That New Windows XP Icon For ZSNES Is Sleak!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

sprite
Rookie

That New Windows XP Icon For ZSNES Is Sleak!

Post by sprite »

This new version of ZSNES that I downloaded today has a fantastic anti-aliased Windows XP icon. People don’t normally pay attention to those kinds of small things, but I found it almost as important as a feature addition. Whoever designed that icon, nice job! :D
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

You might want to thank cdbsi, if he ever bothers to re-register.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Agozer wrote:You might want to thank cdbsi, if he ever bothers to re-register.
That guy is my hero.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

Hehe, I was one of the people "mouthing off" to cbdsi, to get his Icon "XP Compliant"
(on the old Forums).
Yes, he sure came through!
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

He did reregister.

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/profile.p ... file&u=103

And his icon does kick serious arse.
sprite
Rookie

Post by sprite »

LDAWG wrote:Hehe, I was one of the people "mouthing off" to cbdsi, to get his Icon "XP Compliant"
(on the old Forums).
dido!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Clements wrote:He did reregister.

Everything is just fine and dandy then. :D
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

PS - It's 'sleek'.
cdbsi
Rookie

Post by cdbsi »

sprite wrote:This new version of ZSNES that I downloaded today has a fantastic anti-aliased Windows XP icon. People don’t normally pay attention to those kinds of small things, but I found it almost as important as a feature addition. Whoever designed that icon, nice job! :D
Great! I'm glad you like it! My main goal was for the majority of users to enjoy the icon.

Perfect. :)
snkcube wrote:
Agozer wrote:You might want to thank cdbsi, if he ever bothers to re-register.
That guy is my hero.
Clements wrote:He did reregister.

sprite wrote:
LDAWG wrote:Hehe, I was one of the people "mouthing off" to cbdsi, to get his Icon "XP Compliant"
(on the old Forums).
dido!
Thanks! :)

P.S. - I'm baaaack!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

You certainly took your time.
cdbsi
Rookie

Post by cdbsi »

Nach fixed my account for me. I was registered on July 29th but my account was inactive and I couldn't activate it.

Hurray.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I personnaly use the 48*48 version.
"It perfectly fits", to quote good ol' Indiana.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
sprite
Rookie

Post by sprite »

cdbsi wrote:Great! I'm glad you like it! My main goal was for the majority of users to enjoy the icon.
All of us like it!
It sure looks awesome! Can you tell us what you used to make it. Oh, and have you ever tried rendering icons in 3D Studio MAX in *PNG and converting them to icons? That's how all the Windows XP icons were created; with 3dsmax and David Gould's toon shader plug-in called Illustrate!
cdbsi
Rookie

Post by cdbsi »

The only tool I used was Paint Shop Pro 8.02, basically the icon is made from vectors but the SFC logo has a few added effects.

Sweeeeet-a!!

EDIT: Doesn't ZSNES rock?!!

@Grinvader: It's good to be back. :)

"No ticket!" - Indiana from the Last Crusade
sprite
Rookie

YES

Post by sprite »

Edit: Not only do I love how cleanly it's executed, but the idea very much too! :D
In my previous post I wrote:Browsing for ROMs is especially inconvenient with ZSNES
I take my words back. It's not inconvenient at all. I made that statement without proper research. So yeah... it would be only fare if you threw things at me. (Might I suggest expensive delicious snacks?)
Last edited by sprite on Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Browsing for roms for zsnes? What do you mean?
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

rage46 wrote:Browsing for roms for zsnes? What do you mean?
He means the directory tree browser that opens when you click load.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

Agozer wrote:
This means that he can't read all of the name on his roms like "Far East of Eden Zero.smc" and is mad about it. This is partially sarcastic.
Everything I say is a lie.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Oblivion wrote:
Agozer wrote:
This means that he can't read all of the name on his roms like "Far East of Eden Zero.smc" and is mad about it. This is partially sarcastic.
Ahh, I see now.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Maybe I should try to fix up the load menu and make it a bit more feature rich?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by The Sage Of Time »

I never had any problem with the load menu, it's in fact very nice if you ask me.
Although, I suppose I can see why some people eould be bothered with it. Guess it's just a matter of taste.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Only a tree-view interface would properly illustrate the file structure to inexperienced users, but the low-resolution GUI is prohibitive.
sprite
Rookie

Post by sprite »

Ichinisan finally wrote:the low-resolution GUI is prohibitive.
Phew! Now that someone had the guts to say it first, I can honestly say that I don't like the GUI either; at all. There; I said it :oops: It would be nice if it could be changed into a normal OS interface, but this might be a matter of principal and tradition, so it's probably not going to happen.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

sprite wrote:
Ichinisan finally wrote:the low-resolution GUI is prohibitive.
Phew! Now that someone had the guts to say it first, I can honestly say that I don't like the GUI either; at all. There; I said it :oops: It would be nice if it could be changed into a normal OS interface, but this might be a matter of principal and tradition, so it's probably not going to happen.
It's more of a matter of cross-platform compatibility; the current GUI works with both Windows and Linux. A replacement would have to be written in something like GTK or wxWidgets.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

GTK wouldn't work effectively because the runtime on Windows is huge. It's about the same size as the .NET runtime (they're both ridiculous).

They lead to small end user executables (really), but you can't just expect every platform the software is run on to have the runtime. Then you're stuck, because of the prohibitive size of distributing the runtime itself (and also, an administrator has to install it and do so successfully; GTK can get tricky on Win32 especially with multiple versions).

Plus there's the fact that GTK, like most Linux/GNU software, is not ideally distibuted as binary packages. Building from source is the preferred method; then you get whatever you decided to build and nothing more (not to mention potential optimization benefits).

All in all, I think GTK would be a bad choice.

For alternatives, there's more than I can name. wxWindows is reportedly very easy to develop with, but your base executable will be around one megabyte (somewhat less without excess debugging information and the like, I imagine).

Qt can't be used for Windows development for free, so that's at least partly out of the picture. You could say you're developing only for Linux/GNU and have somebody on the 'outside' build your win32 binaries, of course.

FLTK looks like it promotes organized, clear code and small executable size for cross-platform applications using GUIs. It's not the most well known or widely used, but it would likely work (in the theoretical sense).

Tcl/Tk I don't know much about.

And there's a ton more interfaces, frameworks, wrappers, and other forms of abstraction layers which sound good, but are really probably not a good choice for most programmers in any task (either because they're not actively maintained or because of their limitations).