since Zbattle doesn't look like it's gonna come back anytime soon :(. Why did it go down anyways? Gosh I miss it :(.
3ds code: 3609-1345-1126
DarkAkuma

Post by DarkAkuma »

Corwii wrote:I agree. I loved Zbattle, so simple to just sign in, get connected, and start playing in seconds. I'm really hoping he finishes this since Zbattle doesn't look like it's gonna come back anytime soon :(. Why did it go down anyways? Gosh I miss it :(.
While I have tried to contact veeborg, he has yet to contact me back. I have a strong feeling though that it was due to hardware failure, and the amount of time that it has been down is purely because he hasn't been able to replace it yet. I could be wrong though, and he could just be sick of maintaining the project. And if that is the case, that's pretty much where my zbattle replacement projects comes in.

And to give a short clarification to the OP and the page linked. My project was/is an exact clone of zbattle that I created in 2010 to amuse myself, never really intending to release it. Feature and general useability wise, it is basically 100% done outside of testing and resulting bug fixes. With zbattle now down, with zero info known as to why or if/when it may be coming back, I've become willing to offer up this project for release as a 3rd installment of my Z-Net projects. Assuming there's enough interest shown in it for me to do so.

Whats also not mentioned in the OP is that the state of the project right now revolves around a poll. One I've setup purely for people to quickly and easily express their interest in seeing my program released and maintained. I created it with a 1 month deadline, currently with 18 days left. I ended up on what should be a fairly reasonable goal of 50 votes for me to at least polish up and release what I have so far, even if I don't plan to guarantee my continued maintenance or advancement of the project.
My Blog
Z-Net Website Page
[url=irc://irc.gamesurge.net/Z-Net]#Z-Net Channel[/url]
#Z-Net Channel (In Web Browser)
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Yeah I hope you're able to finish the project. I'm sure a lot of snes fans will be looking forward to it. There's one thing I wish was implemented is the fact that there is a troll detector. If someone comes in your game and leaves without saying anything that they are automatically banned from joining you again. I've had major problems with that in zbattle and hopefully it will split the true players from the ones who bullshit and horse around. Getting kind of tired with hamachi is people only play a limited number of games on there and people seem so stuck on trying to beat each other, cooperative games aren't even implemented. And I also hate the fact that 90% of my chat is left unresponsive, which is again annoying as hell. I hope people really do get their act together and stop this stupid stuff with me. Maybe it will also give me a chance to play co-op with people like I used to as I also miss those days.
DivideByZero

Post by DivideByZero »

Just thought I'd stop by and let people know DarkAkuma got the vote total he was aiming for. As a result, the new client has just recently entered beta testing phase. For those who have yet to visit the Z-Net 3.0 project page, here is a teaser as to what is in development.

In the meantime, please come check out the blog/forums and get involved! There is even a special thread for former zbattle.net users looking for a new home, accessible here: http://z-net.site90.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15

For the sake of completeness, here are some useful links:

Blog: http://darkakumas.blogspot.com/
Forums: http://z-net.site90.com/phpBB3/index.php
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

Hi

I'm one of the old school member of zbattle.net as well as z-net when it first came out. Haven't visited zbattle in quite a while and it's sad to see that it's down. Don't know what happened to it but it's nice to see that the Z-net project is still alive. :) Your Z-Net forum links are not working for me btw.
DarkAkuma

Post by DarkAkuma »

FistOfFury wrote:Hi

I'm one of the old school member of zbattle.net as well as z-net when it first came out. Haven't visited zbattle in quite a while and it's sad to see that it's down. Don't know what happened to it but it's nice to see that the Z-net project is still alive. :) Your Z-Net forum links are not working for me btw.
Hey there. I remember you! =)

The forums seem to be working fine right now. I know early in the evening the server was having some issues loading is all. Free hosts... uggg. But it's still probably better then my last one. =/

I don't know if I would say my Z-Net project is still alive exactly. If anything its fixing to get reborn. Z-Net 2.0 these past years has remained dead after I decided to stop work on it (to many limits in its way). I've worked on related things like my new client in recent years, but purely for myself as I felt there was no place in the scene for such projects to thrive. I only now am going to release this just because of zbattle kicking the bucket, and there was enough user demand for it.

Hopefully I can get this properly tested and polished in the next couple weeks, and get it out the door asap for everyone. Things are proceeding well so far, just not as fast as I, and probably most others would care for.

EDIT:

Well the forums server is still experiences issues. Hopefully it will blow over soon.
My Blog
Z-Net Website Page
Thino

Post by Thino »

please release this ASAP

it makes matchmaking sooo much easier, no need to give out your IP directly to someone, no need to have the same filenames for roms, make sure the rom directory is the same, and gambling on all these full hamachi servers to know who wants to play which game :cry:
DarkAkuma

Post by DarkAkuma »

While not as large of a beta test group as I could hope for, it is progressing nicely.

The IRC client core code seems pretty stable now. Installation/Setup works well. Game list window hasn't shown any issues in like a week. Game selection and zsnes start up seems to work all the time now. Right now, most of the attention is on the renaming and file transfer code. Both I'd guess to be about 75% stable, if throwing out odd numbers like that could really even apply. I personally think the renaming code is almost polished. The file transfer feature though, its hard to say when that will be done. But while I personally didn't experience it, most people seem to say zbattles transfer feature rarely worked anyway, so this could be close to on par already. Some of the testers are saying the transfer feature is already better. So who knows. =/

I'm hoping to release it in some form on Monday, but I can't guarantee that yet. And by "some form", meaning either a public beta made available only on my forums (to help weed out remaining issues before a full release), or a full release itself.
My Blog
Z-Net Website Page
Thino

Post by Thino »

that's nice to hear.

from my experience I believe zbattle file transfer only worked when both player had ports forwarded when using a router but I might be wrong.

any chances to have zsnes 1.51 working on this one, cuz I remember only 1.36, 1.42 and 1.42n working on zbattle, or is there a specific problem with 1.51 on netplay that Im not aware of?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Netplay on ZSNES 1.5x is deprecated due to core changes, hack removal, etc

it's in the works to come back in ZSNES 2.0. don't ask when it's out, it's out when it's out and no sooner.

sheriff edit: by deprecated he means it's completely removed due to the core being deprecated.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
DivideByZero

Post by DivideByZero »

It's been released! More on the front page of the blog.
Thino

Post by Thino »

The forum link doesn't work :(
DivideByZero

Post by DivideByZero »

Others have mentioned the forums being inaccessible for them as well. I will pass this along to DarkAkuma.

In the meantime, try using a proxy like http://kproxy.com/ to access the beta. Note that you will still be required to join the forums to access the download.
DivideByZero

Post by DivideByZero »

Z-Net I has been publicly released! Anyone can check out and download the project on the following webpage: http://z-net.cu.cc/
HDStrife

Post by HDStrife »

Its really great. Everyone who liked zbattle will be happy about this. Grab it while its still hot!
AbaddonZero

Post by AbaddonZero »

I'll try today with a friend, I hope it works. Thanks! :D
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

DivideByZero wrote:Z-Net I has been publicly released! Anyone can check out and download the project on the following webpage: http://z-net.cu.cc/
DarkAkuma's site is now found over at http://www.z-net.us .

Updated the top post as well.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54